Considering a Disney Cruise - a few ?'s

fsuhockette

1) Does Disney ever offer cruise incentives? OBC? Discounted rates, etc?

2) Our kids would be 5 & 6yo. We've cruised on various cruises w/o the kids.

a) how often did you find your kids were with you vs in childcare?

b) how do the evenings work? how late can the kids be in care?

3) What's your favorite Disney ship out of FL?

4) For a 1st time disney experience would you go to Disney World or on a cruise? I realize they're very different but its a big decision and a load of cash.

5) Any other words of wisdom?

4) For a 1st time disney experience would you go to Disney World or on a cruise? I realize they're very different but its a big decision and a load of cash.

1. Yes, just book with a reputable TA and you can get some really nice OBC and perks. Discounted rates is a no, but the OBC helps.

2. No kids so can't help with that.

3. So far we have only been on the Magic and loved it, but I wouldn't hesitate to sail on the Fantasy. We don't really like short cruises that's why we have only sailed the Magic.

4. We have never been to Disney World, so I would have to say a cruise all the way!!!:D At least on a cruise you have already paid for your food!

5. Book the cruise and enjoy the magic of Disney at sea!!:cool:

1. If you are flexible with dates, you can find a reasonable rate. Holidays and summer can be very expensive

2. Disney clubs are open all day. I want to say 9 am to midnight. There is no extra charge. (Some lines charge an late babysitting fee for the clubs).

My kids are older 14 and 11. But, they never want to be with us. Since they were young, they want to be in the clubs hanging out with their new friends. We do force them to eat dinner with us.

3. We prefer the smaller ships Wonder or Magic.

4. My kids prefer a cruise. We love cruising. It is a very relaxing vacation. No cooking ,cleaning, deciding where to eat, etc.. On the ship, there are activity for kids, families and adults.

1) Does Disney ever offer cruise incentives? OBC? Discounted rates, etc? As a PP said, no discounts, but you can get OBCs if you book with a TA. If you book online, they offer a minimal OBC...something like $25.

a) how often did you find your kids were with you vs in childcare? We have not cruised with kids so young, but our pre-teens (at the time) could not be pried away from activities except with the promise that they could return immediately after dinner.

b) how do the evenings work? how late can the kids be in care? Not sure of the exact times, but I know it's very late.

3) What's your favorite Disney ship out of FL? The Wonder was our first and is still our favorite. However, we did the Dream last year and loved her and are ridiculously excited about the Fantasy in November. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a Disney ship.

4) For a 1st time disney experience would you go to Disney World or on a cruise? I realize they're very different but its a big decision and a load of cash. I am a firm believer that Disney World should be a memory every child has. :) That being said...at 5 and 6? It would be tough. Disney is EXHAUSTING. And, depending on what time of year you go, the heat and humidity can only serve to further aggravate the exhaustion, complaining, frustration and temper tantrums....then there's the kids and how they handle it! ;) In all honesty? I would do a cruise at this age (they'll have WAY more access to the characters on board than they would at the parks as well) and wait until they're older (maybe 9 and 10?) to take on the Parks. The other option is, of course, spending a day or 2 at Disney prior to going on the boat!

5) Any other words of wisdom? If cost is a consideration, keep in mind that the food costs at Disney can be enormous. Not an issue on the boat! :)

Disney usually gives you $25 for booking online. Sometimes you can get even more OBC by using the Disney Visa card to pay for your cruise. Of course if you go through a TA they will have their own OBC that they include. Pricing however, is always the same regardless of who you book through. I have noticed a lot of "discounting" as of late. They are usually doing this by offering a restricted booking - and the date is normally close - say 2-3 months away. The pricing can't be beat when you are able to snag one of those deals though. We had a great experience booking a VGT (restricted - guarantee verandah room) rate this past Jan. I believe we booked maybe at most 3 months out. We were assigned a fantastic room and the pricing was awesome.

If you do cruise, and book a future cruise while on board - you get a nice OBC and 10% off the cruise fare.

I have a 12 y/o and a 3 y/o ... Both have cruised 2x now

Our first cruise, my son was 2 so he was no old enough to be in the kid's clubs (I would not call the clubs on DCL childcare - definitely more of an activity center that doubles as babysitting if you need it) We did book him nursery time to concur with our dinner - so that he did not have to sit through a long dinner. My daughter was going on 11 and was in the tween club - once she felt comfortable with the ship and it's layout she wanted to be there all of the time.

Next cruise, kids were a year older, and my son LOVED the club. He would ask to go after dinner, and for an hour here or there at any given time throughout the day. He would tell the CM's who worked in his club to call us when he was ready to go :) I would say he spent maybe 2 hours after dinner each night in the club and maybe a random hour here and there the rest of the time. My daughter met friends before we even got to our stateroom on the first day of this cruise and she spent a great deal of time in her club with her friends.

I think midnight. I know the tween club stays open until 1 though.

I have only been on the Dream, in two weeks I will be on the Fantasy. They are very similar BUT I will let you all know how I feel when I get back.

This is a hard decision. We actually combined my son's first WDW visit with a shorter cruise on the Dream. We really couldn't decide at the time which to do so we did both. I figured if we were paying the airfare to get there we might as well get the most out of our $$. If you could combine 3-5 nights at Disney with a 4 night cruise that would be a good compromise. I don't reccomend a 3 night cruise because it stressed us out - trying to do/see everything on the ship in 3 short days.

5 & 6 is a great age for WDW but also a great age for the cruise. The vacations are totally different though - so I guess it depends on what vacation type you are looking for.

I have heard people say the cruise is more relaxed, and while it can be, there is so much available to do that it could be just as packed with activity as a WDW trip. You could hang at the pool, or on a beach, all day long OR you can have excursions in each port and do activities while on the ship. Most, if not all of the activities will provide for some great family together time, but there are also adult only activities if you wanted to sneak away from the kids for a bit.

Disney usually gives you $25 for booking online. Sometimes you can get even more OBC by using the Disney Visa card to pay for your cruise. Of course if you go through a TA they will have their own OBC that they include. Pricing however, is always the same regardless of who you book through. I have noticed a lot of "discounting" as of late. They are usually doing this by offering a restricted booking - and the date is normally close - say 2-3 months away. The pricing can't be beat when you are able to snag one of those deals though. We had a great experience booking a VGT (restricted - guarantee verandah room) rate this past Jan. I believe we booked maybe at most 3 months out. We were assigned a fantastic room and the pricing was awesome.

If you do cruise, and book a future cruise while on board - you get a nice OBC and 10% off the cruise fare.

I have a 12 y/o and a 3 y/o ... Both have cruised 2x now

Our first cruise, my son was 2 so he was no old enough to be in the kid's clubs (I would not call the clubs on DCL childcare - definitely more of an activity center that doubles as babysitting if you need it) We did book him nursery time to concur with our dinner - so that he did not have to sit through a long dinner. My daughter was going on 11 and was in the tween club - once she felt comfortable with the ship and it's layout she wanted to be there all of the time.

Next cruise, kids were a year older, and my son LOVED the club. He would ask to go after dinner, and for an hour here or there at any given time throughout the day. He would tell the CM's who worked in his club to call us when he was ready to go :) I would say he spent maybe 2 hours after dinner each night in the club and maybe a random hour here and there the rest of the time. My daughter met friends before we even got to our stateroom on the first day of this cruise and she spent a great deal of time in her club with her friends.

I think midnight. I know the tween club stays open until 1 though.

I have only been on the Dream, in two weeks I will be on the Fantasy. They are very similar BUT I will let you all know how I feel when I get back.

This is a hard decision. We actually combined my son's first WDW visit with a shorter cruise on the Dream. We really couldn't decide at the time which to do so we did both. I figured if we were paying the airfare to get there we might as well get the most out of our $$. If you could combine 3-5 nights at Disney with a 4 night cruise that would be a good compromise. I don't reccomend a 3 night cruise because it stressed us out - trying to do/see everything on the ship in 3 short days.

5 & 6 is a great age for WDW but also a great age for the cruise. The vacations are totally different though - so I guess it depends on what vacation type you are looking for.

I have heard people say the cruise is more relaxed, and while it can be, there is so much available to do that it could be just as packed with activity as a WDW trip. You could hang at the pool, or on a beach, all day long OR you can have excursions in each port and do activities while on the ship. Most, if not all of the activities will provide for some great family together time, but there are also adult only activities if you wanted to sneak away from the kids for a bit.

The $25 OBC for online bookings ended in May. :(

:)

I haven't sailed yet, so I can't answer most of your questions, but the first one I can address. I booked with Travelocity and got $275 of onboard credit. But the $200 part was 'on select cruises' only. I think the other portion can be on any cruise. Disney is also running a special right now out of Galveston where you can get a balcony/verandah cabin for the price of a window cabin. This combined with the OBC is what convinced me to book with Disney. If Galveston works for you, these are some great deals.

Disney has on occasion Kids Sale Free offers. Our first Disney cruise was in Mar 2010 after they open a kids sale free promotion in late August 2009. It was really funny because I had just booked a Christmas cruise with Carnival the week before. It was such a good deal for a Disney cruise I couldn't pass it up so we sailed on Carnival for Christmas and Disney for spring break.

We live in FL and go to WDW 8-12 times per year. Also have been on the Dream and the Fantasy. If you only have the means to do one or the other, I would start with going to WDW and put off the cruise until later. With the 4 theme parks at WDW you can spend a week doing so many different things its almost overwhelming. The cruise is very fun but remember it is a ship and has limited space, limited activities and limited dining options compared to WDW. And the swimming pools on the cruise ships are so crowded in the afternoon on sea days that there is no amount of chlorine that make them sanitary. Sometimes there are so many people in the pools you could walk across them without getting wet! Pure nasty from my perspective. However a good tip is if you want to go to a cruise ship pool, go very early before the masses get up and eat. The pool water is fresh every morning (new water) and no crowds. And if you want a nice lounge chair right next to the pool and someone put a towel on it at 6am (this happens a lot as people try to "reserve" chairs) , just remove the towel and use the chair. Disney has a strict "no saving pool side lounge chair" policy.

If your children have never been to Disney World than I would choose a land based vacation vs a cruise. At 5 and 6 years old they are still young enough to believe in the magic and I think that is very special at WDW. Many older children still believe in the magic of Disney (even us adults!)...but there is something "more" when they are younger. If you stay at a Moderate or Deluxe resort your resort will have a very nice pool area with a slide...maybe a splash area depending on the resort.....lots of different things to see and do. I wouldn't rush the vacation, but would try to spend a week...and have a day with nothing planned except pool time and just hanging out at the resort or Downtown Disney.

See if you can do a split between a 3/4 night cruise on the Dream and a 3/4 night stay at WDW. I would suggest WDW first.....and then a relaxing cruise to end the vacation. If you do this...maybe only go to 2 theme parks....Magic Kingdom and one other park....so you are not too rushed. I would play around with the costs and see what you can work out. A moderate or value resort...with the free dining plan might be the same cost as a 7-night cruise. Not sure though....just some suggestions.

Have fun planning!!

If the sailings aren't selling they offer better rates, but very restricted. If you are on a cruise you can book another cruise and get 10% off and an OBC, and if you get the right TA you can get an OBC from them.

But to get the best rates you have to book when the kids are in school, being so young you can pull them if need be.

When our kids were 6/11 and 7/12 on our first 2 cruises, we barely saw them. They loved the clubs.

We always ate dinner together and went to the shows or they went to the clubs. Smaller kids can stay until midnight. I know my little one would be asleep on a mat at times.

We have been on The Magic 2x (about to be 4) and The Wonder 1, love them both. We hope to do The Fantasy next year.

Our DS11's first WDW trip he was 8 months old and has been there almost ever year until 2007. THey LOVE it. DD was 18 months at her first trip. They love both, but for a first trip I would do WDW.

Do your research, go to the disboards, there are ways to make a WDW trip cheaper then just booking on the website. You can stay offsite, you can get codes. I wouldn't do it during the summer, way too hot. I would do fall or spring, even winter if you can. Even during peak times there are methods to doing it without going nuts.

Parks or cruise don't expect to do everything! Pick and choose, it will be there next time. Make some awesome memories with your kids and have fun.

Either choice and you will have fun :).

Can I add on a question?

How far in advance does Disney put out the itineraries?

Right now I can see the end of 2013. We are looking WAY off into the future, but it will be a full family trip with 6 adults and 3-5 kids. We just want to know when we should book to get the cabins we want and where.

Can I add on a question?

How far in advance does Disney put out the itineraries?

Right now I can see the end of 2013. We are looking WAY off into the future, but it will be a full family trip with 6 adults and 3-5 kids. We just want to know when we should book to get the cabins we want and where.

Currently, DCL only has through 2013 posted. The rumor is that 2014 will be released about October.

:)

Archived