CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Hello Everyone :)

Just looking to iron out the last details of our travel plans.

We're renting a car in Philadelphia and dropping it off at Newark Liberty Airport. Then the plan is to hop a cab from there.

My question is:

Can we just call a cab from the car rental place or should we make our way over to one of the terminals and find the taxi stand?

Would the price be any different calling from Hertz's location going to Cape Liberty?

If it's better to go to the terminal, is one better than the other for a cab?

Definitely take a taxi from one of the terminals...it wouldn't surprise me if taxis are not even allowed to pick you up at the on airport car rental facilities. Terminal A is closest to the care rental facilities...take the AirTrain from station P3 to the terminal.

I 'm trying to find Meg for an answer to a question. I hope she checks in again. Im on the Dec. 3 2012 sailing on the Explorer. She can reach me there.

Thanks!

here i ammmmmmm

Sorry fell asleep really early.......i will come look on the roll call!!

Definitely take a taxi from one of the terminals...it wouldn't surprise me if taxis are not even allowed to pick you up at the on airport car rental facilities. Terminal A is closest to the care rental facilities...take the AirTrain from station P3 to the terminal.

Ok. Thank you.

Wanted to let you know my opinion of the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Edison NJ.

Arrived early at the hotel. Had requested a low floor room and they gave us a room on the 3rd floor. Asked if they had anything lower and we were given a nice room on the first floor right near the outside door where our car was parked. Room was clean and beds were comfortable. Drove to the nearby mall and ate dinner at Rainforest Cafe. Came back and spent some time in the indoor pool and hot tub. The pool wasn't large but the area was very clean and well maintained. Pool and hot tub was also very clean.

Breakfast the next morning was good with waffles, breakfast sandwiches you heated in the microwave, juices, yogurt, fruit cups, pastry, etc. Again, the area was clean and well stocked even though it was very busy.

Checked out and headed to the port which was an easy 35 minute drive.

We will stay there again if we go out of Bayonne. Friendly, helpful staff and easy to get to.

:confused:Okay, I've read thru this post and am so confused. There are 4 of us coming from western Md. for the Dec. 3rd cruise and would like to stay the night. Can someone tell me the best place to stay? Should I find a hotel that lets us park there instead of the peir? I'm just so confused about what to do and I have the other couple that has never cruised before to worry about too. We always go out of Baltimore so this is a totally new area to me.

Thanks in advance for helping a totally lost and confused lady ;)

Wanted to let you know my opinion of the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Edison NJ.

Arrived early at the hotel. Had requested a low floor room and they gave us a room on the 3rd floor. Asked if they had anything lower and we were given a nice room on the first floor right near the outside door where our car was parked. Room was clean and beds were comfortable. Drove to the nearby mall and ate dinner at Rainforest Cafe. Came back and spent some time in the indoor pool and hot tub. The pool wasn't large but the area was very clean and well maintained. Pool and hot tub was also very clean.

Breakfast the next morning was good with waffles, breakfast sandwiches you heated in the microwave, juices, yogurt, fruit cups, pastry, etc. Again, the area was clean and well stocked even though it was very busy.

Checked out and headed to the port which was an easy 35 minute drive.

We will stay there again if we go out of Bayonne. Friendly, helpful staff and easy to get to.

Glad it worked out for you.....that area is a good option for driving in and crashing in a hotel a reasonable drive from the pier..(of course, only if you have a car....) And thanks for coming back to report to us...

My DH, DD, and SO did an Explorer cruise on August 30th. We drove in from uptate NY the day before and stayed at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island. They have free parking while you are on the cruise, a nice breakfast in the AM, and really nice rooms. We stayed in the same room, plenty of room for the four of us. It was a bit over $200 for the night and parking. I just made the reservation and did not go with the "Park and Cruise" package since that was a bit more but had no trouble from the hotel leaving our car for 10 days. There is a $12 toll to get onto the island but that was the only extra expense. I would advise finding supper before you get to the hotel because dining options for dinner are a bit limited near the hote. We like to get in for the night and relax for the evening. The Hilton Garden Inn is in the same location. They also allow parking while you cruise. There is a nice Italian Restaurant at the Hilton but it was a bit pricey for us.

Does anyone know what the price difference if I bring a small enclosed trailer (Uhaul style) to the lot at the terminal? We had a packed Jeep this past year on or 5 night, and will need a lot more room on the 9 night with 5 people!

1LuckyLady,

We live in Frederick, MD and are going on a RCI cruise Oct. 28th. I can let you know what we did when we get back! We are planning to go up the day before and stay over. I will find you and private message you when we return.

Edited by jmca110

1LuckyLady,

We live in Frederick, MD and are going on a RCI cruise Oct. 28th. I can let you know what we did when we get back! We are planning to go up the day before and stay over. I will find you and private message you when we return.

Hi jmca110! Also from MD and heading on the ExOS on the 28th. Join our Roll call, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1567298

Ed

Yes it's possible to visit prior to boarding. I believe you can just make a right turn from the access road and park near the memorial before you drop off your bags and park. There is no fee. Then you can continue on the access road, drop your bags, and park. I'm sure others who have done this will comment. If you stop at the memorial first, you will have less walking.

It would also be possible to do the bags and parking first and then walk to the memorial before boarding the ship. It's even possible to board and then get off to walk to the memorial. Lots of choices.

Thank you so much for the information. I think we will make the turn from the access road and visit the Memorial first, then head back to the road and proceed to the terminal and luggage drop off. I think all the information that you and the many others offer on these boards is fantastic. I truly appreciate, as I am sure a lot of people will agree, the time you spend answering the many questions. Thanks again.

Thank you so much for the information. I think we will make the turn from the access road and visit the Memorial first, then head back to the road and proceed to the terminal and luggage drop off. I think all the information that you and the many others offer on these boards is fantastic. I truly appreciate, as I am sure a lot of people will agree, the time you spend answering the many questions. Thanks again.

If you want a great picture of the memorial, depending on what time of year and the amount of sun light you can get a great picture just at dawn as the sun first hits it on the day your ship returns. The picture is very moving and is best taken from the ship.

Here is a picture I saw recently of it in the morning. If the person had moved just a touch to the left on the ship it would have shown the whole memorial but nonetheless still a great shot. http://www.dropshots.com/Gennee#date/2012-09-16/07:01:43

Mike

Is is possible to visit the Tear of Grief Memorial prior to boarding the EOS? Is it only open at certain times and is there a fee to enter? Thanks for any information you can provide. We will have our own transportation.

free...follow the traffic, then make a right, and you will park right by the ship...you may or may not be stopped by security.......(i have not been the last 4 times..)

there are very small signs for the memorial.....it is nice to see, and you'll get great photos of the ship...

free...follow the traffic, then make a right, and you will park right by the ship...you may or may not be stopped by security.......(i have not been the last 4 times..)

there are very small signs for the memorial.....it is nice to see, and you'll get great photos of the ship...

Thanks for the information, and as I told 138east, thanks so much for taking the time to answer the many questions that everyone has. We have never cruised from this port before, but due to the great information supplied, I feel confident and not stressed at all about the area. We will definitely be visiting the Memorial.

If you want a great picture of the memorial, depending on what time of year and the amount of sun light you can get a great picture just at dawn as the sun first hits it on the day your ship returns. The picture is very moving and is best taken from the ship.

Here is a picture I saw recently of it in the morning. If the person had moved just a touch to the left on the ship it would have shown the whole memorial but nonetheless still a great shot. http://www.dropshots.com/Gennee#date/2012-09-16/07:01:43

Mike

Thanks for the picture advice and the photo. We will be looking for a good photo op when we return also. Hopefully the sun will be shining for us.

Thanks for the information, and as I told 138east, thanks so much for taking the time to answer the many questions that everyone has. We have never cruised from this port before, but due to the great information supplied, I feel confident and not stressed at all about the area. We will definitely be visiting the Memorial.

you're welcome!! enjoy....

it sounds confusing, but not really...there will be a big electronic road sign....that's about there you will turn to the right......

megr1125 just to let you know. I stayed at the Best western Plus airport west and it was fine. the rooms were clean and newly done. the staff very helpful. the transportion to the Newark penn staion was great and they even picked me up early when I called. The breakfast was good, better then some I have had included. the tranportation to the pier was great and the voucher for a taxi to the airport when we got back was fast and and no waiting. I would recommend it to others. You should check it out. the surroundings out side not great but I had no reason to be outside except to get in the shuttle. My cruise to Bermuda was great and the Hurricaine Rapheal was gone by the time we got to Bermuda on Wed. Great weather all 3 days. Thanks for all your help. Pat

We're a party of 5 landing at EWR at 10 am on Mar 5, 2013 same day as the cruise.

How easy is it to find a van taxi to the cruise terminal ? For 5 pax + 5 luggage + carry-ons.

Or do we need to book a car service ?

Thanks