CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

I did a 7 day last Sep on the EX - it was a lot of fun. Three days in Bermuda was the best. Our port stay ended with a squall where the NCL Star broke her mooring cables and bumped the EX - a moment of high drama before our sailaway. Much better than hanging over the railings cheering on the late arrivers.

Unlike a lot of people on this board, I find 7 days on a ship can be long. But the 3 days in Bermuda can give it a different feeling, and I think it will be nice. And the 4-hour drive should be okay - no bridges or tunnels! Thanks again for you input.

For me I would never even cut it that close. I am leaving my house at 9:30 AM and we only live 58 miles from Bayonne. But with traffic it could take up to 2 hours to get there.

This link was posted on our Roll Call for the cruise.

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/passenger_update_b.htm

Right....i am about that far and i leave the day ahead!! :eek::rolleyes::D

One flat, one blown out truck tire that you run over....one of 100000 fender benders and you are SOL..even if you're not involved....

You're scaring me. I was going to drive down early on a Sunday for a same day sailing. I know anything can happen, and I'm used to driving in the NY metro area, but normally, just how bad is it?

You're scaring me. I was going to drive down early on a Sunday for a same day sailing. I know anything can happen, and I'm used to driving in the NY metro area, but normally, just how bad is it?

Normally it's not a problem. It's the unusual that causes the problem. As someone who lives on 45 or 50 minutes from the port, I listen to traffic reports before I leave home and while I'm driving. Since I know the alternate route possibilities, if the NJ Turnpike is closed due to an accident (or something else is causing a problem) I can immediately detour because I know all the highways and major local roads in the area. Someone not as familiar with the local roads might not be able to adjust on the fly. I couldn't do that if I were driving in upstate NY, because not being a local, all I know is what a map or GPS shows me.

Hi, we will be taking the amtrak into penn station NJ, and staying at the Hilton/ penn station and going on the a cruise out of cape liberty... could you please tell me what a taxi from the hilton penn station would cost . Thanks

138East: How far is handicap parking from where you take the shuttle to to the ship? Is it easy to find? Are spots plentiful? Would you say it should take appx 2 hours from upstate ny.

Sorry for all the questions. Any tips would be appreciated.

Try pulling up Cape Liberty on Google earth to get a visual. The terminal has a white tent along the outside. The handicapped parking is immediately to the right, so it is very close to the terminal.

I used the handicapped parking 5 times with my mom and was very happy with it. I sailed from Port Canaveral in Nov and did not like that facility. It was a gorgeous building, but it was very large and there was a ton of walking to get into the building, through security, through check in and onto the ship plus escalatos and elevwtors. One of my friends needed assistance and it took her forever to get boarded.

Anyway, for Cape Liberty you can drive through to drop off your bags and continue on the access road making a left and then another immediate left to circle back to the parking entrance. You prepay the parking. The parking lot has two sections. You drive halfway through the first section and make a left to head towards the opening in the chain link fence. There should be a guy there directing traffic and he will help you cross the access road to the other parking area. You can see where this is when you first come in the access road. There is a ton of handicapped parking in the second lot and it is close to the end of the white tent. The actual security entrance is closer to this end of the tent, but it is a short walk.

You will have to decide if the person with the accessibility issues should be dropped off with the luggage or if they can do the walk from the car to the security entrance.

Once you go through security and check in, you will get a number for the shuttle bus and you wait in the lounge for your number to be called. The buses are right outside and take you on the 90 second ride across the Tarmac to the ship. You board up a gangway onto deck 1 and then take elevators to the Windjammer on deck 11. Cabins are available at 1:30.

The distances are relatively short, but..... even short distances can be a problem for someone with accessibility issues. Please tell me what your issues are.

Even when my mom was more mobile, I always got wheelchair assistance for her own safety. I always dropped her off and asked for a wheelchair. If you are doing this, be sure to tell the guy directing traffic that you need to pull in to the handicapped drop off.

Please ask if you have more questions. My mom loved cruising from Cape Liberty - it was really the only traveling she could do in later years. I was thrilled I could make it happen for her and I always asked for and got the assistance we needed. The last few times I had my mom in a wheelchair and carried on a large oxygen concentrator, a suitcase of oxygen tubes, and personal carryons. It was a lot of stuff, but people were helpful and once we made it to the cabin, we were all set for a wonderful cruise.

Please ask if you have more questions. My mom loved cruising from Cape Liberty - it was really the only traveling she could do in later years. I was thrilled I could make it happen for her and I always asked for and got the assistance we needed. The last few times I had my mom in a wheelchair and carried on a large oxygen concentrator, a suitcase of oxygen tubes, and personal carryons. It was a lot of stuff, but people were helpful and once we made it to the cabin, we were all set for a wonderful cruise.

Carol,

That is a great story.

And I am sure made for some great memories. Thanks for sharing it.

Hi Carol: I have a question for you regarding transportation from Port Authority the bus station to Country Inn Suites in Newark. Do you think it is necessary for me to reserve a ride with carmellimo or Dial 7 ahead of time, or should I wait until the week of the cruise. You know, I have the room booked as a back-up, but now that the cruise is less than a month away, I need to be ready. Do you know the cancellation policy to reserve a ride to the hotel? I really hope it will be good weather for Feb.1, but know that I can't count on it. Of course I hope it is good weather so that I can take advantage of the Enttour Bus I booked. Hope to see you then.

Thanks.

Donna

Donna,

I'm really not a big expert on the limo stuff. My area of expertise is the more budget travel via public transit.

If it were me trying to go to Country Inns from Port Authority, I'd do one of two things.

1) Go outside Port Authority onto 40th St (I think) and take the airport bus to Newark Airport for about $16. From the airport you can get the hotel shuttle for free to Country Inns.

2) Up until 4:15 pm the NJ Transit bus 111 runs from Port Authority to Jersey Gardens Mall for $6.50. The Country Inns shuttle should be able to pick you up at the mall which is right there, but might not be easily walkable with luggage.

If we have a snow event, I'm not exactly sure what I am going to do. It's going to depend on the severity of the event. Many of the storms that affect Boston have minimal effect on the NY area, but sometimes the reverse is true like what happened with Sandy. My general plan is to take the train to Larchmont NY and stay overnight with my niece. From there I would take MetroNorth to Grand Central, Cab to Path, Path to Hoboken or Newport, and light rail to Bayonne. I did this last year and it was fine except for the subway from GCS to Path, which is why I would substitute a cab for that piece of the trip.

Another thing I'm going to do is be ruthless about my luggage. Every nonessential will go including the wine we can now carry on.

Even though I live in NJ, I don't cruise from Cape Liberty. Usually we're flying down to FL and boarding there. I have driven there once to pick up my sister and BIL from their cruise and it was not that bad.

That said, my mom and I are cruise on EX this March and I was trying to decide between driving/parking at the pier and taking a car service. We are in NW NJ, out in Morris County. I called the service I usually use and their price r/t was $261. And parking is only $133. So I called mom and driving/parking it is.

Mom has a handicapped placard so we will bring that and follow the directions for handicapped parking. She is able to walk some distances and I don't think we're going to have a ton of luggage, so I'll decide when we get closer whether I want to drop it off with the porters first and then circle around to the lot. Might be easier to do it that way.

Of course, when it's time to drive there, I will have to come back and print out the directions (stay left, stay left!) because I'm sure the "B" in the box on my front window will try her hardest to get me lost. For some reason, whoever did the mapping for these things must have NEVER LIVED IN NJ, because they constantly get you lost. I don't even think she's ever heard of a jughandle LOL!!!

I keep reading about having to take a shuttle to the ship from the terminal at Cape Liberty for safety reasons, but what about upon return ? Does everyone getting off the ship have to wait for shuttles to take them back to the terminal to get their luggage, or do you walk back? If a shuttle is necessary to debark, doesn't that cause a major back-up of people ?

Also, what kind of a shuttle is it ? Like a city bus or an amusement park tram ? I'll have a couple of elderly and less mobile folks with us in June and can't help but wonder if this is going to be tricky......

Janet

4 of us will be flying into EWR and 4 family members are driving from Long Island. We are thinking about one per-cruise night at the Renaissance Newark airport. Will this be convenient for the LI family? They just moved to NY, so they don't know all the ins and outs yet. They will probably park at the pier. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I keep reading about having to take a shuttle to the ship from the terminal at Cape Liberty for safety reasons, but what about upon return ? Does everyone getting off the ship have to wait for shuttles to take them back to the terminal to get their luggage, or do you walk back? If a shuttle is necessary to debark, doesn't that cause a major back-up of people ?

Also, what kind of a shuttle is it ? Like a city bus or an amusement park tram ? I'll have a couple of elderly and less mobile folks with us in June and can't help but wonder if this is going to be tricky......

Janet

The shuttle buses are large low stepped buses that have a ramp that unfolds in the front for wheelchair access. IMO the buses actually work a bit better for elderly and less mobile folks. I sailed from Port Canaveral in Nov and I felt there was way more actual walking in that terminal than in Cape Liberty. Don't be hesitant to get wheelchair assistance at Cape Liberty for your elderly and less mobile folks. Even when my mom was more mobile, I always insisted she get a wheelchair for her own personal safety.

The shuttle buses are used for disembarkation as well. Folks are assigned a color and number - when your number is announced you can get off the ship. The only time it really seems to get backed up is when folks are trying to self disembark with luggage. There's no point to getting off the ship before your color/number is called because your luggage is likely not to be unloaded yet.

4 of us will be flying into EWR and 4 family members are driving from Long Island. We are thinking about one per-cruise night at the Renaissance Newark airport. Will this be convenient for the LI family? They just moved to NY, so they don't know all the ins and outs yet. They will probably park at the pier. Any suggestions? Thanks!

IMO the roads around Newark Airport are very confusing and many hotels are hard to access without detailed driving directions and printed maps. Sometimes you can see the hotel but can't find the entrance. GPS is notoriously unreliable in the area. The easiest hotels to find are on Glimcher Realty Way just off of Exit 13A. This would be Country Inns, Courtyard Elizabeth, and Residence Inn.

What is a good time to book a flight out of Newark after a cruise that gets into Cape Liberty at 7am? I'm deciding between flights at 12:30pm and 2:50pm. I don't want to be rushed and although I could carry my luggage off, I'm not sure if I'll want to do that. But I also don't want to be hanging around the airport much longer than necessary.

Question about a taxi from Courtyard Elizabeth to Cape Liberty...

How many passengers will they accept? We will be a party of 4 with 4 medium sized pieces of luggage. Hoping for just 1 taxi. It looks like the rate will be a flat fee, correct? Around $50-60?

138 East: How are these instructions to the pier:

Take the New Jersey Turnpike/I-95 South to Exit 14A - Bayonne. From Exit 14A:

Follow the signs for Route 440 South. Proceed 1 1/2 miles and make a left into the Bayonne Ocean Terminal. The cruise terminal is two miles straight ahead

It looks simple? What are your thoughts. THANKS