CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

I have asked this question on other forums and have not received a reply. Do i need to prebook a car service from Cape Liberty to get 2 of us to LaGuardia after our cruise or are there other forms of transportation available besides the cabs waiting at the port. We had booked a tour into New York with transportation to the airport but it was cancelled. This tour was with Royal Caribbean. I understand that Royal only arranges transport to EWR.

I spoke to the "taxi" dispatcher at Cape Liberty a week ago Sunday. You have two options when you get off the ship. You can take a shared van to LGA for $27/pp, but you have to wait around until they have at least 6 people who want to do that. The other option is to take a "cab" to LGA. I don't remember exactly what he quoted me for that - I'm sure it's in the $80-$100 range.

The cabs can be an assortment of vehicles. It's not like NYC where one sees a ton of yellow cabs. When the ship docks at Cape Liberty, a wide assortment of vehicles show up hoping to get a fare. I believe this is all coordinated by Bayonne Taxi. I called for a "cab" to take me from the light rail station into the port and got a Lincoln Town car. On the return trip I got a basic van. The arrival of the ship is big business in Bayonne and the drivers really turn out for the event.

I have asked this question on other forums and have not received a reply. Do i need to prebook a car service from Cape Liberty to get 2 of us to LaGuardia after our cruise or are there other forms of transportation available besides the cabs waiting at the port. We had booked a tour into New York with transportation to the airport but it was cancelled. This tour was with Royal Caribbean. I understand that Royal only arranges transport to EWR.

I'd be reluctant to depend on whatever "taxis" are available at Cape Liberty to take you to LGA. Nor would I depend on the shared ride vans, because you never know how long they will take to fill or even if they will make the trip at all if too few people want to use the service.

I strongly recommend pre booking a reliable car service that will quote a price to you in advance. Two large NY City-based companies that also serve the Cape Liberty and Newark Airport areas are:

Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com

Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com

We go into Manhattan from Cape Liberty every trip, either to stay a couple of days or catch the train out of NY Penn (easier to board train when it's almost empty there than in Newark). We always use Dial 7 and have booked them again for when we come back from our 3/15 Explorer cruise. We've had great experiences the 3 times we've used them.

DH and I will be taking Summit to Bermuda out of Cape Liberty 5/12 - 5/19.

We are taking Amtrak from NC and for simplicity sake are staying at the Hilton Newark Penn Station. We are adding a day in NYC - Times Square Hilton - when we get back.

I have requested quotes from several car services mentioned on the cc forums and so far have received one at $79 (+tip/tolls) from Hilton Newark to Port and $59 (+tip/tolls) from Port to NYC.

For those that have experience/familiarity with the area - does this seem like the best option?

Thanks all

DH and I will be taking Summit to Bermuda out of Cape Liberty 5/12 - 5/19.

We are taking Amtrak from NC and for simplicity sake are staying at the Hilton Newark Penn Station. We are adding a day in NYC - Times Square Hilton - when we get back.

I have requested quotes from several car services mentioned on the cc forums and so far have received one at $79 (+tip/tolls) from Hilton Newark to Port and $59 (+tip/tolls) from Port to NYC.

For those that have experience/familiarity with the area - does this seem like the best option?

Thanks all

$59 plus tolls and tip is about right from the port to NYC, but $79 from the Hilton Penn Station to the port is high. Were both quotes from a NY City-based car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel?

I don't recommend using a NY City-based service for a trip that is totally within NJ such as from your hotel in Newark to Cape Liberty. The NY City-based services are good for transportation Between NY City and the airport or cruise port but not for an intrastate NJ trip. You should probably look for a NJ-based car service for that leg of your journey. You might want to try a company such as Black Executive Cars for the Newark Penn Station Hilton to Cape Liberty run. Alternatively you should be able to just get a taxi (they should be readily available at the hotel) from the hotel to the port and it probably won't cost more than $55-60 plus toll and tip.

Edited by njhorseman

We are cruising out of Cape Liberty in early June and will arrive a day early at Newark Airport, staying 1 night at the Hampton Inn Staten Island. We understand that the Hilton/Hampton Inn Van will pick us up at the airport on arrival and also shuttle us to the port the next morning to board our cruise ship. Has anyone had good or bad experience with this hotel and transfer service. It is our understanding that the shuttle service is complimentary (although we realize tipping is expected). Appreciate any advice to eliminate problems. We are seniors and don't want any extra stress. Thank you.

We are cruising out of Cape Liberty in early June and will arrive a day early at Newark Airport, staying 1 night at the Hampton Inn Staten Island. We understand that the Hilton/Hampton Inn Van will pick us up at the airport on arrival and also shuttle us to the port the next morning to board our cruise ship. Has anyone had good or bad experience with this hotel and transfer service. It is our understanding that the shuttle service is complimentary (although we realize tipping is expected). Appreciate any advice to eliminate problems. We are seniors and don't want any extra stress. Thank you.

I haven't stayed at the Hampton Inn, but I did do a drive by two years ago to see where it was. It's my understanding that you should contact the hotel about making a shuttle reservation to the port so that you get a time that you are happy with. You should also confirm directly with the hotel where you get the shuttle at EWR (I think you have to take the air train to P4) and if you have to call them when you land for a pickup. The hotel is a 15 to 20 minute drive from the airport, so you may have to wait a bit for the airport pickup.

Perhaps someone else will provide the details of their experience.

I haven't stayed there, but I've not read even a single seriously negative review about the hotel...not that it's perfect, but no one I recall has had any serious substantive complaints. if you hunt around this board a bit you should be able to find what others have posted.

I concur with 138east's recommendation. You need to inform the hotel about your incoming flight information and make reservations for your shuttle trip to the port.

The Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens hotels are next door to once another in a very nice corporate park on Staten Island. If you're coming in June, the surrounding area will be all trees, so it's a very nice setting in NYC - completely different from the Newark airport area.

However, if you're flying in and don't have a car, the only place to eat dinner without taking a cab somewhere is the restaurant in the Hilton Gardens next door. Folks have reports back that they had a very nice meal there. Hampton Inn offers free breakfast, so that meal is not a problem.

I'd be reluctant to depend on whatever "taxis" are available at Cape Liberty to take you to LGA. Nor would I depend on the shared ride vans, because you never know how long they will take to fill or even if they will make the trip at all if too few people want to use the service.

I strongly recommend pre booking a reliable car service that will quote a price to you in advance. Two large NY City-based companies that also serve the Cape Liberty and Newark Airport areas are:

Dial 7 www.dial7.com

Carmel www.carmellimo.com

Neither one should rates(under rates) to/from Cape Liberty.

Edited by smalltimecruiser100

Need some advice... we are a family of 5, need advice. We are cruising on Explore in June and our cruise leaves out of Bayonne on a Thursday, we are flying into Newark arriving 1pm. We need a NICE, CLEAN, SAFE hotel for 1 night pre cruise. we need 2 rooms. And what transportation service do you recommend to the cruise port? Thank you!!!

I assume you meant to write "neither one showed rates (under rates) to/from Cape Liberty.

Yes, they only show promotional predetermined rates between the airports and Manhattan. But you'll see on their home pages there is a booking engine where you can get a quote and book a reservation. For Dial 7, it says "Quick Quote. Start Your Reservation Here." For Carmel Limo you'll see "New York Reservation" on the left side of the home page. For pick up at Cape Liberty cruise port just use Bayonne, NJ as your point of origin, and then LaGuardia Airport as your destination and you'll get a quote and be able to reserve a car. It's just like making a reservation on an airline web site. If you prefer you can call their toll free phone numbers.

Edited by njhorseman

Need some advice... we are a family of 5, need advice. We are cruising on Explore in June and our cruise leaves out of Bayonne on a Thursday, we are flying into Newark arriving 1pm. We need a NICE, CLEAN, SAFE hotel for 1 night pre cruise. we need 2 rooms. And what transportation service do you recommend to the cruise port? Thank you!!!

It's not the only choice, but many cruisers have been happy with the Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth. It's near an outlet mall and there are a couple of chain restaurants...Ruby Tuesday and IHOP adjacent. They will provide complimentary shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and you can buy reasonably priced group ride transfer service (I think it's $17.50 per person one way) from the hotel to Cape Liberty cruise port. You may be able to save a few dollars on transportation costs to the port by booking a service called Independent Driver. Their number is posted in various places on this board...or perhaps poster 138east will see this and provide the phone number...I believe she has used this service.

It's not the only choice, but many cruisers have been happy with the Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth. It's near an outlet mall and there are a couple of chain restaurants...Ruby Tuesday and IHOP adjacent. They will provide complimentary shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and you can buy reasonably priced group ride transfer service (I think it's $17.50 per person one way) from the hotel to Cape Liberty cruise port. You may be able to save a few dollars on transportation costs to the port by booking a service called Independent Driver. Their number is posted in various places on this board...or perhaps poster 138east will see this and provide the phone number...I believe she has used this service.

What about The Renaissance Newark and The Courtyard Marriott, has anyone used these hotels?

Meg is a big fan of the Renaissance and the Courtyard Marriott in Elizabeth (not the Newark Airport Courtyard) and she has stayed at the courtyard numbers of times. With a family of 5 and no car, I would highly recommend that you stay on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth in Country Inns, Courtyard Marriott, or Residence Inn. As Njhorseman said, you will have a choice of restaurants and access to the mall. At other hotels you would be limited to the immediate hotel area (no wandering around and no place to go) and a captive of the hotel food service.

Independent Driver is 888-816-0973 - they will provide van service to the port at around $50 for your group of 5.

The Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens hotels are next door to once another in a very nice corporate park on Staten Island. If you're coming in June, the surrounding area will be all trees, so it's a very nice setting in NYC - completely different from the Newark airport area.

However, if you're flying in and don't have a car, the only place to eat dinner without taking a cab somewhere is the restaurant in the Hilton Gardens next door. Folks have reports back that they had a very nice meal there. Hampton Inn offers free breakfast, so that meal is not a problem.

Thanks for the good info. We will dine at the Hilton next door. Hilton's are reliably good

We're using Dial 7 for the third time after our upcoming cruise. Call them. You can set up an account online, but to set up a car to/from Cape Liberty, you need to talk to them. They will set it up that way and then you can go online and see it. We just did this last week and printed out our info. They only do preset routes online.

Tell us more details about your dates and plans in the area. Driving or flying? How many people?

The advantage to Secaucus is that there is easy bus transportation to NYC. However, if you're flying you will pay to get to the hotel and then pay to get to Cape Liberty.