CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Yes you should be concerned. This is a very questionable operation that may not be operating with proper permits or insurance. If you do a search on this board you should be able to find out more about that. (edit: I see you already have found one of the threads with that information.)

By the way, you have to add tax, their booking fee and "port access fee" to the $11.99 advertised price, making the actual cost more like $14 per day, whereas the $19 on site parking fee at Cape Liberty includes all charges.

Never paid a "port access fee" --- just sales tax.

We will be travelling on the Explorer departing May 2, just trying to figure out the flight info... we have plenty of options departing from Toronto to Newark for reasonable prices but I am not sure if we should travel early the day of and just deal with transfers to and from the port

OR if we should travel the day before [already booked off work anyhow] and deal with transfers from airport to hotel and from hotel to pier and them from pier to airport Plus booking a hotel which may or may not include some of the transfers

The flight would most likely land @ 10:01am either the day of or the day before.....

Please advise your suggestions.....we've never been to NY or NJ but doubt that we will tour around much as much as I would love too...

thanks in advance

The chance of weather related issues in May are unlikely....but nothing is a given. You could plan a flight the day before, have it cancelled and not be able to get on a flight for the next day (day of cruise). There is always a risk with air travel (and everything else) these days especially since 911.

Personally, for your date, I would book the first flight out the morning of the cruise. Less hassle. That's a short flight and if it is delayed, you'll still have plenty of time to make the sailing. If you really need absolute certainty, there is trip insurance.

There is nothing of interest in the area of the airport hotels.

Edited by travelite

What are your recommendations for transportation to Newark airport after the cruise?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

I use public transportation. Very efficient, easy, safe, and inexpensive if you can manage your own luggage.

Short taxi ($4 per person currently) to Bayonne Light Rail station (fare $2.25 adult; $1.10 Senior -- there is a train about every 10 to 15 min.) -- get off at Exchange Place and walk across plaza to PATH station -- PATH goes right into Newark Penn station (fare $2 to be increased soon; $1 with Sr. card - there is a train approx. every 10 min.) -- from Newark Penn Station take train 1 stop to Newark airport, schedules vary....check on line at NJTransit/trains.

Thank you both, Meg and 138 East.

I have contacted the Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth for a rate of $119 (no tax yet) in June. Thats also no parking included, I think we will probably all just take our cars to the port. It seems to me to make the most sense there since we're driving north from Baltimore, but your info about Secaucus sounds promising too though.

How much farther north than stopping in Elizabeth would we be driving to get to Secaucus ? What are the advantages for me to tell everyone as to why we'd drive past Newark/Bayonne region to stay further North? I'm thinking that it is primarily ease of transport into Manhattan ?

We're having a party/meeting in a few weeks to firm up our plans so I can make arrangements so your help is invaluable.

Thanks.

Janet

If you are not planning to go into Manhattan, and then driving to the port and parking, consider stay south of Elizabeth....perhaps Woodbridge/Edison area. That is a much nicer area and safer. You may even getter a better hotel rate in that area.

If some do want to go into Manhattan, MetroPark train station is in Menlo Park (area of Edison/Woodbridge).

If you are not planning to go into Manhattan, and then driving to the port and parking, consider stay south of Elizabeth....perhaps Woodbridge/Edison area. That is a much nicer area and safer. You may even getter a better hotel rate in that area.

If some do want to go into Manhattan, MetroPark train station is in Menlo Park (area of Edison/Woodbridge).

We will be staying at the Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth for one night pre-cruise, is there something unsafe or not particularly nice about the area?

We will be staying at the Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth for one night pre-cruise, is there something unsafe or not particularly nice about the area?

There's nothing unsafe about that particular area...it's just not very pretty. It's a popular hotel for people cruising from Cape Liberty.

Edited by njhorseman

There's nothing unsafe about that particular area...it's just not very pretty. It's a popular hotel for people cruising from Cape Liberty.

Thanks njhorseman, that puts my mind at ease. We aren't necessarily looking for pretty, just clean, comfortable and hopefully safe. And we liked the parking deal.

Thanks njhorseman, that puts my mind at ease. We aren't necessarily looking for pretty, just clean, comfortable and hopefully safe. And we liked the parking deal.

Hey Susan, :)you booked Summit? I am thinking of going on her

for the 6th time but not till August.......one of these days:D;):eek:

I have stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott which is in the same

Culd de sac as Countryinn....there is a Ruby Tuesday's next door

to your hotel and if you want to walk a bit there is a large mall

near you too. Jersey Gardens Mall.....yes, that is the name.

Have a great cruise:)

Edited by Lois R

Lois,

Yep, we booked Summit, it will be our first M Class cruise, do you believe that? So looking forward to experiencing all she has to offer. You must really love her if you're thinking of booking her for the 6th time! We couldn't wait another year for our next cruise so had to squeeze another X cruise in there somewhere!

Thanks for the info about the area around the Country Inn, Bayonne will be another new experience for us along with the Summit and Bermuda. I love this thread, there is so much good information here for us port newbies.

Yes, one day we will cruise together, I'm sure of it.

Susan

Lois,

Yep, we booked Summit, it will be our first M Class cruise, do you believe that? So looking forward to experiencing all she has to offer. You must really love her if you're thinking of booking her for the 6th time! We couldn't wait another year for our next cruise so had to squeeze another X cruise in there somewhere!

Thanks for the info about the area around the Country Inn, Bayonne will be another new experience for us along with the Summit and Bermuda. I love this thread, there is so much good information here for us port newbies.

Yes, one day we will cruise together, I'm sure of it.

Susan

I didn't realize you have never sailed an M class ship before! I love

them:) and I am sure you have read enough things to know some

people are VERY, VERY picky and don't like them:eek:......I enjoy both,

M and S class.

Hope you have a good time:)

I didn't realize you have never sailed an M class ship before! I love

them:) and I am sure you have read enough things to know some

people are VERY, VERY picky and don't like them:eek:......I enjoy both,

M and S class.

Hope you have a good time:)

Thanks, I know we'll have a great time and love the ship. Enjoy the Silhouette, we loved her.

Thanks everyone for your help, we decided to travel the day of, just helps cut down on costs.... [no hotels] I am sure we will be fine I have faith..... ;)

We arrive at Newark @ 10:25am, now just to deal with the transfer issue. Need to investigate this a little further.

Try Independent Driver - 1-888-816-0973 - about 4-6 weeks ahead. It should be $45 for 4 people plus tip.

Just an FYI - I called Independent Driver - 1-888-816-0973 and I was quoted $45 for 2 people including Tolls

RCI shuttle bus is 29 PP which works out to be 58 per couple so I figured if I gave 10.00 TIP I would still be in the plus by a couple of bucks and I didn't have to share the van nor waiting around till it's full!

He said he only needs a weeks notice but said I could call back in April for my May booking to get it on their books, just hope they don't forget me.... :)

Question if I am stranded for some reason, is the place he would be picking me up the same place that we could then grab a cab or on a shuttle [if applicable] just so we aren't having to go from one place to another with our luggage then I am fine with that....

approx how much for a cab to get from Newark Airport to Cape Liberty?

Just an FYI - I called Independent Driver - 1-888-816-0973 and I was quoted $45 for 2 people including Tolls

RCI shuttle bus is 29 PP which works out to be 58 per couple so I figured if I gave 10.00 TIP I would still be in the plus by a couple of bucks and I didn't have to share the van nor waiting around till it's full!

He said he only needs a weeks notice but said I could call back in April for my May booking to get it on their books, just hope they don't forget me.... :)

Question if I am stranded for some reason, is the place he would be picking me up the same place that we could then grab a cab or on a shuttle [if applicable] just so we aren't having to go from one place to another with our luggage then I am fine with that....

approx how much for a cab to get from Newark Airport to Cape Liberty?

It's not clear to me what pick up point you're asking about.

At Cape Liberty taxis, limos, private cars, etc. pick up in the same general area...there's a large tent-like structure where pick ups and drop offs are made. Taxis are available at the very end of the tent if you turn to your left after exiting customs.

At EWR certain pick ups can be made at your airline terminal, but others have to be made at the P4 AirTrain station.

The taxi fare between EWR and Cape Liberty in either direction should be about $50-55 plus tolls and tip.

It's not clear to me what pick up point you're asking about.

At Cape Liberty taxis, limos, private cars, etc. pick up in the same general area...there's a large tent-like structure where pick ups and drop offs are made. Taxis are available at the very end of the tent if you turn to your left after exiting customs.

At EWR certain pick ups can be made at your airline terminal, but others have to be made at the P4 AirTrain station.

The taxi fare between EWR and Cape Liberty in either direction should be about $50-55 plus tolls and tip.

thanks sorry my question wasn't clear... I was referring to EWR... I had read that you had to go someplace else for pick ups and was asking if they are all in that place or if they were different depending on the type of pick up but from the sounds of your reply they are all at P4 AirTrain Station but I can ask and see if they can pick me up at my terminal....

thanks so much again for your reply.... appreciate all the help now if only May would hurry up and get here I would be all set ;)

thanks sorry my question wasn't clear... I was referring to EWR... I had read that you had to go someplace else for pick ups and was asking if they are all in that place or if they were different depending on the type of pick up but from the sounds of your reply they are all at P4 AirTrain Station but I can ask and see if they can pick me up at my terminal....

thanks so much again for your reply.... appreciate all the help now if only May would hurry up and get here I would be all set ;)

I said: "At EWR certain pick ups can be made at your airline terminal, but others have to be made at the P4 AirTrain station."

I didn't say they are all at P4.

Yes, you should ask your car service where they'll be picking you up.

Edited by njhorseman

I live in Manhattan (E 116th Street) and I want to find out the best way to get to Bayonne on 3/15. From what I have read thus far, my options are:

1) Drive and park (around $19 per day at port, plus tolls $13)

2) Call car service (Dial7 is quoting $50 plus tolls on its website, not sure if that includes tax?)

3) Take public transportation (subway/bus) to catch PATH, then light rail, then call cab in Bayonne (around $10)

Is my understanding correct? In terms of the cost that I came up with above, am I missing anything? Are my figures correct/incorrect?

Thanks in advance for your expert advice...

Please recommend other options if you think they are better...

I live in Manhattan (E 116th Street) and I want to find out the best way to get to Bayonne on 3/15. From what I have read thus far, my options are:

2) Call car service (Dial7 is quoting $50 plus tolls on its website, not sure if that includes tax?)

3) Take public transportation (subway/bus) to catch PATH, then light rail, then call cab in Bayonne (around $10)

Is my understanding correct? In terms of the cost that I came up with above, am I missing anything? Are my figures correct/incorrect?

If you have friends or family that could take you and pick you up

from the port:D...that would be another suggestion:)

You're pretty much on target. Toils will actually be a bit more than $13 because you'll be on the NJ Turnpike briefly in addition to taking one of the tunnels. If you go through the Lincoln Tunnel, Turnpike toll will be about $4 to Bayonne. If you use the Holland Tunnel, the Turnpike toll is a bit over $1.

I don't believe there is any sales tax on car service fares. You should factor in a tip of about $10...and remember your cost is going to be double what you quoted because you're taking the car service in each direction.

PATH service on weekends has still not been fully restored to normal pre-Sandy levels, so you need to check their web site to see if that might affect your plans.

If you're driving, there is a new reasonably priced off site parking garage in Newark, SNAP Parking, that charges $12.95 per day plus tax...about $14-15 in total, versus $19 per day at the port. They will shuttle you to and from the port, but that will increase your travel time by about a half hour in each direction to account for the shuttle trip. (More if you have to wait for the shuttle.) FYI, the garage is in the city of Newark, not at the airport, but by all reports it's a good facility.

Edited by njhorseman

You're pretty much on target. Toils will actually be a bit more than $13 because you'll be on the NJ Turnpike briefly in addition to taking one of the tunnels. If you go through the Lincoln Tunnel, Turnpike toll will be about $4 to Bayonne. If you use the Holland Tunnel, the Turnpike toll is a bit over $1.

I don't believe there is any sales tax on car service fares. You should factor in a tip of about $10...and remember your cost is going to be double what you quoted because you're taking the car service in each direction.

PATH service on weekends has still not been fully restored to normal pre-Sandy levels, so you need to check their web site to see if that might affect your plans.

If you're driving, there is a new reasonably priced off site parking garage in Newark, SNAP Parking, that charges $12.95 per day plus tax...about $14-15 in total, versus $19 per day at the port. They will shuttle you to and from the port, but that will increase your travel time by about a half hour in each direction to account for the shuttle trip. (More if you have to wait for the shuttle.) FYI, the garage is in the city of Newark, not at the airport, but by all reports it's a good facility.

The SNAP parking seems interesting. I went to their website and they seem to have a $8.99 grand opening promotion, has anyone used this for a shuttle to the port? If I do use SNAP, should I tip them when we drop off and when we pick up or just when we pick up?

The SNAP parking seems interesting. I went to their website and they seem to have a $8.99 grand opening promotion, has anyone used this for a shuttle to the port? If I do use SNAP, should I tip them when we drop off and when we pick up or just when we pick up?

I know that had that promotion when they first opened not long ago. I'm not sure if they're still offering it.

If search on this board you'll find a couple of positive reports from posters...but only a couple because the facility is new so not many people have used it yet.

I would tip separately for each ride, just as you would if you took a taxi.