Need some advice - To Cancel or not to Cancel - That is the question.

FB

Ok, long story short.

Been separated since Aug 7, 2011. Still live in the same house as not much is resolved regarding custody assets etc. So I guess we are doing shared custody even though we are all in the same house.

I booked a Dec NCL cruise for my 2 kids, my father and myself during the Kids Sail Free promo. Through my lawyer I requested that she sign Travel consent forms. She refused. The matter may soon be in front of the courts and I "may" be able to get her decision overturned. However this may not happen until November. Final Payment is due to 2 weeks.

I got a really great price for the 4 of us and I am debating making final payment in hopes that I can go with the kids and my dad. I fully understand that once final payment is made I cannot cancel without losing all my money. So my questions are as follows.

If I cannot get her decision overturned can my dad and I travel on the "kids sail free" rate without taking the kids? Will I be refunded their taxes if they do not sail? Could I face a penalty for the kids not showing up at the port?

Could I sail alone and get back the kids taxes and my dads taxes?

Could I replace my dad with somebody else (through NCL ahead of time) Are name changes aloud post final payment.

Just to clarify it's not a stupid amount of money like I said it was a great rate. I'd be fine paying that for myself to travel let alone 4 people. So I'm weighting all my options and trying to make an informed decision.

Thanks

Ok, long story short.

Been separated since Aug 7, 2011. Still live in the same house as not much is resolved regarding custody assets etc. So I guess we are doing shared custody even though we are all in the same house.

I booked a Dec NCL cruise for my 2 kids, my father and myself during the Kids Sail Free promo. Through my lawyer I requested that she sign Travel consent forms. She refused. The matter may soon be in front of the courts and I "may" be able to get her decision overturned. However this may not happen until November. Final Payment is due to 2 weeks.

I got a really great price for the 4 of us and I am debating making final payment in hopes that I can go with the kids and my dad. I fully understand that once final payment is made I cannot cancel without losing all my money. So my questions are as follows.

If I cannot get her decision overturned can my dad and I travel on the "kids sail free" rate without taking the kids? Yes you can.

Will I be refunded their taxes if they do not sail? Port charges for sure!

Could I face a penalty for the kids not showing up at the port? No.

Could I sail alone and get back the kids taxes and my dads taxes? Yes.

Could I replace my dad with somebody else (through NCL ahead of time) Are name changes aloud post final payment.I believe you can, though I'm not sure what the cut of dates are and you might be charged a fee.

Just to clarify it's not a stupid amount of money like I said it was a great rate. I'd be fine paying that for myself to travel let alone 4 people. So I'm weighting all my options and trying to make an informed decision.

Thanks

Just because you made your final payment does not mean you loose all money as of that date. There are 50% and 75% penalty periods as well.

Based on your final payment date, you might be on "my" sailing, if you are, come join our roll call, we aren't super active, but we are friendly.

I wish you all peace and luck.

I just remembered, last November, my (then 11 yr old) son and I went on a cruise 2 days after Thanksgiving. Wednesday I realized that since hubby isn't coming with me, I might need some sort of permission from him. I flipped out on myself, called NCL and was assured I did NOT need any permission from my husband. I did download their forms and have it notarized anyway (God bless TD Bank!). I was never questioned at all. My point in telling you this is if your wife decides to give you permission at the last moment, you don't need to worry about any "permission slips."

Just because you made your final payment does not mean you loose all money as of that date. There are 50% and 75% penalty periods as well.

Based on your final payment date, you might be on "my" sailing, if you are, come join our roll call, we aren't super active, but we are friendly.

I wish you all peace and luck.

Thanks for your responses

I am scheduled to Sail Dec 2 on the Dawn

Thanks for your responses

I am scheduled to Sail Dec 2 on the Dawn

Wow, I can't believe I didn't notice your countdown clock.

Btw, I did an edit to my post and added something at he bottom. I don't know if you saw it.

Here's a link to the cancellation terms....

http://www2.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

Thanks

Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to the above cancellation fees.

Cruise Days: 6 Days or More

75 - 56 days Deposit

55 - 30 days 50%*

29 - 15 days 75%*

14 days or less 100%

*or deposit, whichever is higher

I guess I would probably just sail alone. Or I'm sure I could cancel now and still get a great rate closer to the date if I did get it overturned.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't notice your countdown clock.

Btw, I did an edit to my post and added something at he bottom. I don't know if you saw it.

I have traveled across the border without such notarized letters but they can stop you from travelling internationally without them. I would not risk it. Most times they don't ask. Sounds like NCL does not care. Good to know.

Thanks

I guess I would probably just sail alone. Or I'm sure I could cancel now and still get a great rate closer to the date if I did get it overturned.

The early December cruises do not usually sell out, most people are too busy to cruise then ....we've always gotten the best rates of the year at that time.

Personally if it was me I would cancel everything until the family issues are resolved. Not sure I would go without the kids if they already know about the cruise. There will always be other cruises to schedule.

Just my opinion though, not judging you. Hope it all works out.

Money talks. Why not offer your ex-wife $$ in exchange for her signature. If it's not money, there's something she wants or needs from you. Use it to your advantage. Start positive .....negotiations 101!! If you can't work it out nicely then take that offer off the table completely. Then get nasty.

If she refuses to sign be sure your children know the reason they don't get to go! They'll remember that FOREVER! Make very sure she's the bad guy and everyone knows why. Let her deal with angry, upset and disappointed kids the week you're away. Continue to remind her it was her choice.

Start nice, then get ugly.

If your kids can't come then call NCL. Explain the situation and be happy no matter how this works out.

I have not told the kids about the trip because I was expecting this and do not want them to be upset.

We would have to be negotiating for me to work on that angle

I never thought of offering cold hard cash LOL... That might actually work.

As much as I really want them to be mad at her I will not be putting the kids in the middle of our mess. Being 6 and 3 they are still a little to young to try that.

Personally if it was me I would cancel everything until the family issues are resolved. Not sure I would go without the kids if they already know about the cruise. There will always be other cruises to schedule.

Just my opinion though, not judging you. Hope it all works out.

I have thought about that. But these family issues have been going on for over a year and it's not me not participating. I need to keep living my life and a trip with the kids and their grandfather would be a great experience even though they have both cruised before. I have the holidays left and really want to spend the full week with them. She claims it's because she does not want them to miss school. So I asked her if it was the week after Christmas if she would say yes and she said no. So I said than it's not really the school thing is it. She had no response.

Ok, long story short.

If I cannot get her decision overturned can my dad and I travel on the "kids sail free" rate without taking the kids? Will I be refunded their taxes if they do not sail? Could I face a penalty for the kids not showing up at the port?

Could I replace my dad with somebody else (through NCL ahead of time) Are name changes aloud post final payment.

Thanks

You could also look into "Cancel for any reason" insurance. I think that the insurance NCL offers provides this benefit, but you'd have to ask them.

Otherwise try www.insuremytrip.com or any other insurance site.

Stephen

P.S. Just found the Insurance info: Cancellation for Any Reason

For cancellations due to situations not covered by Travel Protection, passenger will receive a cruise credit toward future travel with Norwegian Cruise Line equal to 75% of the non-refundable cancellation charges.

Thanks

You will be charged the single supplement rate.

Think you should look at getting insurance if you haven't already -- the kind of policy that will cover cancelations for any reason.

Also, have you checked the prices of the cruise lately to see if the price is cheaper or more expensive than what you paid?

Not a pro at this but been down that road as well. If the kids have your last name, they (NCL) wont ask any questions nor do you have to have "special" paperwork. If you have the passports not much she can do to stop you.... They are your kids and custody has not yet been determined

BTW I think your lawyer could push to have a quicker hearing on the issue. I had several instances similar to yours and they were addressed fairly quickly if your laywer will push...

Good luck.

I have not told the kids about the trip because I was expecting this and do not want them to be upset.

We would have to be negotiating for me to work on that angle

I never thought of offering cold hard cash LOL... That might actually work.

As much as I really want them to be mad at her I will not be putting the kids in the middle of our mess. Being 6 and 3 they are still a little to young to try that.

Look me up on our cruise - you have a drink coming! :cool: I applaud you for trying to keep the kids out of this mess as much as you can. While you and your "ex" have a choice in this separation - the kids don't so they should not be used by either party!!!

It's almost $500.00 for the cancel for any reason insurance. So it's not worth it since I would get all the port charges back. I would be more than willing to go alone for $900.00.

So after paying $500.00 I would get a $675.00 future cruise credit. It really was a great deal.

My lawyer did say we could get it done much faster but would cost 1000's of dollars. So my thought was if we could bring it up in normal course since I will be paying to be in court already than not much lost.

I talked to my agent as well and she said I am allowed one name change free of charge but NCL's terms and conditions say it's considered a cancellation. I will have to get her to actually call NCL. I'm sure it would not be hard to find someone to go with me. LOL.

I may need a vacation anyway. I just love to travel and I think it's a great experience for my kids as well.

Look me up on our cruise - you have a drink coming! :cool: I applaud you for trying to keep the kids out of this mess as much as you can. While you and your "ex" have a choice in this separation - the kids don't so they should not be used by either party!!!

I will look you up for sure if I go. Have you been on the roll call yet? It's huge

I will look you up for sure if I go. Have you been on the roll call yet? It's huge

You know our spread sheet? I'm listed second with my DH and DS. A bunch of us booked March of 2011 so we have been on there since the beginning. It is a really fun roll call and I know we are going to have a blast. I really hope you do decide to go either way.

Ok, long story short.

I got in on the same promo and was talking with my PCC because i am acutally in the middle of adopting our son and his name might be different by then as well as bringing a friend, for a 2nd free spot which friend may change As long as they were under 18 (for the promo) it could be anyone. If anyone older, I just had to pay the current rate for that person (since they no longer qualified for the promo) I was told that name changes other then the original person that reserved the room can be done up to 48 hours prior to sailing with out any penalty or cancellations. Now as my wife & I do not intend on changing I didn't ask if it was the 1st person or first 2 people that reserve the cabin, so not sure what happens if you change out your dad or not. Also I found out that the insurance that NCL sells can be applied to specific people, you don't have to insure the lot.. case in point, I would want insurance on the friend, but not worried about it on us as much. 3rd and 4th people are pretty affordable.

I got a really great price for the 4 of us and I am debating making final payment in hopes that I can go with the kids and my dad. I fully understand that once final payment is made I cannot cancel without losing all my money. See cancellation policies from other posters So my questions are as follows.

You would most likely be charged the full fair for both passangers, but I have had port taxes refunded by mail in the past due to change in itineraries, so i'm sure there should not be any reason for NCL to keep taxes that were not utilized. Best advise is make a final desision at least 48 hours ahead so the ship's manifest can be accurate for the best chance of your refund, (not policy, just speculations)

Could I replace my dad with somebody else (through NCL ahead of time) Are name changes aloud post final payment. If all goes south, enjoy the cruise with your dad :-)

Thanks

I hope the kids are able to go with you, my little guy went with us last time and had such a great time.

Again thanks everyone for all the great advice. The name change thing really makes me think I will make final payment. If the kids can come great if not maybe my dad will still want to and if he does not I can find some random fool off the street to tag along... I've got a good friend who has never even been on an airplane and could use a vacation really bad.

Money talks. Why not offer your ex-wife $$ in exchange for her signature. If it's not money, there's something she wants or needs from you. Use it to your advantage. Start positive .....negotiations 101!! If you can't work it out nicely then take that offer off the table completely. Then get nasty.

If she refuses to sign be sure your children know the reason they don't get to go! They'll remember that FOREVER! Make very sure she's the bad guy and everyone knows why. Let her deal with angry, upset and disappointed kids the week you're away. Continue to remind her it was her choice.

Start nice, then get ugly.

If your kids can't come then call NCL. Explain the situation and be happy no matter how this works out.

The bolded suggestion I quoted above is a TERRIBLE idea. Yeah, it might make dad feel better about himself for a while to have mom be the bad guy but the kids should be the priority here. Using them in that way is NEVER the right thing to do and is very unfair. The conflict is between mom and dad and should stay that way. Don't put the kids in the middle of a fight that is not theirs.

OP, I'm really sorry you're having to go through this. I've never been in this situation so I can't help much but I do sympathize and hope that things work out in your favour!

Archived