Norwegian Introduces Freestyle Dining Package

pcreek

This is a savings of $2.66 per meal.

Not a whole lot to lure you to book this in advance IMO.

It seems they are using everything they can to get your money before you cruise such as excursions, restaurants and now upcharge restaurant packages.

If they include the Chinese restaurant with Cagneys on Epic, I could reconsider ;) But for now $2.66 wont do the trick ;)

How do people wind up with OBC- from travel agents? I am looking for a new TA because my previous one doesn't do NCL. If it isn't against the board rules, I'd love a recommendation.

It's a against CC rules to recommend TAs but it's easy to search for different online TAs, select a cruise, and you'll see some will have OBC offers. The OBC varies by itinerary and change frequently. Some OBC will automatically show on your account on-board while others you might have to fill out a form with the TA. Note that if the price of your cruise drops and you ask for a price adjustment, you will lose your OBC from the original booking although there may be new OBC available for the new booking. So factor these all into the total cost of your cruise when shopping around. Good luck.

We like Freestyle dining, that's one of the reasons why we do NCL. Pre-booking meals means you have a schedule to keep, not for us.

We also use suite perks to eat in the cabin. But for some having the assurance that they have the reservation is what they want.

Not everything on a cruise is for everyone.

Lynda

We eat at specialty restaurants a lot on cruises, but we don't like to book in advance as we don't know what we'll be doing that day. The 8 dollars of savings isn't work giving up the flexibility we will have onboard. The last cruise they were offering discounts for the specialty restaurants.

OBC comes from travel agents and sometimes NCL. But since most is non-refundable (use it or lose it), better to earn your own through a cash-back credit card. Your own cash added to your cruise credit card account is fully refundable if not used.

I use World Points, but there are several fee-free cards earning cash back rewards. I use my cards for everything, no matter how small; those points add up quickly.

When I first read your post, I saw $4,500 OBC! Would be hard to spend that much. Well --- maybe not!

We have $600 in obc but we usually spend atleast $2000 if not more so I don't understand how people have trouble spending $400 obc....my husband drinks and we do excursions and that takes up a bunch of it.....

OBC comes from travel agents and sometimes NCL. But since most is non-refundable (use it or lose it), better to earn your own through a cash-back credit card. Your own cash added to your cruise credit card account is fully refundable if not used.

I use World Points, but there are several fee-free cards earning cash back rewards. I use my cards for everything, no matter how small; those points add up quickly.

We always charge our cruise on a card that we will get cash from. This time American Express had some special so we put it on there. We also have a NCL card and RCCL card.

Our obc came from NCL specials and something else but I don't remember what all the $600 was from, $100 was from HSN and NCL.....

I booked the specialty "deal' for an upcoming four night Sky cruise. Wasn't interested in discount as much as perhaps getting 'prime' dining times. Based upon some comments it appears that reservations for any times or venues should not be a problem? Regardless, I figured that it should be easy if we desired change from 7PM to earlier or later seating to accomodate our schedule.

Was also surprised to read some recent negative comments on specialty restaraunts in general as not being worth it or no better than MDR. Hope I am not in for a dissapointment but I always found on X, Princess, and NCL (have only been on Sky three years ago and Norway) that specialty dining

always offered better quality food, ambiance, and often times service than

MDR. In short always thought it was a good 'value'.

• 3 weeks later...
I booked the specialty "deal' for an upcoming four night Sky cruise. Wasn't interested in discount as much as perhaps getting 'prime' dining times. Based upon some comments it appears that reservations for any times or venues should not be a problem? Regardless, I figured that it should be easy if we desired change from 7PM to earlier or later seating to accomodate our schedule.

Was also surprised to read some recent negative comments on specialty restaraunts in general as not being worth it or no better than MDR. Hope I am not in for a dissapointment but I always found on X, Princess, and NCL (have only been on Sky three years ago and Norway) that specialty dining

always offered better quality food, ambiance, and often times service than

MDR. In short always thought it was a good 'value'.

Have to agree...I too am surprised at all the negativity in some of these posts. I think the thing to remember is simply this - if you book the package ahead of time, you save 8 bucks per person for the three specialty restaurants. I'm not sure I want to commit to that much specific scheduling (res times) before we board, but I still think its a good deal from NCL if you were going to do all three anyway. Hey for me and my wife, that's $16 bucks, definitely good for a couple of martinis! :D

Pretty sure we're not going to pre-pay for the Signature Trio, but will make those decisions on board. But thanks to NCL for the offer, I think its a good one if it works for you.

Funny how a cruise line can offer you a bit of a deal, and in some people's eyes that makes them an "evil & greedy corporation." LOL! Get over it people!

Of course if you're traveling with you family that could be 3 or 4 or 5 (etc) x $8 you're saving, it's all a matter of perspective.

I personally like to decide the day of, but for the Sky I would say it's a good idea to book ahead as there are only a few nights and the specialties fill up quickly.

I sailed the Epic and the mushroom bisque has to be one of the best thing I have ever eaten bar none. One would think of a steak, or lobster, but no. This bisque was the best. That is to say the specialty restaurants are worth it. Cagney's was excellent. The La Cucina was not as fabulous as the others. The next NCL cruise we will try Teppanyaki.

• 3 months later...

Betty M, Below is the restaurant package offer. I understand from various threads that you can change the date/time of your reservation after you are on board, but $8 is not much savings. What do you all think?

QUOTE=pcreek;35052251]quoted from cruise news: August 23, 2012:

Did Freestyle Dining just get better? Norwegian Cruise Line announced this morning the release of a new specialty dining package – “Signature Trio”—that gives guests the opportunity to purchase three dining venues for $47 per person.

For the $47, guests can experience Norwegian’s Steakhouse (normally $25), Italian restaurant (normally $10), and French bistro (normally $20). Guests will save $8 by purchasing the “Signature Trio” package.

All three venues would run $55 à la carte.

This is currently available on all Norwegian’s ships and can be pre-booked by logging into your cruise reservation on the website. This offer is not available on board.[/

If you are going to book the specialty restaurants anyway, how can you say it is not worth the savings. Especially with the free bottle of wine if you book the first night. You can always change the reservation time or date onboard if you want to eat in the main dining room.

Archived