do you bring power strip/cord w/you on board?

socal4me

Another vote here for the Belkin. Mrs. K actually bought ours for her work travel, it's always in her basic travel kit, and since she got it four or five years ago it cruises with us. I think she bought it at one of those travel shops in an airport but we've since seen them at a number of common stores like Target, Best Buy, etc.

I am a rule follower. Rules are in place for a reason. When those rules are for safety I find it hard to believe anyone would disregard them. If they ran out, I would deal.

And I run the Maintenance Division/Safety Programs for a 350 million dollar facility and believe I can make a good judgment regarding the safety of a UL approved power strip :rolleyes:. I will not jeopardize my health because HAL may or may not have one available.

Because of the various cameras, iPods, etc, this is what we bring:

s2v6g7.jpg

It multiplies 1 socket to 3 and has 2 USB ports.

:)

I brought that one on my Eurodam cruise and could not plug it in because there was no room between that and the desk. I need the sideways one in the previous post because I am 2 more cruises booked on the Eurodam.

Ellen

I brought that one on my Eurodam cruise and could not plug it in because there was no room between that and the desk. I need the sideways one in the previous post because I am 2 more cruises booked on the Eurodam.

Ellen

The description says "360-degree rotating plug has four locking positions."

I bought a power strip for our cruise in 2 weeks.

1st because it had a 6 ft cord so it would be better for my wife's CPAP machine. Since I do not know the layout of the room from outlet to her side of the bed.

2nd because I will have 2 camera's to charge ( the charger plugs into the outlet and is wide) 2 USB devices (Nook and cell phone) and our netbook.

It will be in our CPAP bag so I am not worried about the weight. It is part of the CPAP equipment in my mind.

I also requested a power strip and hope it arrives but have heard about the ship running out and then that could really affect my wife's sleeping if we could not use the CPAP.

So better to be safe than sorry. Because I am not messing with her health.

I am a rule follower. Rules are in place for a reason. When those rules are for safety I find it hard to believe anyone would disregard them. If they ran out, I would deal.

If you had a CPAP and needed it to breathe at night, how would you deal -- sleep with your head on the desk since that is the only place there is a plug?

We make sure our power strip is surge protected and UL, so is safe.

• 5 months later...

I purchased one for our upcoming cruise next month. It's called the Voltage Valet and has three outlets for grounded or ungrounded plugs as well as a USB port. And the really neat thing about it is that as long as the plug and receptacle are physically compatible you can plug it in to either a 220V or 110V outlet and charge dual voltage appliances. Note the requirement that your appliance has to be dual voltage to be able to do this. Since so many appliances (iPhone, iPad, cameras, etc) are now manufactured in countries that use 220V current it makes sense that more and more appliances are being manufactured as dual voltage. But you have to be sure whether or not your appliance is dual voltage before trying this.

I got mine from either Travelsmith or Magellan. For a thorough explanation of this power strip and dual voltage appliances go to the Magellan's website.

I just will never understand why rooms were not designed with adequate outlets. The fire hazard from an octopus of wires and cords coming from a single source looks to be about equal to having an iron in the room.

I will have the tangle of cords, extenders, and splitters myself; definitely not attacking any members. It's just a pet peeve of mine to find hotel rooms without outlets next to the bed on both sides. And for HAL to take it one step farther in inconvenience and only have one outlet in rooms that 4 people might be sharing seems absurd.

Ditto with the others about the power strip. We use it for recharging. Even if we were using all of the outlets on our power strip to recharge, I doubt it would use more watts than the blow dryer supplied by HAL. One of the nice things is everything is recharging in one location. Works great for hotel rooms as well then there is no problem with did I get all my chargers when leaving a room. Last trip with DD and DH, 2 computers, 3 cell phones, 1 nook, 1 tablet, 2 cameras:eek:

This Europlug adapter is sold at Target for US$4 and is very small. Don't be confused by the "Southern Europe" description; this is the standard Europlug used throughout Europe for travelers.

This is a mechanical adapter only and therefore 220VAC is still coming out. It is perfectly safe for dual voltage electronic devices. Verify that your device accepts both 110 and 220/240 before using.

igraf

781025245_poweradapter.jpg.2ce5a5c4dc3b2dfcd0c5447e861d19c5.jpg

Does Hal allow you to bring an extension cord they have not approved?

From the information I have gathered.... officially no, but many people bring one of their own. To be on the safe side I always run by the front desk with my power bar and extension, and they've always OK'd them.

On our first cruise it was recommened by posters on CC that we pack a power strip, so we brought one and used it.

Since then we learned that on a HAL ship it is not allowed by the rules. If you want one, you are supposed to ask for one from the service desk or your room steward. This is simply about safety, and I for one would not take chances at bringing something on board that could potentially cause a fire. For our second HAL cruise we went to the service desk and signed one out.

Which is all well and good if they don't run out...

Whenever this question comes up I always see people posting "well I bring my own in case they run out" but I've never seen anyone post that they didn't bring one and HAL ran out.

The fewer things I have to pack and bring the happier I am, so I will ask my cabin steward until they run out then I will think about bringing my own.

No, never.

And I hope nobody brings one of those cheap fire hazard made in China dollar/pound store cords aboard any cruise ship that we are on.

Like others have said, we have never had a problem getting one on board when we needed it.

Ditto with the others about the power strip. We use it for recharging. Even if we were using all of the outlets on our power strip to recharge, I doubt it would use more watts than the blow dryer supplied by HAL. One of the nice things is everything is recharging in one location. Works great for hotel rooms as well then there is no problem with did I get all my chargers when leaving a room. Last trip with DD and DH, 2 computers, 3 cell phones, 1 nook, 1 tablet, 2 cameras:eek:

All these things need to be charged every day at the same time. 3 cell phones where are you going to use them.

All these things need to be charged every day at the same time. 3 cell phones where are you going to use them.

:rolleyes:

Some of us use our cell phones for things other than making phone calls. Like knowing what time it is, keeping track of appointments and activities, taking photos, etc.

If there are three people in a cabin, they may each have a phone...

If they are using the phones during the day, then yes, they would all be plugged in during the same time (at night) to charge.

Yes I bring my own and I didn't buy it at the dollar store. I will now be travelling with a cpap machine so also bringing an extension cord. :eek:

For people who use cpap machines, it would be medically unsafe to board and find out that Hal doesn't have any more cords.

We bought a compact travel strip from Amazon (see photo) for $10--and always travel with it. In addition to handling 3-prong plugs is had a USB outlet. Very useful for charging laptop, cameras, ereader, etc.

944069411_powerstrip.jpg.2d9731a8377178fcd2ba918de21e5474.jpg

Archived