?? For those back from Alaska-formal nights

jamscckmc

Asked this on the Alaska boards with still no clear answer. We are leaving next Friday for a 14 day cruise tour. With all the heavy warm weather gear we need to pack my DH does not want to bring a suit. A lot of people suggest a sport coat but that is as heavy as a suit jacket.

For those of you who have cruised Alaska this year on Princess, were there many men in just dress pants, dress shirt and tie? Did you see anyone turned away at the door of the MDR for not having a jacket? Thanks!

We sailed on the Island Princess Inside Passage Northbound followed by a 6 day land tour 5/23-6/5/12. Prior to this cruise, hubby always wore a tux on all formal nights, but he left it at home and went with a sports coat. He was among many. We even saw sweater vests on formal nights.

The key is being warm and comfortable!

We saw everything from tuxes to polo shirts and khakis on men in the dining room on formal night. Many men wore a long sleeve short and a tie. It was definitely the most casual formal night I have experienced.
Ditto. Our motto for packing less was, "there's always the buffet!" :)

Hubby wore a sports coat with a dress shirt, no tie, as well as many other gentlemen. I see no reason to do very formal clothing unless you plan on standing for a professional photo of which there are many available on formal night. If you do desire to dress-up. don't wear anything heavy. The dining room is very warm.

Asked this on the Alaska boards with still no clear answer. We are leaving next Friday for a 14 day cruise tour. With all the heavy warm weather gear we need to pack my DH does not want to bring a suit. A lot of people suggest a sport coat but that is as heavy as a suit jacket.

For those of you who have cruised Alaska this year on Princess, were there many men in just dress pants, dress shirt and tie? Did you see anyone turned away at the door of the MDR for not having a jacket? Thanks!

We saw lots of men dressed like you described. No problem.

We have found the Alaska cruises to be much more informal.

I know it's difficult to pack for an extended cruise tour. Just remember that you can do laundry on the ship.

Have fun!

On our Alaskan voyage on the Golden Princess in June, the one night that we participated in formal night (the other we went to Sabatini's), I wore a long sleeve shirt and a tie and had no problem getting into the dining room.

Just choose an alternative dining spot for formal night if you don't want to dress up. There are specialty restaurants, pizza, buffet and burger bar.

If you want to go to the MDR, at least wear a coat and tie. :)

Absolutely, can wear just slacks, dress shirt, and a tie. There are many men that cruise to Alaska who are not the dress up type--not saying that's what you are--but you will see some people really dressed up.... and some less dressed up. I have taken several Alaskan cruises... though it is frowned upon by some for people to wear jeans to dinner at all... there are still a hand full of people who do. What I say.... it is America and you paid top dollar for the trip, so dress however you want and be happy :) btw... if you want to pay a little extra $$$ you can rent a tux on the ship.

I don't think anyone here is saying you "can't" get into the dining room with out a jacket on formal night, but it is possible that, as most people follow the Princess guidelines, you could find yourself in the minority. Cruisers should be appraised of this possibility so that they can make an informed decision. Some people have come back from their Alaskan cruises and posted here that they were in the minority and that they felt underdressed and uncomfortable. They seem to feel that things they read on CC weren't what they anticipated

We got off the Golden Princess last Saturday. For the trip, I took a dark sports coat, two colors of khakis, & two ties. I never felt under dressed. Most seemed to wear some sort of jacket on formal nights but a few wore only shirts & ties. Another tip, check out bundle wrapping on the onebag.com web site. I tried bundle wrapping my clothes for the first time & it worked really well plus it saves space in my luggage. Have a great trip.

We are currently on the Island in Alaska. DH always wears a tux on formal nights, and brought it, but also brought a simple dress shirt and tie to wear with Dockers. He wears the tux on the second formal night (Captains Circle party) and the dress shirt and tie on the first formal night. He definitely is more in line with what others are wearing on the first formal night.

I've worn jeans to the dining room for dinner on three nights out of 10 so far, something I don't usually do. With late stays in port and two evenings where we haven't arrived at glaciers until dinner time, these are definitely less formal cruises, both on smart casual and formal nights.

We are home just 2 weeks from our cruise on the Island Southbound Alaska. My DH took and wore his black suit on both formal nights. And both nights HE was in the MINORITY. We were in anytime dining and both times he was the only one at the table with a jacket. Others were in dress shirt/dockers (no tie), sweater/dockers (no tie).

If it really bothers you that you may be in the minority or that others on the ship won't be pleased with you choice of clothing then by all means pack the formal clothing, but if your like many others who just want to vacation aboard a ship in Alaska then leave the suit behind & enjoy the main dining room dressed casually on any night - formal or casual. The ships crew won't care either way.

Just back from the Sea Princess to Alaska on a 10 day cruise. We had two formal nights. We had seats near the door entrance so we could see everyone who came to the MDR for dinner. Most of the men had suits or jackets and ties. Only saw a couple of tuxedos. There were a few men who just had a nice shirt, tie and slacks. I saw two young boys dressed in a suit and bow ties. They were very cute!

You won't be turned away if you're not dressed up on formal night, but you may feel out of place.

We met a man from New Jersey who told us he has never worn a suit on a cruise, didn't bring a suit, and to "h@@l!" with formal night. He was going to eat in the MDF and dressed as he pleased. We didn't see him one of the formal nights and the other he showed up in a wrinkled polo shirt with collar.

Nobody gets kicked out for not wearing a suit. If you feel uncomfortable, you can always eat in the buffet those nights.

Archived