Where is the best place to exchange US dollars to Canadian dollars

We live in California... going on a ten day cruise to Quebec. Would like to have Canadian dollars to pay for everything. Are we better off exchanging money here in California at the local bank or waiting till we get to the first port? Thanks

Use an ATM . They are everywhere. Bank affiliated ones are better as a rule.

We live in California... going on a ten day cruise to Quebec. Would like to have Canadian dollars to pay for everything. Are we better off exchanging money here in California at the local bank or waiting till we get to the first port? Thanks

Find a Scotia Bank (major Canadian bank), and use an ATM there. Scotia have no fees for BofA customers using their machines.

The way things work in Canada is we charge more in most cases for services. If you want to exchange my guess is you'll get better rates your side of the border and as someone pointed out if you're a BoA client it's possible you'll get no exchange rate charged (which wouldn't happen here!).

I really don't think it much matters whether you do it a BofA or wait until you get to your first port in Quebec and go to a Canadian bank. Your branch of the BofA may have to order it in for you though.

My branch keeps the most often requested currencies "in stock," and I am not in a big city. I call in advance to make sure they have it, but I have had no trouble getting Pounds, Euros, or CAD. I did have to pre-order Australian currency.

My branch keeps the most often requested currencies "in stock," and I am not in a big city. I call in advance to make sure they have it, but I have had no trouble getting Pounds, Euros, or CAD. I did have to pre-order Australian currency.

My BofA branch in Fort Mohave, AZ asks "you want what?":D although I suspect they have pesos available. It obviously varies from bank to bank and from branch to branch, I went to my local Royal Bank of Canada recently to get some Euros and GBP and while they had some pounds available (only because they had bought them from a client that day and wern't in the denominations I wanted) I had to wait 3 days to get the currencies.

This is what is called literally a MONEY ORDER...:cool:

My BofA branch in Fort Mohave, AZ asks "you want what?":D although I suspect they have pesos available. It obviously varies from bank to bank and from branch to branch, I went to my local Royal Bank of Canada recently to get some Euros and GBP and while they had some pounds available (only because they had bought them from a client that day and wern't in the denominations I wanted) I had to wait 3 days to get the currencies.

Archived