has anyone ever had a connecting flight through moscow?

juanarcin

I'm going to be on the Mariner in October and my flight has a connection through SVO in Moscow. I was looking into maybe exploring Moscow a bit since its a long layover but heard that you needed a visa to leave the airport, or a tour with a licensed travel agency. I decided to look into a travel agency and they asked me if I have my transit visa yet. I wasnt sure what they meant and after looking into it a bit I found the following on the Russian Embassy website:

"Transit Visas: Travelers intending to transit through Russia en route to a third country must have a Russian transit visa. Even travelers who are simply changing planes in Moscow or another international airport in Russia for an onward destination will be asked to present a transit visa issued by a Russian Embassy or Consulate. Russian authorities may refuse to allow a U.S. citizen who does not have a transit visa to continue with his or her travel, obliging the person to immediately return to the point of embarkation at the traveler’s own expense."

This is the first ive heard about this! can anyone let me know of any experiences they've had going through this airport? I'm concerned about whether or not ill have enough time to get a visa before my trip, its one month away!

It's not the first time you've heard of it. I pointed this out to you in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1695792

Visa requirements detailed here:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1006.html

You are not required to get a transit visa if you are staying less than 24 hours. You must hold a confirmed airline ticket on to your next destination. Leaving the airport transit area is not permitted. You can't visit Moscow without the appropriate visas. Please note the State Dept. webpage states although a visa isn't needed if you meet the above requirements, you may be asked for one anyway.

It's not the first time you've heard of it. I pointed this out to you in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1695792

To avoid problems, you need a visa.

Correct, and thank you for providing the info you did in that thread. however I didnt feel it applied to me since it mentioned staying in the zone for 24 hours. I will only be staying there for 9. Maybe I misunderstood, but at the moment i felt it didnt apply to me. But, its because of info like those provided by members like you (I greatly thank you), that I started to really look into this. so I'm still a bit confused. the info you sent says:

"If you are transiting through one international airport in Russia, and will depart again in 24 hours to an onward international destination, without leaving the customs zone, Russian law does not require you to have a transit visa. However, this law is sometimes misinterpreted by travelers and customs officials alike, and we recommend you obtain a Russian transit visa if there is any doubt about your transit plans. "

Then the link I read says you need one to transit through the airport. So it seems like a lot of cross information. Also seems like a big issue for an airport to simply be undecided about and choosing who can get on their connecting flight and who cant depending on which customs official you speak to. thats why I am curious to hear from people who have traveled this route, specifically if they didnt have a visa.

As 6rugrats posted, you asked the same questions in another thread. DID you PAY ATTENTION to the info? There are NO consulates/Embassy's in SO CAL. You will have to pay a visa service IF you want to leave the airport. As I posted in the other thread, get a couple of books and find a quiet place to wait out your 9 hour layover. Visa's are a pain to get. You need to get your ducks in a row NOW!!!

http://www.svo.aero/en/transit/int-int/

It means 24 hours or less, not exactly 24 hours, so it applies to you.

No one can tell you definatively if you will be asked for a visa. Your airline can ask you for it when you board in the US. You can be asked for it when you arrive in Russia. Yes, a lot of conflicting information; welcome to Russia.

That is why I asked you in your other thread why, why, why did you chose a flight that connected there?

Personally, I would get the visa. Better safe then sorry. I guess you have to decide how lucky you feel. I would not feel like arguing with a Russian customs official.

6rugrats and greatam, please dont take offense to what I am about to say because despite what I am about to write below, I truly appreciate both your help. You two have gotten me in a huge hunt for answers and I greatly appreciate your pointing me in some sort of direction.

Having said that....

My last thread was geared more towards info on getting flights on your own vs getting them through the cruise line. both of you pointed this issue about the visas (thank you). so I started a new thread specifically asking about the visas, because obviously the last thread was not about visas they just got mentioned. Obviously people who know about visas wont help me much if I post visa questions on a thread titled "has anyone ever had a connecting flight through moscow?" . So that takes care of the 'why are you asking this question again' type of vibe I get from you guys. Secondly, you guys, while answering with helpful info, answer in a tone of making me seem like im an idiot (for lack of a better term, Im not offended at all and hope you arent either at my use of this word) for asking these questions. both of you are saying "weve answered this question already, we provided the info to back up our answer, and you come and ask it again." now while both of you are correct when saying it, do you also not see that each of you gave a complete opposite answer? AND GAVE PROOF TO BACK UP THESE COMPLETE OPPOSITE ANSWERS! so I find it funny that I start another thread to clear up the two best answers i got because they were conflicting, only to get the same two answers AND have those answers given to me like I didnt undersatnd the first time! again I thank yo both for your help. i'm not complaining nor am i offended at the way you are answering, I just find it funny is all. Having said all of that I am again conflicted because once again you both make very very good points with the two following lines:

greatam: "get a couple of books and find a quiet place to wait out your 9 hour layover. Visa's are a pain to get."

and

6rugrats: "Better safe then sorry. I guess you have to decide how lucky you feel. I would not feel like arguing with a Russian customs official."

So once again (at the risk of getting talked to like a child again) I am hoping to hear from people who have gone through this.

Anytime you leave the airport, without being with a tour guide from an approved Russian Tourist Agency, you must have an individual visa. Your visa will be checked when arriving back at the airport, and if you don't have it, you'll have some pretty big troubles. Unlike places like South Africa and Turkey, there isn't a visa place in Russian Airports.

The info you provided says that you don't need a visa IF you don't leave the Custom's Zone. If you leave the airport, you're leaving the Custom's Zone.

Get the visa and cover your behind. Better to have it and not spend time in a Russian police building.

Look at it this way. If you want to step one foot off the cruise ship in a Russian port, without being with a ship tour or a government approved travel agency, like Denrus or Red October, you absolutely need a visa. Same for the airports. You step one foot out the door, you need the visa. If you don't leave the airport, you don't need the visa because you're "in transit". But leaving the airport grounds no longer makes you in transit. You're a foreigner needing a visa.

I have been to Moscow.

I have had to apply for the Russian Federation VISA. It will take you longer to fill out the paperwork than the time you will have during your connection. It must be completed without errors or erasures. It is intrusive, especially if you have ever served in the military or the government. You do have to send your passport along with the application and you are running out of time. The last time I checked the visa was $175, and it may be more now.

In 9 hours, considering the distance between the airport and the Kremlin (for example) you will get a drive by and not much more. You will not have time to walk through Red Square, see Lenin's tomb or visit the Armory. You won't have time to view the city from the Olympics site, and I can go on and on. One of the reasons is airport security. You don't really have nine hours, you have about 6 1/2 if you're lucky.

If I may offer a suggestion, purchase a club pass and take a shower, relax and get a bowl of borsht.

I hope you get back to Moscow. Plan a week there and you will see the highlights and get a feel for the city.

I have been to Moscow.

I have had to apply for the Russian Federation VISA. It will take you longer to fill out the paperwork than the time you will have during your connection. It must be completed without errors or erasures. It is intrusive, especially if you have ever served in the military or the government. You do have to send your passport along with the application and you are running out of time. The last time I checked the visa was $175, and it may be more now.

In 9 hours, considering the distance between the airport and the Kremlin (for example) you will get a drive by and not much more. You will not have time to walk through Red Square, see Lenin's tomb or visit the Armory. You won't have time to view the city from the Olympics site, and I can go on and on. One of the reasons is airport security. You don't really have nine hours, you have about 6 1/2 if you're lucky.

If I may offer a suggestion, purchase a club pass and take a shower, relax and get a bowl of borsht.

I hope you get back to Moscow. Plan a week there and you will see the highlights and get a feel for the city.

Thank you Alcpa, this is great advice. From the research ive been doing it sounds like you and Kitty are correct. As long as i dont leave the designated area I should be fine. And leaving sounds like more trouble than its worth. Thank you both for giving me your thoughts and experiences on the matter.

You got conflicting answers because in your situation, you should not have to obtain a transit visa if you stay in the secure area of the airport, and you can get to your next flight without exiting this area. However, you may be asked for a transit visa, even though you are not required to have one.

OP, despite any info you receive here, if your quote from the Russian Government is correct: "Transit Visas: Travelers intending to transit through Russia en route to a third country must have a Russian transit visa. Even travelers who are simply changing planes in Moscow or another international airport in Russia for an onward destination will be asked to present a transit visa issued by a Russian Embassy or Consulate. Russian authorities may refuse to allow a U.S. citizen who does not have a transit visa to continue with his or her travel, obliging the person to immediately return to the point of embarkation at the traveler’s own expense."

I would depend on that for my guidance. Because someone else was able to get through or not would quickly become your problem if they stop you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

A recent ombudsman letter in the current issue of International Travel News (ITN) was about a problem that was the same as the question you asked. They had to 'transfer' between terminals at Moscow Sheremetyevo (SVO) and from terminals B/C to Terminals D/E/F and were NOT allowed to because they did not have the Russian Transit Visa. They were sent home instead of being allowed to catch their flight to Belarus. (At their own expense for the new ticket).

For safety's sake GET THE TRANSIT VISA.

A recent ombudsman letter in the current issue of International Travel News (ITN) was about a problem that was the same as the question you asked. They had to 'transfer' between terminals at Moscow Sheremetyevo (SVO) and from terminals B/C to Terminals D/E/F and were NOT allowed to because they did not have the Russian Transit Visa. They were sent home instead of being allowed to catch their flight to Belarus. (At their own expense for the new ticket).

For safety's sake GET THE TRANSIT VISA.

That's correct; to get to their next flight, they had to leave the secure area. When this happens, you must have a transit visa.

Archived