Fascination Man Overboard 8-27-12? (MERGED THREADS)

ThinkingWoman

Almost anyone that jumps from 87ft will have some type of blunt force trauma. Whether it be a fx of a limb. punctured lung, ruptured spleen.

He was probably traveling about 25 mph when he hit the water.

If he had jumped from the top deck of the ALLURE he would probably die on impact.

My guess is he broke his neck and unless he had a pfd on, drown.

Maybe you should warn those guys at La Quebrada that regularly dive from 125ft.

#1 definately no.

#2 maybe.

Your thoughts are probably close to correct on the jump.

Almost anyone that jumps from 87ft will have some type of blunt force trauma. Whether it be a fx of a limb. punctured lung, ruptured spleen.

He was probably traveling about 25 mph when he hit the water.

If he had jumped from the top deck of the ALLURE he would probably die on impact.

My guess is he broke his neck and unless he had a pfd on, drown.

If it was 87 feet, he was likely travelling closer to 50 mph when he hit the water. Probably fatal unless he hit the water like a diver, hitting water at high speed is like hitting concrete.

If it was 87 feet, he was likely travelling closer to 50 mph when he hit the water. Probably fatal unless he hit the water like a diver, hitting water at high speed is like hitting concrete.

Yeah, absent slowing affects from lack of streamlining, the physics says he would be going ~51 mph. :(

hitting water at high speed is like hitting concrete.

No it's not, it's just like hitting water. There's a huge difference. That's why they fire bullets into water instead of concrete when they want a gun sample and high speed sleds used by NASA and the USAF in ejection tests, use water brakes. It's not the speed that kills you, it's the rate of deceleration.

You have no idea how this guy entered the water. Feet first and he would have easily survived the fall.

Thanks Aquahound for keeping us updated.. I am sure there will be more information regarding this situation when the ship arrives back into port.

Prayers go out to the friends and family of this individual and to the passengers and crew of the Facination as well as all those who are searching. God Bless..

Yeah, absent slowing affects from lack of streamlining, the physics says he would be going ~51 mph. :(

That is correct. An 87 ft. (26.5 meters) fall at approx. 9.8 m/sec2 would put an object in the water in about 2.3 seconds at a speed of 50.8 miles/hr.

No it's not, it's just like hitting water. There's a huge difference. That's why they fire bullets into water instead of concrete when they want a gun sample and high speed sleds used by NASA and the USAF in ejection tests, use water brakes. It's not the speed that kills you, it's the rate of deceleration.

You have no idea how this guy entered the water. Feet first and he would have easily survived the fall.

Which is why I qualified my statement with "unless he hit the water like a diver"... a lot of those professional cliff divers go feet first. If he were to belly flop or hit flat on his back the initial deceleration is very much like hitting concrete. I don't remember too much of my fluid dynamics class from college, but I retained some ;)

Maybe you should warn those guys at La Quebrada that regularly dive from 125ft.

Ive seen those guys a few times CRAZY especially the night dives with torches. I jump from Black rock in Maui that is high enough for me

I know alot of people and I am one of them, that can afford to cruise on any line. I have been blessed with a good paying job. I choose to cruise on Carnival because I like them, we have fun and it is a great value. BTW, I also shop at walmart alot even though I can afford to shop most anywhere. Why? because they have what I want, thats why!

That was fantastic. Well said!!

That is correct. An 87 ft. (26.5 meters) fall at approx. 9.8 m/sec2 would put an object in the water in about 2.3 seconds at a speed of 50.8 miles/hr.

Hmm I wonder if I missed something in my calculation:rolleyes: IM JK:D

Yep I was wrong .... guess the brain doesnt work like it use too:o

... a lot of those professional cliff divers go feet first.

Agreed, all four in the photo below are feet first, but one was from 135'.:eek:

As I said earlier, it's not the speed that kills you, it's the sudden stop and water is very forgiving.

2781505130032533819S600x600Q85.jpg

No problem. Yea, I figured that part wouldn't resonate well with folks here....hopefully folks can just overlook that part. Or at least, maybe the short itineraries could have been the focus of his comments instead of the entire line. Either way, I'd say the relevant part was early in the article when he questions the coincidence of security being right there when he jumped.

I've thought that myself...and at 2 am...someone was doing something he shouldn't have been and thought he could get away with it.

Thanks for keeping us updated Aquahound....it will be interesting to find out the whole truth.

ps - I also enjoyed the article about you...very cool :)

Agreed, all four in the photo below are feet first, but one was from 135'.:eek:

As I said earlier, it's not the speed that kills you, it's the sudden stop and water is very forgiving.

That puts the diver in the water in about 2.89 seconds at approx. 63 MPH.

Your class is the classiest and your type is the Grade A!!

I think people that talk about class and type in putting people down are just trying to feel better about themselves.

It's a normal phenomenia explained by basic sociology, why some hate a different color or religion, sexual orientation. They just are so unconfident about themselves they have to put others down to make themselves feel higher, sad huh???

Thanks! :D

I agree with your explaination. And yes, it is sad.

Here is a list of people overboard in the last 12 years. It happens more than you think.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Overboard.html

Seems to me it is the cruise line that carries the most passengers at the most econimical prices that get the most activity. I guess that is why it always seems to be a Carnival Ship. Simple statistics would indicate it should be that way.

Reason I said that - even tho he was on leave - isn't he still considered "property" of the government? :confused:[/quo

Given that he was on leave the case would normally be left in the hands of civillan autherties. Army CID is most likly being read into the invsagtion. But unless there becomes a question of foul play that will be the exact of their involment.

The article I just read said they threw the life preservers in after he jumped.

"Bello said the crew threw life rings into the water immediately after Kemp jumped. It's not known whether the man grabbed any of the five rings, said Petty Officer First Class Lauren Jorgensen, a Coast Guard spokeswoman."

Sorry OB. I have a feeling CCL is taking measures to protect themselves right now, and my compadres on scene are keeping tight-lipped with the media. We may have to wait until Fascination returns to JAX for more to be released. I just don't want to get myself in hot water by saying too much too early.

Cruise Law is starting to ask relevant questions though:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2012/08/articles/disappearances-1/man-overboard-what-really-happened-aboard-the-carnival-fascination/

I really find his "booze cruise" reference very offensive. I have sailed Carnival many times and must be lucky because I have yet to experience this.

This is a terrible thing tha happened and I find some of this mans comments out of line. He is entitled to his opinion though.

I feel very sorry for this gentlemans family and I really cannot wait to see to TRUE stroy here.

Thanks Aquahound for your knowledge. You have always been helpful and informative.

I feel sympathy for you for the loss of your dad, I lost my dad early and I can understand your loss. I also feel sympathy for what your mom went through as my mom is still dealing with it.

thank you..

But, lets get real, equating a man jumping off of a cruise ship in an attempt to elude security with 9/11? That's reaching a little bit. I was in the Pentagon that day and while I didn't know anybody that died I know plenty of people that were affected. Do I feel the loss of everyone that died that day? Of course I do. But those lives were not lost through anything that THEY did. They were lost through the actions of a small group of idiots. Millions of people were affected by the actions of a few.

I was not equating the man jumping with 9/11. Someone had said in an earlier post, that she or he could not believe people were feeling sad over the death of a stranger. I compared it to something I knew we all had heard about, instead of comparing it to someone that lives down the street that we don't know. I am sorry that you missed my point

And that's what happened yesterday. Thousands of people were affected by the actions of one. I don't know what was going through his head and I don't know what his family is dealing with, but he took it upon himself to grab a life-ring and to depart that vessel.

His family is dealing with the loss of a loved one, be it a brother, a father, a son, or just a very good friend.... and I find it very sad that there are those selfish few that are more concerned that they missed Key West... instead of having compassion for this mans family... no matter how his death happened.

I work in the defense industry and I FEEL the loss of everyone serviceman and civilian that are fighting for US overseas and stationed in the states. I grieve along with the families that lost loved ones in the Aurora shooting. I grieve along with the victims families in the Sikh temple shooting.

If this man from the Carnival ship were truly a suicide or an accident then I would have empathy, and if it turns out to be so then I will feel suitably ashamed of my words, however I will not get myself worked up over an act of stupidity.

No one is asking you to get worked up over what you are calling stupidity... just have a little compassion over someone that lost his life, and his family that are grieving the loss of their loved one... its one day lost for the passengers... it's a lifetime lost for him and his family...

"Bello said the crew threw life rings into the water immediately after Kemp jumped. It's not known whether the man grabbed any of the five rings, said Petty Officer First Class Lauren Jorgensen, a Coast Guard spokeswoman."

I think it is known, he did NOT.:(

Archived