Regatta: No Room at the Inn?

Hunding

Wednesday

August 29, 2012

3:50 p.m. local time in Istanbul

Set out about 11:30 this morning for a cruise of the Bosphorus, and saw the longest line-up of cruise ships along the quay - Aegean Paradise, Celebrity Equinox, HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam, and MSC's Divina. And swaying at anchor a little to the north was Regatta. Still there as I write, though not for long, as I know at least two of the behemoths set sail later today. But very curious to find out what happened....

Wednesday

August 29, 2012

3:50 p.m. local time in Istanbul

Set out about 11:30 this morning for a cruise of the Bosphorus, and saw the longest line-up of cruise ships along the quay - Aegean Paradise, Celebrity Equinox, HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam, and MSC's Divina. And swaying at anchor a little to the north was Regatta. Still there as I write, though not for long, as I know at least two of the behemoths set sail later today. But very curious to find out what happened....

That is unusual.

Does that mean that disembarking passengers got off with tenders or was she there overnight and will disembark only tomorrow (once docked)?

New cruise starts Aug 30th so maybe they were over nighting & people were tendered in earlier in the morning

You are correct. Regatta is spending the night of the 29th in Istanbul. Guests currently onboard will disembark tommorow, the 30th, and Regatta will pick up new guests. I have friends who are currently onboard.

Rickey Cruz

You are correct. Regatta is spending the night of the 29th in Istanbul. Guests currently onboard will disembark tommorow, the 30th, and Regatta will pick up new guests. I have friends who are currently onboard.

Rickey Cruz

August 30th

9:10 a.m.

Right on, Rickey Cruz, Black Sea pax are in the process of disembarking right now - and we Lisbon-bound pax will be boarding later today. But, I repeat, there was no "tendering" pax yesterday - they remained onboard for the entire time at anchor, and finally docked a little after 5 p.m.

I'm sure we'll find out what transpired.

August 30th

9:10 a.m.

Right on, Rickey Cruz, Black Sea pax are in the process of disembarking right now - and we Lisbon-bound pax will be boarding later today. But, I repeat, there was no "tendering" pax yesterday - they remained onboard for the entire time at anchor, and finally docked a little after 5 p.m.

I'm sure we'll find out what transpired.

At what time did the ship arrive in Istanbul?

Now that the Regatta has docked, is she at the usual place for Oceania cruise ships? We are currently at the Hilton and the only information we have is the name of the terminal - Salipazari Port OR Kakakoy Port. What do we tell the taxi driver?

Now that the Regatta has docked, is she at the usual place for Oceania cruise ships? We are currently at the Hilton and the only information we have is the name of the terminal - Salipazari Port OR Kakakoy Port. What do we tell the taxi driver?

There should be an Oceania Courtesy Desk in the lobby of the Hilton on sailing morning.

There should be an Oceania Courtesy Desk in the lobby of the Hilton on sailing morning.

If there is one, it is well hidden. I guess we will get a hotel taxi and hope for the best. We did our own travel reservations so perhaps that is the reason. This is our first Oceania cruise so we will see how it works. Thanks for responding.

If there is one, it is well hidden. I guess we will get a hotel taxi and hope for the best. We did our own travel reservations so perhaps that is the reason. This is our first Oceania cruise so we will see how it works. Thanks for responding.

there should be a contact number in your blue book for an Oceania rep

Or just get the front desk to call the port authority

You are probably onboard now anyway so it is a moot point ;)

I haven't read all the comments but we were on board.

We were originally supposed to dock at 11am. The port before was Sinop,Turkey, and the first word was that because of rough weather we would have to tender rather than dock. Then the weather got so bad that the visit was cancelled completely and we just went on to Istanbul. The seas were quite rough for that day. (Until the end of the cruise the seas had been as calm as could be!)

Now we were supposed to arrive at noon, but the ship in our berth refused to leave until 5pm. So our day in Istanbul before leaving the ship the next day was quite diminished. Eventually Regatta got permission to tender in to Istanbul but even so those of us who went ashore didn't have the time we'd expected.

We ourselves caught a tender around 3pm and went to the Modern Art Museum. (All ship's tours went off as scheduled albeit quite late.) The captain had by now said that they expected to be docked by 6pm, but that those of us going on shore would not be able to return to the ship between 4:30 and 6:00 since the tender service would cease at 4:30.

When we came out of the museum at 6pm Regatta was docked right there, but unfortunately we had to walk about a half a mile up to be able to enter the dock area, and then another half mile or so to get to the ship. So frustrating to see her right there and not be able to climb the fence!!!!

When we left our tender upon arrival we saw that the ship in question was still loading luggage. We were all blaming the Celebrity vessel first, and then when we saw the Holland America ship leave around 5pm (from the museum) we were convinced she was the culprit. But in fact it was a small, older Greek ship. Someone said he'd been told that this ship didn't have appropriate thrusters to allow it to get out of the crowded docking area, but I have no idea if that was the case. I rather doubt it. (It certainly could have been a factor, but if they were set to leave at noon why were they loading luggage at 3:30?)

The next night we happened to see Regatta leaving from the restaurant deck at our hotel around 8pm, so she did leave late. But I got some nice shots (I hope) of Regatta sailing by the Blue Mosque ...

The crew did their best in a difficult situation.

At breakfast the morning we left an English couple told us this was the second time they arrived in Istanbul where a departing ship refused to leave on schedule. Maybe this happens here more than we knew.

Mura

We were originally supposed to dock at 11am. The port before was Sinop,Turkey, and the first word was that because of rough weather we would have to tender rather than dock. Then the weather got so bad that the visit was cancelled completely and we just went on to Istanbul. The seas were quite rough for that day. (Until the end of the cruise the seas had been as calm as could be!)

Now we were supposed to arrive at noon, but the ship in our berth refused to leave until 5pm. So our day in Istanbul before leaving the ship the next day was quite diminished. Eventually Regatta got permission to tender in to Istanbul but even so those of us who went ashore didn't have the time we'd expected.

We ourselves caught a tender around 3pm and went to the Modern Art Museum. (All ship's tours went off as scheduled albeit quite late.) The captain had by now said that they expected to be docked by 6pm, but that those of us going on shore would not be able to return to the ship between 4:30 and 6:00 since the tender service would cease at 4:30.

When we came out of the museum at 6pm Regatta was docked right there, but unfortunately we had to walk about a half a mile up to be able to enter the dock area, and then another half mile or so to get to the ship. So frustrating to see her right there and not be able to climb the fence!!!!

When we left our tender upon arrival we saw that the ship in question was still loading luggage. We were all blaming the Celebrity vessel first, and then when we saw the Holland America ship leave around 5pm (from the museum) we were convinced she was the culprit. But in fact it was a small, older Greek ship. Someone said he'd been told that this ship didn't have appropriate thrusters to allow it to get out of the crowded docking area, but I have no idea if that was the case. I rather doubt it. (It certainly could have been a factor, but if they were set to leave at noon why were they loading luggage at 3:30?)

The next night we happened to see Regatta leaving from the restaurant deck at our hotel around 8pm, so she did leave late. But I got some nice shots (I hope) of Regatta sailing by the Blue Mosque ...

At breakfast the morning we left an English couple told us this was the second time they arrived in Istanbul where a departing ship refused to leave on schedule. Maybe this happens here more than we knew.

Mura

you always pick the good cruises :). welcome back!!!

gary

Mura

September 4, 2012

En route (in very choppy, but beautiful, seas) to Cagliari, Sardinia. Unable to dock or tender in Trapani this morning -- very disappointing, but there you are.

I was quite mistaken when I posted on the 29th that there were no tenders -- as Mura has pointed out, there were, indeed, tenders. My error was assuming that, since I saw no Regatta tenders, there were none at all. Not the case -- Oceania arranged a rather large tended to ferry pax between ship and land. My apologies.

Mura, actually we didn't sail late on the 30th -- we discovered when boarding that the departure time had been changed from 5 to 8 p.m. Had we known, of course, we would have had a fuller day in Istanbul, and still arrived at the ship for all the "opening ceremonies." C'est la vie.

Also we heard -- so, who knows? -- that MSC's Divina was responsible for the delay in docking. She was supposed to sail the previous evening or that morning, but couldn't budge from the pier -- or so I was told. Cannot attest to anything about that issue. I do know that she and Nieuw Amsterdam sailed an hour apart on the evening of the 29th.

BTW, apocalyptic rains and flooding in Valletta yesterday. Remarkable, really. No such thing as staying dry -- shoes, everything, soaked through. Cursed, swore, and then ended up laughing and giggling about it all. And had -- through the graces of a sensational tour guide and her/our terrific driver -- an extraordinarily rich and full day all over the island.

Savoring the memories...and hoping for more in Sardinia tomorrow.

Peter

Peter,

Actually I thought that it was likely that they had decided to sail late -- at least give somebody some extra time even if we didn't get it! And I wasn't positive about what the original departure time had been anyway but I was fairly sure it hadn't been as late as it was. Howeverk I'm glad that she sailed at that time because otherwise we wouldn't have seen her go!

There were several ships in port that day and indeed the MSC ship was one of them. The Nieuw Amsterdam, the small Greek ship, and a Celebrity ship. So we were all buzzing about which one it was and the crew was NOT talking.

Amazing weather you are having ... we had no rain at all and while a couple days were very hot, mostly it was pretty comfortable. Of course, we were in the Black Sea and you are not!

We had pouring rain in Palermo last October such as you described in Valetta ... it was still fun and interesting!

Mura

BTW, apocalyptic rains and flooding in Valletta yesterday. Remarkable, really. No such thing as staying dry -- shoes, everything, soaked through. Cursed, swore, and then ended up laughing and giggling about it all. And had -- through the graces of a sensational tour guide and her/our terrific driver -- an extraordinarily rich and full day all over the island.

Peter

I am envious of your remarkable attitude - the only way to go, really.

I wish I could be more like that in similar situations :mad:

:)

September 4, 2012

En route (in very choppy, but beautiful, seas) to Cagliari, Sardinia. Unable to dock or tender in Trapani this morning -- very disappointing, but there you are.

I was quite mistaken when I posted on the 29th that there were no tenders -- as Mura has pointed out, there were, indeed, tenders. My error was assuming that, since I saw no Regatta tenders, there were none at all. Not the case -- Oceania arranged a rather large tended to ferry pax between ship and land. My apologies.

Mura, actually we didn't sail late on the 30th -- we discovered when boarding that the departure time had been changed from 5 to 8 p.m. Had we known, of course, we would have had a fuller day in Istanbul, and still arrived at the ship for all the "opening ceremonies." C'est la vie.

Also we heard -- so, who knows? -- that MSC's Divina was responsible for the delay in docking. She was supposed to sail the previous evening or that morning, but couldn't budge from the pier -- or so I was told. Cannot attest to anything about that issue. I do know that she and Nieuw Amsterdam sailed an hour apart on the evening of the 29th.

Peter

Peter

WONDERFUL ATTITUDE !!!!

May we all continue to travel with the ability to laugh at ourselves.:)

S&S

Archived