First Time RCL Cruiser with Questions.

Hi All!

I have sailed twice with Carnival, and I have been totally satisfied with my cruising experience. But I feel like I should try other lines and not just limit myself to one.

So with saying that, I am getting really close to booking the Jewel out of Tampa in February. I have spent the last couple of weeks reading the RCL threads trying to familiarize myself with the line and the ship. So now I have questions.

I am more than likely booking a JR suite, unless I see a price drop on the Grand Suite (the room I really want). That brings me to my first question. Is the perks that I would get with the Grand Suite worth paying an extra grand? Is the room nice enough itself to be worth the extra money?

Next, I am really interested in the photo packages I have read about but I have not seen any prices anywhere. Could someone give me an idea what they usually run?

Of course I have been focusing on Jewel reviews, and think the ship is gorgeous. I have seen pictures of the Viking Crown Lounge and think its neat. But everything I read about it has had something to do with Diamond guests. Is this only available to Diamond and above guests?

Along those same lines, I noticed that some events are for Diamond (and above) and suite guests. Would I qualify for these events with a JR Suite? And are suite guests frowned upon at these events by guests who have earned their status by their loyalty to RCL?

And something very minor, but what beverages are served at the Windjammer? DH and I do not drink soda. On Carnival we would bring some bottled water with us and then drink tea and lemonade. Usually a combo of both, we love our Arnold Palmers..lol.

Thanks for any answers and sorry for the all questions. I am looking forward to experiencing a RCL cruise!

[quote name='tdmullins']Hi All!

I have sailed twice with Carnival, and I have been totally satisfied with my cruising experience. But I feel like I should try other lines and not just limit myself to one.

So with saying that, I am getting really close to booking the Jewel out of Tampa in February. I have spent the last couple of weeks reading the RCL threads trying to familiarize myself with the line and the ship. So now I have questions.

I am more than likely booking a JR suite, unless I see a price drop on the Grand Suite (the room I really want). That brings me to my first question. Is the perks that I would get with the Grand Suite worth paying an extra grand? Is the room nice enough itself to be worth the extra money? [COLOR=Red]This is personal, so I can only say that a GS is not worth $1000 on a short cruise to me.[/COLOR]

Next, I am really interested in the photo packages I have read about but I have not seen any prices anywhere. Could someone give me an idea what they usually run? [COLOR=Red]Can't help with this.[/COLOR]

Of course I have been focusing on Jewel reviews, and think the ship is gorgeous. I have seen pictures of the Viking Crown Lounge and think its neat. But everything I read about it has had something to do with Diamond guests. Is this only available to Diamond and above guests?[COLOR=Red] A portion of Viking Crown will be allocated to a Diamond Lounge in 2016. However, even after that, the majority of the Viking Crown area is open for all guests.[/COLOR]

Along those same lines, I noticed that some events are for Diamond (and above) and suite guests. Would I qualify for these events with a JR Suite? And are suite guests frowned upon at these events by guests who have earned their status by their loyalty to RCL? [COLOR=Red]A JS does not qualify for the bulk of the suite perks. You must have a GS or better. [/COLOR]

And something very minor, but what beverages are served at the Windjammer? DH and I do not drink soda. On Carnival we would bring some bottled water with us and then drink tea and lemonade. Usually a combo of both, we love our Arnold Palmers..lol. [COLOR=Red]Iced tea, lemonade, milk, coffee, hot tea, and juices at breakfast. Some ships also have flavored waters, but I don't know that specifically for Jewel.[/COLOR]

Thanks for any answers and sorry for the all questions. I am looking forward to experiencing a RCL cruise![/quote]
See answers in [COLOR=Red]RED[/COLOR] above.

Here is the pre order site for the photographers:
[URL]http://www.mycruisephotos.com/RCI/?utm_source=OnboardExperience&utm_medium=RCILink&utm_campaign=MCP[/URL]

It doesn't go out to February but just pick any date to get info on prices

Recommended tips are higher for a full suite -- $7.25 per day vs $5 per day, per person -- if that matters. All RCI ships have the Viking Crown. I prefer the voyager class (or higher) ships -- at least 138,000 tons. These have the Royal Promenade and Studio-B Ice Rink. But I'm sure you'll enjoy the Jewel too. You might check out the Freedom of the Seas or the Liberty of the Seas (freedom class ships).

Personally would not pay the extra brand for the Grand suite. But my opinion only.

Photo package when I pre-ordered for Freedom was 149 if I remember correctly.

On a side note, did the Jewel in Jan. I normally am a sucker for the larger ships but my wife and I LOVED this ship. Thinking of doing another 5 day trip on her again this coming Jan.

Note though for you. @ Sail away, go to the front of the ship outside (Think 12 or 13) and have your video camera running when you go under the bridge. Was a spectacular shot. And in Feb you should get the moon behind the ship after you pass under the bridge. A really neat experience.

The only "monetary" perk with a GS is the cocktail hour in the concierge lounge. If you could drink there ALL DAY, I'd say it was worth it, but since the drinking hours are limited, and you have to stay in the lounge with your drink, it wouldn't be worth $1000 to me. I like to do my drinking out and about!

The JS on this class ship is quite nice...you'll love the big, walkin closet and the bathroom is a bit larger because of the tub/shower combo.

We loved the outdoor WJ seating....we enjoy eating outdoors, weather permitting!
If you drink tea and lemonade, that's readily available in the WJ...tea is avail. at the dining room, as is ice water.

Thanks everyone for all of the info. It has really helped a lot.

I am really interested in the photo package because I can't seem to ever leave any photos on board.

As of right now I think I am sticking with the JS. Unless there is a big price drop. I would just go with a balcony but I do like the extra room. Also the two times we have sailed with Carnival we have done suites and now I am spoiled with the VIP embark. I read that RCL also has a special suites check-in.

I cruised out of Tampa last February and went under the bridge. I am looking forward to doing it in a different ship.

Thanks again for all of the help.

OMG!!!! I went back and reread my thread and I realized the I had put an L everywhere an I was supposed to be in RCI.

I apologize tremendously and thank everyone for not making me look stupid.

Jeez, I guess I really am a newbie to Royal Caribbean.

I have read that about JR suites. The one I will enjoy is the priority embark which is the ONLY perk I got with Carnival in the grand suite I booked twice with them (the best available on the two ships I have sailed). So even tho I would love those other perks, its not a deal breaker for me with the JR sute.

[quote name='tdmullins']I have read that about JR suites. The one I will enjoy is the priority embark which is the ONLY perk I got with Carnival in the grand suite I booked twice with them (the best available on the two ships I have sailed). So even tho I would love those other perks, its not a deal breaker for me with the JR sute.[/QUOTE]

1. The Junior Suites are beautiful on the Jewel.

2. RC is very efficient at check-in and boarding. I do not think that you will miss "VIP embarkation".

Archived