BREAKAWAY - Peter Max design revealed!!!

tokidoki

:eek:

Why would someone who "loves" the SoL CHOP HER DAMN HEAD OFF? And why is she zombie green?

Crikey. Let me check the calendar - nope: It's NOT April Fools Day. Shoot.

That is one FUGLY hull design, kids. And this comes from someone who respects Peter Max - or, you know, used to. The proportions/balance are ALL wrong. The weight of the design (the sun) is in a weird position. There's no flow, no obvious story to be told. It's a slapdash of some concepts, but ... yeah, none of them work together. I love the concept of hull art (my fave is still the sweet little NCL Sky) but this? Awful. Horrible.

My first thought when I saw this was, "Why does Lady Liberty look so pissed off?" Then, I realized, "I'd be pissed off too - if someone cut off my head and plastered the image of my festering corpse face on a cruise ship."

Perhaps it's not-so-subtle political art...?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, NCL - kill this design! I LOVE the potential of what PM could bring to the ship - but this? It's half-a$$ed at best. It looks like bad Max-inspired clip art that was thrown together without care by a first-year design student. I HATE THIS - and I really hope to see something with a bit more ELEGANT when I board her next April for the TA. PLEASE! This lovely ship deserves a much better design. PLEASE.

I agree Mike. Some hull art is fine but this looks like a mural on a garage wall in the Bronx rather than a new state of the art ship.

Now I can say the only thing worse than its name is its hull art.

The floating head of the statue of liberty is the worst :(

This.

Truly awful.

But, the topic at hand is the hull art. If you want to talk about what is inside why not start a different thread on that topic?

John

:confused: Yes I was referring to the hull art and saying it did not matter. I think the inside is more important than the outside so why start a new thread

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. And I like Peter Max art.

I certainly hope NCL did not give him free rein and can work it a little.

John

Your post almost made me spit my coffee all over my keyboard. Yes it's pretty ugly, looks like a classroom project where all the kids got to paint something different. I'm hoping the higher ups at NCL change their minds, there are some really nice hull designs on their ships but this is not one of them.

I understand this is very Peter Max and while I do like his work and style, this is not good. I usually love NCL's hullart too, this is by far the worst one so far.

Everything is just random, seems like he just gathered a few of his past work and plastered them on the hull. There is no cohesiveness about the entire thing...

The skyline by itself is cool, the planets are neat (though the pure red sun is a bit too much) and the Liberty head is signature Peter Max, but when it's all just randomly tacked on it just doesn't work.

NCL had supposedly commissioned 2 different designed by Peter Max, I wonder what the other one looks like.

A random mish-mash sums it up. It's kinda like a kid had a bunch of stickers and plastered the fridge with them. Paying a guy to guy to come up with this seems rather pointless.

I'm not a fan of Peter Max and I can see how both fans and non-fans of his will be disappointed. He's used a less vibrant color palette and conservative brush strokes. I wonder if he was influenced to do so by NCL. The hull art is a poor in comparison to his previous work.

max2.pngmax1.png

I'm not a fan of Peter Max and I can see how both fans and non-fans of his will be disappointed. He's used a less vibrant color palette and conservative brush strokes. I wonder if he was influenced to do so by NCL. The hull art is a poor in comparison to his previous work.

With the 'simple' outlines and conservative brush strokes it will be a lot easier to keep the art painted when it needs re-painting. Bigger areas with clean lines will be easier for them to replicate rather than the more 'mixed' colors in your examples above.

Well, I'm afraid this is all just one big Kevin Sheehan ego thing. He named the ship after his summer house and now he's picked his favorite artist to tart up a lady who deserved a much lighter touch. As I said before, just a little too much blue eye shadow.

What is it with executives today that there's no one to tell them "enough!" when they make idiotic decisions? I notice the NCL press release goes on at length about what a prominent artist Peter Max is, even though most folks haven't heard of him or care about who he is. (But I assume Sheehan is a big fan.) This is an emperor-has-no-clothes situation where someone really needed to say no.

Well, I'm afraid this is all just one big Kevin Sheehan ego thing. He named the ship after his summer house and now he's picked his favorite artist to tart up a lady who deserved a much lighter touch. As I said before, just a little too much blue eye shadow.

What is it with executives today that there's no one to tell them "enough!" when they make idiotic decisions? I notice the NCL press release goes on at length about what a prominent artist Peter Max is, even though most folks haven't heard of him or care about who he is. (But I assume Sheehan is a big fan.) This is an emperor-has-no-clothes situation where someone really needed to say no.

Well then.

I'll say it.

No.

You make a good point. The art auctions on NCL are Peter Max puke. I have had college history classes on art and I just laugh at the art shows on NCL. Now the funny art shows have painted the ship.

NCL will take some heat and pay the price for this one.

Archived