QM2 Queens vs Princess Grill Suite: Realistically what's the difference?

room010

On my last crossing in QG (2011) there was a woman at our table who ordered caviar at every dinner. When she finally asked me why I never requested any, I replied that I couldn't stand the stuff. She then admitted it wasn't real caviar and asked the Maitre d' Osman, who confirmed that it was "plain roe." I told our table-mate that I had once sampled Beluga caviar on the QE2 at least 30 years ago and she almost swooned. In fariness to Cunard, it is my understanding that Beluga isn't readily available.

Is it possible that this cheap substitute to the real thing is acceptable? Is it of reasonable quality like some Champagne substitutes? - and I mean Cava not Pol Acker.

On my last crossing in QG (2011) there was a woman at our table who ordered caviar at every dinner. When she finally asked me why I never requested any, I replied that I couldn't stand the stuff. She then admitted it wasn't real caviar and asked the Maitre d' Osman, who confirmed that it was "plain roe." I told our table-mate that I had once sampled Beluga caviar on the QE2 at least 30 years ago and she almost swooned. In fariness to Cunard, it is my understanding that Beluga isn't readily available.

Is it possible that this cheap substitute to the real thing is acceptable? Is it of reasonable quality like some Champagne substitutes? - and I mean Cava not Pol Acker.

It is a cheaper type of sturgeon(Hackleback), but still Caviar just the same. At least they're not serving that Lumpfish type of garbage!

So much for White Star Service, refusing caviar to QG guests.

That, I think was an rare incident. Some of the staff needs better training, even in the Grills. I think a lot has to do with the mgt. staff, who probably instruct them to go the "cheap" route.

Thank you, but I had to laugh when I read this. It's not often you see this sentiment expressed on here. :)

I haven't sailed in either grill class (but hope to try Princess Grill soon), so my only input is to suggest you search YouTube for a video of the Queens Grill on the QM2. I know I've seen one and it will give you an idea of what is available at that level (although I know there are different levels of Queens Grill rooms and I think the video I saw was of the highest level); there may also be a video giving a tour of other Queens Grill levels and of a Princess Grill room.

KeithM,

Imo they shouldn't allow an untrained staff member within 100 feet of the Queen's Grill. This is no place for on the job training.

And it is true that on QE2 in QG they served Beluga. I even saw the refrigerated safe in the head chef's office where they kept it.

KeithM,

Imo they shouldn't allow an untrained staff member within 100 feet of the Queen's Grill. This is no place for on the job training.

And it is true that on QE2 in QG they served Beluga. I even saw the refrigerated safe in the head chef's office where they kept it.

I would hope not as well.On our 2010 Queens Grill trip,everything was outstanding. We had moved from 9002 to 9009, because I was concerned about noise from Commodore Club. Actually it would never have been a problem. That being said, our butler,Lily asked what could she do to make our trip that much better. I asked if she could include Caviar in the daily Canapes. We got a 10" plate every day with blinis topped with Caviar. True not the best, but still not bad. We were seated near this couple who got our original 9002 stateroom. They were refused the Caviar by their butler. I told them to pay a visit to the purser's desk. The Caviar started the next day. Even in the grills the staff isn't always aware of their responsibility to their guests. Being in the hospitality industry(catering)we know what it takes, and it's not always easy, by any means. I've also seen quite a few pax that I'd not mind helping over the rail, either. Some just treat the staff like they're subhuman & I don't mind putting such pax in their place when they show that type of behavior.

People think wealth = class. Wrong! It's how you conduct yourself with other people including and especially "the help". Some of the most boorish, rude and arrogant behaviour I have ever seen has been directed towards the crew on cruise ships and on no occasion was it even faintly necessary or appropriate. Actually, I think it boils down to plain old ignorance. When in doubt, SHOUT.

I suppose it does come down to a personal opinion. If a person did think the above was worth $10k (or more) than they should definitely be booking Queens Grill. I am keen to find out what the unpublished extras are. It would be great if someone could publish them on here, it would be interesting to see (purely from our individual perspectives) if they, in addition to the above, were worth $10k.

The differences in the add ons like Champagne, mini bar stocked with booze and soft drinks as much as you consume, butler etc can never be the deciding factor as they cannot add up to the difference. Yes, you get earlier on the disembarkation and embarkation etc - but with self disembarck if you want to be off early you can...You tend to get slightly more OBC is there is a deal going, yes on the QE and QV have amazing views from the dining room as right up top with floor to wall windows versus Britannia. etc. but they are all marginal deciding factors....

The real difference is if you want to spend on getting the extra space and possibly separate bath and shower in your cabin, and what is viewed as better locations on the ship. That has to be the deciding factor.

It is lovely and feels special to be in QG, for example but that is not really what you are paying for as the service and food across Britannia, Princess and Queens is great. The staff move across all of them.

PS: we have travelled QG a few times and I still don't really get the butler thing. I always assumed as we never really have used them properly....

The differences in the add ons like Champagne, mini bar stocked with booze and soft drinks as much as you consume, butler etc can never be the deciding factor as they cannot add up to the difference. Yes, you get earlier on the disembarkation and embarkation etc - but with self disembarck if you want to be off early you can...You tend to get slightly more OBC is there is a deal going, yes on the QE and QV have amazing views from the dining room as right up top with floor to wall windows versus Britannia. etc. but they are all marginal deciding factors....

As we're comparing Princess Grill with Queens Grill, it should be noted that Princess Grill passengers board at exactly the same time as Queens Grill, there is no difference with regards to embarkation. In terms of disembarkation, Princess Grill disembark after Queens Grill and the Diamond WC peeps, so not a huge time difference.

As the Princess Grill restaurants are on the other side of the ship, in the exact same spot as Queens Grill, for all three Cunard ships, there really is no difference when it comes to the location of the Queens & Princess Grill restaurants.

The real difference is if you want to spend on getting the extra space and possibly separate bath and shower in your cabin, and what is viewed as better locations on the ship. That has to be the deciding factor.

I agree, I think the size difference between Princess Grill and Queens Grill staterooms is the biggest difference between the two grades.

I'm not sure about QE & QV, but decks 9 (Queens Grill) and decks 10 (Princess Grill) on QM2 are exactly the same. I don't see how a stateroom one deck lower, but in the same location, would be considered better. In fact, with the garish orange lifeboats in full view from deck 9, it may be the case that deck 10 offers a more relaxing view - unless one is a big fan of orange.

It is lovely and feels special to be in QG, for example but that is not really what you are paying for as the service and food across Britannia, Princess and Queens is great. The staff move across all of them.

Have you done PG? Give it a whirl if you haven't, they do a pretty good job in "special" department too.

I'm considering giving QG a go. If I do go QG, my first question to the butler will be "tell me about the unpublished extras" :D

PS: we have travelled QG a few times and I still don't really get the butler thing. I always assumed as we never really have used them properly....

I'm sure I wouldn't know either. I suppose I will see them at the start of the voyage and then never again.

my last voyage on QM2 qas in QG and i'll be Princess Grill in a few weeks. Except for Lily, all my QG butlers were creepy and I found them more of an annoyance than helpful. The restaurants are the same and the food comes form the sam grill kitchen. Also the staff rotate between the two so I am assuming there is not too much of a difference. As for Caviar, i'll just buy it if I want it....

For cabins, for me, solo, I actually like the PG cabin, broad expanse of window and it looks cozier than the QG cabin

• 9 months later...

Just read this thread and what leaps out at me is the fact that the different types of cabin are selling out and if folks want to go on this cruise then decisions need to be made sooner, rather than later.

How can anyone justify a specific type of cabin once we go above an inside berth? It is all about what we want, what we can afford and what we feel most comfortable in.

Bottom line to me is go with what you want and have no regrets

Regarding the deposit... If this is a big concern, is there any type of insurance you could take out? A number of us booked this cruise in 2012 and had to place a deposit, I believe this is par for the course.

Enjoy life while you can and try to have none of these 'If only' type regrets.

My advice would be to book a Princess guaranty, and hope for an upgrade, especially as a solo. You won't be spending that much time in your cabin to make the extra cost for QG worth it. There seems to be some difference of opinion regarding the caviar situation in PG. I was in PG on the QV in 2008 and the QE in 2011. In both instances I was told that there would be a charge for caviar, around $55 in 2008, when they were serving Sevruga. It was on the printed menu free of charge once during an 7 day crossing. I think the situation was the same in 2011, although by then, they were billing it Mallasol. One other great item on the PG a la carte menu is the Dover Sole. Back in '08, that was only on the QG a la carte menu.

We don't do room service, but I'm told butler will actually set a table, not just bring a tray. The canapes brought nightly are 5 tiny bits of pate, smoked salmon, cheese spread, and the like. Our butler last month on QV was courteous, just doesn't add much to the experience. On other lines, they iron for you and shine shoes. We didn't ask. He seemed to help clean our room, which kept their time in the room short.

QG is lovely for the extra size room and balcony. But since they share lounge, sundeck, and kitchen, not much difference after that. Having a dedicated concierge in the grills lounge is a terrific benefit, no long lines at the pursers or tour office, can make reservations, print out your bill, etc.

And caviar was never on the menu in QG that I recall during our June 2013 sailing. I suppose one could ask, but didn't.

This has been a really interesting thread.

Someone from Cunard marketing should be paying attention as the majority view (all be it over a very small sample of guests) is the PG is better value as you get the same quality and service (unless you feel the need for a slightly larger cabin)

I must admit that I have always enjoyed PG and only booked QG for the next cruise as the price was right and I was curious to see what was different. It appears that what I will get extra is

Larger suite

Butler (had before on other lines and mixed "value" depending on the individual)

Complimentary bar

Wider choice of menu (perhaps)

On that basis Pg is defiantly a sensible choice however I will reserve judgment until I have tried QG.

For the sake of balance is no one who can sell the benefits of QG. What are the little extra touches? Cunard marketing - any comments?

There are loads of unpublished QG flourishes that will become apparent to you with experience. We have been travelling since QE2 days, and so got to know the ins and outs by speaking to people who had done multiple world voyages in the QG. The problem with a forum such as this is as soon as they become "published", everyone will be asking for them and they will disappear. Common sense will tell you that no one would voluntarily pay thousands extra if the benefits in reality were very close to those of the PG.

Having said that, I will say that the differences between PG and QG are more marked on the Vista class ships than on the QM2. The major differences on the QM2 are the butler/bar/cabin- which may in themselves be reasons to choose the QG (if you can afford it), but these are all published QG benefits. On the QV or QE there is a lot more leeway to enhance your experience.

To sum up- the PG is a truly fine product. It is the "business class" of sea travel- and as with air travel, many people are more than happy with it. Having said that, there is a market for those who want a more luxurious experience- hence the explosion of First Class suites/fine dining/other extras offered in the air by the likes of Emirates, Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines. Everybody lands at the same time, eats onboard and is served a meal- but First and Business are hardly the same experience, IMHO.

I hope this helps, and happy sailing whichever class of travel you choose.

My advice would be to book a Princess guaranty, and hope for an upgrade, especially as a solo. You won't be spending that much time in your cabin to make the extra cost for QG worth it. There seems to be some difference of opinion regarding the caviar situation in PG. I was in PG on the QV in 2008 and the QE in 2011. In both instances I was told that there would be a charge for caviar, around $55 in 2008, when they were serving Sevruga. It was on the printed menu free of charge once during an 7 day crossing. I think the situation was the same in 2011, although by then, they were billing it Mallasol. One other great item on the PG a la carte menu is the Dover Sole. Back in '08, that was only on the QG a la carte menu.

We requested the Dover Sole in P-Grill back in '09. Never had a problem. That year I think was the last time Caviar(Sevruga)was offered at least once per voyage in Princess Grill. Now you get "Hackleback" Sturgeon Caviar in Queens Grill. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. Even Europa only offers Sevruga once a voyage, but their farm raised Caviar is quite good.

There are loads of unpublished QG flourishes that will become apparent to you with experience. We have been travelling since QE2 days, and so got to know the ins and outs by speaking to people who had done multiple world voyages in the QG. The problem with a forum such as this is as soon as they become "published", everyone will be asking for them and they will disappear. Common sense will tell you that no one would voluntarily pay thousands extra if the benefits in reality were very close to those of the PG.

Having said that, I will say that the differences between PG and QG are more marked on the Vista class ships than on the QM2. The major differences on the QM2 are the butler/bar/cabin- which may in themselves be reasons to choose the QG (if you can afford it), but these are all published QG benefits. On the QV or QE there is a lot more leeway to enhance your experience.

To sum up- the PG is a truly fine product. It is the "business class" of sea travel- and as with air travel, many people are more than happy with it. Having said that, there is a market for those who want a more luxurious experience- hence the explosion of First Class suites/fine dining/other extras offered in the air by the likes of Emirates, Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines. Everybody lands at the same time, eats onboard and is served a meal- but First and Business are hardly the same experience, IMHO.

I hope this helps, and happy sailing whichever class of travel you choose.

My husband and I have done multiple sailings in Queens Grill on both the QE2 and QM2. However, if there are "unpublished QG flourishes" I am unaware of them. I would also be quite upset to have sailed in QG (and paid for that level) and not have been told about any additional benefits. In fact, it makes no sense to me that there would be "unpublished" benefits to QG. Why would they be unpublished? Wouldn't it make more sense to Cunard to publish them and thereby give people more incentive to book QG?

My husband and I have done multiple sailings in Queens Grill on both the QE2 and QM2. However, if there are "unpublished QG flourishes" I am unaware of them. I would also be quite upset to have sailed in QG (and paid for that level) and not have been told about any additional benefits. In fact, it makes no sense to me that there would be "unpublished" benefits to QG. Why would they be unpublished? Wouldn't it make more sense to Cunard to publish them and thereby give people more incentive to book QG?

I wouldn't say there are 'unpublished' extras - just extras that are available but that many don't use. For example, I think a lot of these lie with the butler - I rarely ask the butler to do a lot when I travel QG but could do a lot more... yet when you look at the published literature you just see 'you will have a butler'.

Ask your butler what they will do for you and you are likely to get different answers depending upon who you ask - and that to me is a bit too hazy, there can be too much leeway - I've known some people who have made a request of their butler to be told 'No problem' whilst an identical request to another butler is met with a 'No way' - is this the first being overly helpful or the second being unhelpful? I don't know the answer to that.

FWIW the original question was about what you get for the extra money compared to PG and for me I'd say about 80% is about the cabin - I'm a cabin person so it is important to me. If you're not concerned about what sort of cabin you have then I don't think QG would be worth it - yes, there are some nice touches that go with QG (as have been pointed out) but not enough to justify the price difference

The unpublished extras are offered to repeat passengers who have good rapport with the crew and are frequently offered at that crew member's own instigation because they actually like you and want you to return again. So of course these extras are not going to become standard offerings or published in the brochures. Further, they are more of special, one-off arrangements particular to the passenger concerned, such as keeping records of his or her likes or dislikes, forwarding them to other Cunard ships in the fleet to ensure corresponding crew are aware of these things before they board on the next voyage, to smooth their way etc.

The unpublished extras are offered to repeat passengers who have good rapport with the crew and are frequently offered at that crew member's own instigation because they actually like you and want you to return again. So of course these extras are not going to become standard offerings or published in the brochures. Further, they are more of special, one-off arrangements particular to the passenger concerned, such as keeping records of his or her likes or dislikes, forwarding them to other Cunard ships in the fleet to ensure corresponding crew are aware of these things before they board on the next voyage, to smooth their way etc.

Thanks. I guess this is your way of saying that I am not likeable enough to get extra QG benefits. Still not sure this makes me feel good about Cunard or about paying the extra cost of a QG suite compared to others in the same level suite.

I guess this is your way of saying that I am not likeable enough to get extra QG benefits.

Despite being quite breathtakingly lovable, I wasn't deemed sufficiently likeable even to get into QG.

Neither is Mr Cruachan, but he doesn't know it yet.

Sir Martin

Despite being quite breathtakingly lovable, I wasn't deemed sufficiently likeable even to get into QG.

Neither is Mr Cruachan, but he doesn't know it yet.

Sir Martin

Sir Martin, I am sure you are breathtakingly lovely. All cats are. If you really want to experience the delights of QG, hop into your crate and ask your amanuensis to deliver yourself to Southampton Docks on 10 January where all will be revealed.

as I have written , the "push " is working by Cunard to sail 1st class ,Queen and 2nd Princess class, not 3rd. class(Britannia).

The class system was not popular as cruising went . The France had the largest and the best Tourist Class and the smallest First Class .

The class system on Cunard is not a class system of the past. It is a dinning

experience.

The Queen Elizabeth has the largest ,best situated Queen & Princess grill.

I really believe that Britannia is the dinning experience I prefer