1st Time Cruiser Here

Mzmamaz82

My boyfriend and I both are going on on our 1st cruise and this will be my first time out of the US. We set sail Oct 4 from Port Canveral to the Bahamas (Nassau and Half Moon Cay) aboard Carnival Ecstacy! I am very excited and nervous as I have no idea how I should/shouldnt pack. We are just looking for some tips and suggestions to get the most out our cruise experince both in port and on the ship!!!

For everything you want to know about Carnival, the Carnival board is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

To learn about the Bahamas, here is that board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

and for Half Moon Cay, the Private Islands board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=406

As to clothes, it will be warm and humid, so for day time wear, plan accordingly. For night time, check the Carnival board for dress code discussions.

Agreed with above. There is a lot of great info on here. Just some tips in my opinion.

1) wife always brings a light sweater, dining room, show room and some interior areas can get chilly with air conditioning. Just something for her shoulders.

2) look at all your packing and cut it in half. We used to overpack and then you realize you just don't use it all. I wear the same khaki pants with a different polo shirt to dinner and the change to shorts afterwards.

3) pack some kind of tote or beach bag. It helps to go on and off the ship if you do beach or water excursions. That way your not carrying a purse too.

It will still be quite hot in your ports....summer wear is what you should pack. A guidebook is what you should read before you get there! And, the cruise brochure...all you need to know will be in your cruiseline's brochure! If you don't have one, ask them to send you one...no charge!

My biggest advice I give anyone planning their first cruise is to be in your embarkation city at least the day/night before your cruise. That way, you're there, you can relax, you can do a little shopping for anything you had left behind at a local store (rather than spending too much on a toothbrush, that you forgot to pack, in the ship's store).

I would also go to the Carnival website and look through the FAQs.

We were on that ship back in 2002 but on a Baja cruise.

One thing I didn't know when on my first cruise, I can get on early enough to have lunch.

You can have lunch on your first day. You will be directed to the buffet when you board. BUT your cabin may not be ready until after lunch. Have a great time and don't forget your passports.

~Doris~

Welcome to CruiseCritic.

I strongly advise that you fly (or drive down) to Port Canveral a day early. It will give you time to rest up before getting on to the ship.

Remember in New Jersey you may be leaving andd returning to cool weather -- so a jacket is needed.

Once you get away from the port -- it will be warm.

After you pack - remove 1/2 of everything you packed -- you don't need a ton of clothes.

Have a great cruise.

My boyfriend and I both are going on on our 1st cruise and this will be my first time out of the US. We set sail Oct 4 from Port Canveral to the Bahamas (Nassau and Half Moon Cay) aboard Carnival Ecstacy! I am very excited and nervous as I have no idea how I should/shouldnt pack. We are just looking for some tips and suggestions to get the most out our cruise experince both in port and on the ship!!!

A few suggestions that I hope will be helpful to you: Try to arrive in Orlando the night before the cruise. An unexpected weather delay can cause you to miss going getting to the ship. 2nd, do some shopping on line for a shuttle to the ship and from the ship to the airport. Its about 45 minutes to an hour as the port is 50 miles east of Orlando but there are some good, reliable shuttle services that are much less expensive than using the one provided by Carnival. Nassau has 2 decent beaches in Cable Beach and Cabbage Beach/Paradise Beach. You can take a taxi to Cable Beach but the #10 bus goes to and from Cable Beach for $2.25 per person each way. If you go to the other beach, simply walk off the ship and into the visitors area & grab a $6 water taxi ticket over to Atlantis. You can walk to the beach there by following the signs. Half Moon Cay is a tender port but its one big beach and you can use your sign and sail card for drinks & food is provided. You will have 2 "formal" nights that require being dressed up but the rest of the time its dress casual. Most days you will be in swim suits, tees or shorts. Make sure you check out the ice carving they do at the main pool and the always funny hairiest chest contest. They usually also offer a mid week deck party if its a 7 day cruise. Check out the free comedy shows or other shows they offer as those are good deals since they are about an 1-1.5 hours. If you want a great dining experience book a reservation at the Supper Club. Its a private dining room and is an extra charge but the food is usually fabulous and its usually very quiet and a great place for a romantic dinner. Enjoy your trip!

I hope a few of these tips help

All very good tips. Just to echo the arrival one day before you sail; there is a much higher level of relaxation when you come in the day before and can wake as late as you wish compared to the anxiety making connections and facing potential delays while rushing to fet to the cruise. Also, If you are a pool or beach person, consider packing at least two swim suits. They don't dry so fast on board so with a second suit you don't have to try and slip on a cold wet one.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

I'm sure you'll be hooked. Next time you might try a 9 or 10 day Explorer of the Seas from Bayonne, New Jersey (or any of the NJ or New York or Baltimore cruises). I think it is so much easier when you drive to the port. You don't have to worry about overweight suitcases and paying luggage fees. I've been on the Ecstasy 4 times. It is a nice ship. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived