Does formal attire mean LONG dress?

kms8066

I wear Black travelers pants with different dressy tops for each formal night. I love the comfort of the travelers line, but they are heavy, so I'm looking for a new brand that has the comfort with less weight. I take one dressy shoe, which is a flat shoe with a little "bling" on the toe. (It's the only part of the shoe that shows!)

DH wears a charcoal jacket and nice shirt and tie. We usually travel in Europe, so carrying big heavy luggage is not fun, especially in Venice! :rolleyes:

I, too love the traveler's line but agree it is heavy. We travel to Europe a lot so I discovered Eileen Fisher pants. Very nice, can be dressed up and are light.

I was reading the Patter that someone posted, and it said "formal" attire means floor-length dress -- is that true? or do many ladies wear cocktail-length (very nice) dresses?

Are you sure the Patters you were looking at didn't list various options besides a "floor-length dress"? Even the Princess website gives a range.

We don't always fly to our embarkation port, but even then, I tend to go with cocktail length (or even shorter as my legs are my best feature) dresses. Easily to put in my hubby's garment bag; else, I would have to ease the extra length into the bag.

Being a seamstress, shortening/repairing things for people, I would wear the dress as is first and then decide, do not rush into shortening a nice dress. I have refused before knowing shortening would ruin the lines/concept of the dress.

I enjoy reading all these comments, interesting, sensible discussion with everyone being respectful of various opinions. I remember when things started to evolve to a more casual situation, sometimes it was on the ugly side.

I'm just under a year out but I tried on my long black skirt (with slit) and my new sparkly gold top, looks like a one piece! I love putting outfits together to wear for dinner, but I do want the packing part to be easier. One thing I need is slacks that are a tan or beigey color in a nice fabric, silky black is easy to find. I might have to sew not like I don't have time!

Over the years I have collected several chiffon tops with sparkles in the fabric. One has black jet accents sewn on it. Another is a chiffon print with mandarin collared top and black "frog" closures down the front. Another is a jersey blue-green-black print with a black lace and jet inlay down the front.

I wear these with a very sheer black chiffon "swing" jacket (long and no buttons) over them, and wear either black pants or a ankle length black lined chiffon skirt.

All of these clothes probably weigh less that 5 lbs, and roll up into a medium size packing cube because of the fabrics.

Even when we sail out of Los Angeles next year and have no airline weight restrictions, I still think I'm going to take these clothes instead of my two floor length dresses, or heavier and dressier tops. It's just so simple to have these mix 'n match chiffon outfits to wear.

I have seen many variations of "formal" for women with none of them inappropriate. Except maybe the lady with the rather snug fitting red pants outfit with a big gold ribbon around her neck tied in a bow.

We ladies have much more latitude in dressing up than the men. Dressy black pants with a sparkly top and fancy sandals and we are good to go. Also seen on formal night were dresses you could wear to church. Again, everyone looked just fine.

Travel weight restrictions have put such a limit on what we can bring. I found a great silk 3 piece outfit which weighs next to nothing that I always bring on Caribbean cruises.

Don't worry about this. Whatever you wear will be fabulous.

Sue

I've worn wide-legged black pants with sparkly tops, short dresses, and long gowns. There were always people wearing all of the above and I never felt like I stuck out in any of the above.

I ran into a guy in the elevator who got sent to put a jacket on over his formal t-shirt and formal jeans. Aside from a guy wearing shorts on a casual night, those were the only two instances I've seen of someone being turned away from the dining room.

When I shop for cruisewear, I always look for lightweight fabrics that pack easily, so I don't have to compromise. On formal nights, I always wear full length gowns and DH is in a tux...and for the second formal night, he is usually in his white dinner jacket, ala Cary Grant or Humphrey Bogart in "Casablanca." Men in tuxedoes are so sexy. :p Oh, don't get me started... LOL

I have seen many variations of "formal" for women with none of them inappropriate. Except maybe the lady with the rather snug fitting red pants outfit with a big gold ribbon around her neck tied in a bow.

Sue

I once saw a young woman in skin tight jeans on formal night. She looked really uncomfortable.

I tend to do a long and a short dress. I love to dress up and rarely have occasion, other than church. When I go dress shopping, I look for dresses that will fit into both church and cruise settings. I figure I can't go wrong that way.

Another menswear question...

Can a man wear dress slacks and tie without a jacket?

:confused:

A dress shirt and slacks are acceptable in the MDR on formal nights on the Princess ships I have sailed. You don't need a tie unless you want to wear one.

I was told this by waitstaff and the gentleman at the door of the restaurant.

Ever since I started crusing (less than 10 years ago) every time I am in a department store (or discount department store) my mind is on cruise ware. I find the most amazing bargins. Now if you talked to my shopping mates they would tell you 10 year ago I could care less about clothes. But now I buy everything I see on clearance that could possibly be worn on a cruise. But at really really bargin prices. I have dresses that cost from .49 (yes 49 cents - never worn at Ross) to $13.00. Don't even get me started on shoes and bathing suits. I own more pairs of never worn shoes now than I did in my entire life. BUT there is a purpose to this. And I know it's crazy. My dream is to open a thirft type store near the port. On one shopping trip a a year or so ago I bought 6 pairs of shoes and spent less than $20.. I have the picture to prove it..

shoes.jpg

Some day.. When I don't have to work for a living I'm going to take this "treasure hunting" hobby and make other cruiser's lives easier. Everything you need pier side! I've already purchased my domain name for this pipe dream!

Another menswear question...

Can a man wear dress slacks and tie without a jacket?

:confused:

I've been leaving the jacket home for the past 10 years or so & replacing it with a long sleeve dress shirt & no tie and haven't had any problem since. It makes packing a whole lot easier. ;)

When the Formal Attires are the desire. Try to obtain American Made quality wear.

Women all over the world look fabulous and take our breath away when dressed well formally!;)

CHOICES and MORE CHOICES:

If baggage costs too much in those Air Tube Baggage Fees, which Airlines Made over Seven Billion in Profits on them in a.d. 2011,

Princess Cruise Lines does do Shipping to the Ships at a much lowered cost.

UPS does too.etc.etc..

Ship Rentals are available with measuring at a local location.

Remember it is your KODAK MOMENTS to have!:cool:

[quote name='rcacace']I've been leaving the jacket home for the past 10 years or so & replacing it with a long sleeve dress shirt & no tie and haven't had any problem since. It makes packing a whole lot easier. ;)[/QUOTE]

Perfect, thank you! I think he'll do the long sleeve dress shirt and no tie!:D

Archived