Rental car in Florida that provides shuttle to port

ComeSailWithME

I KNOW, I KNOW, this should go in the FLorida board.. but it is DEAD and I know there are people here who have used rental cars in Florida. So, please ignore the improper placement of this thread because I need HELP!

I am stumped on which rental car company to use in Florida.

We fly into FLL the morning of our cruise, arriving at 9:20 am. We plan to rent a car from the airport, drive to Miami.. stopping at Walmart along the way, and returning the car to a spot in Miami (probably just MIA). I need the rental car place to provide a guaranteed shuttle to the cruise port.

I will also need them to pick us up after, where we can rent the car again and return it FLL.

We are traveling with a 1 year old and renting a car to avoid traveling with a car seat, so I cannot just jump in a cab.

I am finding a lot of conflicting information and can't risk booking something with a supposed shuttle only for it to not show up.

Thanks! :D

All of the major car rental companies will shuttle you from the MIA airport to the cruise terminal. Enterprise is the only one I'm not sure about. We have rented from Thrifty, Avis, and National in Miami. If you decide you don't want to rent a car just because of the car seat, I would suggest a transportation company such as Super Shuttle. You can set it up with them to rent a private ride where you wouldn't be rushed like you would in a cab. If you're doing a private ride, they will also stop at Walmart or wherever to get those items you couldn't take on a plane with you. Have a great cruise!

All of the major car rental companies will shuttle you from the MIA airport to the cruise terminal. Enterprise is the only one I'm not sure about. We have rented from Thrifty, Avis, and National in Miami. If you decide you don't want to rent a car just because of the car seat, I would suggest a transportation company such as Super Shuttle. You can set it up with them to rent a private ride where you wouldn't be rushed like you would in a cab. If you're doing a private ride, they will also stop at Walmart or wherever to get those items you couldn't take on a plane with you. Have a great cruise!

I am not sure about this.. I originally booked with Budget, only to find out they do NOT provide a shuttle. I have also heard the Hertz shuttle is unreliable.

I got this in response from AVIS:

Thank you for contacting us through the Avis Website.

I am sorry, we no longer offer shuttle service at the Port of Miami. You would have to

find your own transportation to and from our rental counter.

I also emailed another rental company at MIA (can't remember what one it was) and they also do not offer a shuttle to POM. I would assume that this is no longer available from any of the rental companies.

I have a car rental reservation with National and they also do not provide a shuttle to the cruise terminal. We will rent the car in FLL and have it for 3 days, but when we return it in Miami we will have to take a taxi to the cruise terminal. Have you considered the Carnival shuttle? I'm assuming the Walmart stop is to get soda. Maybe there is somewhere near the cruise port that one of you could walk to and buy the soda or whatever else you need.

I have a car rental reservation with National and they also do not provide a shuttle to the cruise terminal. We will rent the car in FLL and have it for 3 days, but when we return it in Miami we will have to take a taxi to the cruise terminal. Have you considered the Carnival shuttle? I'm assuming the Walmart stop is to get soda. Maybe there is somewhere near the cruise port that one of you could walk to and buy the soda or whatever else you need.

Really? UGH!

It is not for soda. We are traveling with a 1 year old so we want to stop at Walmart for diapers, wipes, snacks and water for him.

Thrifty, Dollar and Alamo all have shuttles from MIA to the port. When you drop your car off at Miami, you go to the top floor of the rental car center. As you walk out the doors, make a right, walk about 10 yards, and the shuttles will be there.

For what its worth, the last time we went to the shuttle, the Alamo driver asked to see our car rental receipt, however, I saw other people get on the shuttle that were not asked to produce a receipt.

Dollar and Thrifty for sure, (have recently used as of June 28th).

you must return rental to the new car rental terminal at MIA.

Have 2 confirmed rentals to and from POM for next months cruise:D

Do I need to call and tell them I will be using the shuttle to POM? Or is it okay to book online?

Do you know if they will also pick you up from the port to take you back to the terminal?

The problem is the car seat. I would suggest using a car service, making sure that they have a car seat with them. That way, you can be assured they will be waiting for you upon return.

If you'd just check a car seat with the airlines, things would be much simpler at both ends of your cruise. You could go the rental car route.

The problem is the car seat. I would suggest using a car service, making sure that they have a car seat with them. That way, you can be assured they will be waiting for you upon return.

If you'd just check a car seat with the airlines, things would be much simpler at both ends of your cruise. You could go the rental car route.

That was our first option.. until they told me that they cannot guarantee a car seat even if we reserved it.

I do not feel comfortable with a $300 car seat with thrown onto a luggage line. You are not supposed to use a car seat if it has even been in a fender bender and once it is in a bag to be checked through an airline, there is no telling how poorly they may manhandle it.

If all else fails, I can always send me husband to go get the car and then pick us up.. but I think that dollar or thrifty may work. Just waiting to hear back from them.

That was our first option.. until they told me that they cannot guarantee a car seat even if we reserved it.

I do not feel comfortable with a $300 car seat with thrown onto a luggage line. You are not supposed to use a car seat if it has even been in a fender bender and once it is in a bag to be checked through an airline, there is no telling how poorly they may manhandle it.

If all else fails, I can always send me husband to go get the car and then pick us up.. but I think that dollar or thrifty may work. Just waiting to hear back from them.

did you read my posts? You can rent from Hertz (get a free car seat if AAA member) and drop off 5 mins from the Port. They will take you, and if you rent from them on your way back to FLL they will pick up

did you read my posts? You can rent from Hertz (get a free car seat if AAA member) and drop off 5 mins from the Port. They will take you, and if you rent from them on your way back to FLL they will pick up

Yes. I am not a AAA member. Is the shuttle available for any Hertz customer (or only AAA members?)

And what kind of vehicle do they pick you up in?

Yes. I am not a AAA member. Is the shuttle available for any Hertz customer (or only AAA members?)

And what kind of vehicle do they pick you up in?

yes the shuttle is available to any customer of theirs...We get the car seat as AAA/CAA members. Just ask for the ride to POM when you drop off. When you come back just call the rental agency and ask for a shuttle. They circle around the Port and the Hertz shuttle is a typical Van type vehicle. When they drop you off they will give you a pick point.

You an always pay a small fee and have them set aside a car seat for you. I think it's something like $25.

If you book Hertz, just make sure you have the Downtown location as it is closest to the Port..I would call them directly just to make sure 100% they will shuttle for free. Unless things have changed they will..

yes the shuttle is available to any customer of theirs...We get the car seat as AAA/CAA members. Just ask for the ride to POM when you drop off. When you come back just call the rental agency and ask for a shuttle. They circle around the Port and the Hertz shuttle is a typical Van type vehicle. When they drop you off they will give you a pick point.

You an always pay a small fee and have them set aside a car seat for you. I think it's something like $25.

If you book Hertz, just make sure you have the Downtown location as it is closest to the Port..I would call them directly just to make sure 100% they will shuttle for free. Unless things have changed they will..

Thanks, I will give them a call because I thought I saw somewhere that Hertz no longer does shuttles.

sure hope they do, we have them booked for our Breeze cruise!!

I just found this on their site:

Rental Services Provided By :

Miami, 229 Southeast 2nd Street HLE

The Hertz Shuttle Bus to be transported to the servicing location is available to customers arriving by cruise ship. The shuttle runs every half hour.

I just found this on their site:

Rental Services Provided By :

Miami, 229 Southeast 2nd Street HLE

The Hertz Shuttle Bus to be transported to the servicing location is available to customers arriving by cruise ship. The shuttle runs every half hour.

sounds good saves us a phone call..if you can get a descent rate they are ideal for you leaving out of POM. And yes, that is the right location. The office is small but they move people quickly.

I don't want to travel with my expensive car seats either, so I bought a Cosco Scenera car seat for $40 from Walmart.com. I plan to use it for air travel and to just have an extra seat around. It has great safety reviews and for $40 is a good deal.

Archived