Collecting Holland America Line ceramic tiles

schylger

I remember that about a year ago there were a number of threads going on this subject. Being in the process of trying to complete my collection, I thought it was time to start one again. I have found that between the Mariner tiles, the World Voyage tiles, the special Voyage tiles, the Customer Relations tiles and the "other" tiles there are about 180+ in total. I miss about 40 and am really interested in connecting with other HAL cruise enthusiasts that want to trade or otherwise help me complete what I have. I have most of it documented in a 70+ page book and am happy to share it with anyone who is willing to help fill in the gaps on the tiles I don't have yet. You can reach me at tiemen@halpostcards.com. Happy collecting !!

We have a few of the other than usual tiles.......

Millenium New Years

Some 6" tiles commemorating various milestones/events.

Inaugural tiles

I don't know what you are looking for.

I imagine you have tried e bay.

Edited by sail7seas

@Krazy cruisers: I have some contacts inside the HAL on board the ships and they keep their eyes open. That leads sometimes to getting the tile(s) for my collection, sometimes I just get the picture (which I am also happy with of course).

I wonder how you determined that in the history of HAL, there are only 180 tiles. I would have thought far more.

Re: the 180+ tiles total: You are correct, the number maybe about 20-30 tiles low as I discounted the special voyage tiles in my accounting..... Looking at my own collection and seeing what I still need. The Mariner tiles number about 135 total, the Inaugural are about 10, then there are the World Voyage tiles, these number about 40+ and then the special voyage which I guess around 15. I did not add in the 3 tiles from the 1980s (with tri-wave logo on the back) and the special occasions (between 5-10)so that adds up to about 210-220. I could be off on the special voyage tiles too. Good catch, thanks for making me do the math - unfortunately it now increases the number of tiles I am still looking for to 60+... :-(

On our last cruise we received "Mariner" tiles which had no appeal to us at all. The whole tile thing seems overdone and we just left ours on the dresser.

We did note that the porcelain is much thinner these days.:D

Smooth sailing...

If you are referring to the poster tiles of the last 4 years, I agree, they are far less appealing than the "old" type that made you think more of the delft blue tiles that are so representative of Holland in the 18-th century and have that nostalgic feeling about them.

I think it a wonderful project you are doing and wish you the very best completing your collection.

I would happily share with you if there was a special tile I had that you were seeking but seeing we've not done World Cruise, I doubt other than perhaps a missing Inaugural tile, that I would have any you do not.

I'm not giving up mine from my own cruises, but I have been given some by a former traveler who was ready to part with her. I have quite a few duplicate and would be more than willing to share.

I'll have to look through them, but if you can give us an idea of what you need it would help.

I thought there was a page on the HAL website that listed the various tiles. I'll check that out when I am done on CC.

There is, it lists the mariner tiles until 2010. It misses a couple of tiles (in in the 125years 1998 and one of the 2005/2006 season). You can find it at: http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action# - click on "tiles" on the left.

Kind regards

T

Why not tell us what you need? If some can help and/or trade they might do so - without knowing your gaps - it's hard for us to help:confused:;)

I am putting my collection on the web and will post the address here when I am done this weekend. It will contain images of all tiles I have.

Thank you

Tiemen

I've purchased from replacements.com as well. They've been in business for years and are very reputable in my experience, however, their prices can run a bit high. IF you really want an item and can find it there, it may be worth the price in order to get what you want.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update..... Well, I found out that there are actually tiles made as far back as 1900. These very old ones depict ships and are made by Plateelbakkerij Zuid Holland. Current estimate is that there are maybe 10 different ones. Then in the 1960-s there were issues with the text "compliments of the Holland America Line" on the back and though the exact numbers are not known, one collector in the Netherlands informed me that there may be as many as 50 or more of those. So that brings the total to collect now closer to 300. See also my updates after this weekend on www.halpostcards.com/tiles. Thanks for all the feedback and the tiles you have traded with me, I REALLY appreciate it !!

I remember that about a year ago there were a number of threads going on this subject. Being in the process of trying to complete my collection, I thought it was time to start one again. I have found that between the Mariner tiles, the World Voyage tiles, the special Voyage tiles, the Customer Relations tiles and the "other" tiles there are about 180+ in total. I miss about 40 and am really interested in connecting with other HAL cruise enthusiasts that want to trade or otherwise help me complete what I have. I have most of it documented in a 70+ page book and am happy to share it with anyone who is willing to help fill in the gaps on the tiles I don't have yet. You can reach me at tiemen@halpostcards.com. Happy collecting !!

He needs most of the latest tiles (the Stephen Card ones). I'm sure some of us have some. I sent him one of our Maasdam tiles:D the collection is beautiful and worth a look at. His page book clearly identifies the ones he is looking for in case anyone wants to help:D

I just saw 3 or 4 the other day for (I think) .75 cents each. I know there were two different ones for the Massdam (sp) and one each of two others. I'll be happy to go and purchase them and for what I have in them, plus postage I'll send them to you. That is, if they are still there.

These probably aren't what you want, but if they are I'd be happy to mail them all to you. And next year I'm doing VoyageOfTheVikings and also the 42-day rt FLL TA.

Westerdam 1996...Caribbean

Zaandam 2000 ..... "

Noordam 2003 ..... "

Amsterdam 2004 .. South America

Zuiderdam 2006 ... Alaska

Veendam 2007 .... Caribbean

Ryndam 2007...Sea of Cortez

Veendam 2008 .... Caribbean

2008 MAASDAM Montreal to FLL ..........10 days

2009 MAASDAM FLL to Montreal ....... 15 days

Edited by silvercruiser
I want to delete cruise history