Yellow fever vaccine?

iluvsunandsand

Hi everyone,

we are so excited to be going on our first cruise(Carnival Victory-Southern Caribbean) in the next few weeks.

But just got an email from Carnival re: Yellow fever certificate specifically for entry into Barbados? has anyone else received this email?

I'm just waiting to hear back from Carnival to clarify if we need this vaccine because the memo that was emailed to me was a little unclear and our internet agency that we book our cruise with seemed certain that we needed this vaccine prior to embarkation.

By the way, we are from Canada which is not one of the countries "at risk" for yellow fever and we have not travelled anywhere where there is a risk

We have been to Barbados and this was not a requirement. It may have been a particularly intense mosquito season and there may have been health concerns. You can always check the US Government's CDC website for guidance or I am sure that there is a Canadian equivalent. I have included the link below. Regardless, I would be well protected with insect repellant containing DEET. Yellow fever is just one of the many diseases endemic to the area.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/yellow-fever-and-malaria-information-by-country/barbados.htm

Yes, check the CDC website for required vaccines. As stated sometimes a breakout occurs in specific regions, and the vaccination may be for sites off the beaten path, etc. I got a yellow fever vaccine when I was going to the Philippines. I thought that most of my time would be spent in Metro Manila, but I did venture out to the countryside and other provinces (and glad I did) to see some wonderful sites, people and food.

thank you for the replies.

I just re-read the Carnival link that I was emailed and it said that travellers are required to get the vaccine IF they have certain travel history to certain parts or Africa and SOuth America or if they have been in transit>12 hours in the airport of one of the high risk countires. I also went on the CDC and specifically checked the Barbados and St. Kitt's entry requirements and they confirmed this criteria.

So we don't have to get the vaccine bc we don't fit any of the criteria.

Here is the link to the CDC site which is great, you can just click on the country and they provide entry requirements/recommnedations ie. vaccines. Also they report on disease outbreaks etc

http://www.cdc.gov/

• 2 years later...