Beer in Spain

celie1110

Can anyone recommend a beer in Spain that would be comparable to Coors Light? While in Barcelona I would like to try a Spanish Beer but I don't like heavy or bitter beers.

TIA

Water? :D

Sorry, I'm a beer snob.

The only beer I tried in Barcelona was this, Estrella Damm, which appears to be a locally-favored mass market beer, as evidenced by their endorsement of the football team's cheerleaders. ;) It was a drinkable, malty (not bitter-hoppy) lager, like maybe a Miller(?--guess I'm out of practice with mass-market American beers). Don't know if it comes in a "Light", but it might...

Here's a few reviews...you can tell from the comments who likes mass market lagers and who doesn't... ;-)

A bit off topic but you can even order beer at McDonalds..not sure what kind it was but DH said it wasn't bad..Maybe it was McBeer :D

Really??? McBeer lol

Water? :D

Sorry, I'm a beer snob.

The only beer I tried in Barcelona was this, Estrella Damm, which appears to be a locally-favored mass market beer, as evidenced by their endorsement of the football team's cheerleaders. ;) It was a drinkable, malty (not bitter-hoppy) lager, like maybe a Miller(?--guess I'm out of practice with mass-market American beers). Don't know if it comes in a "Light", but it might...

Here's a few reviews...you can tell from the comments who likes mass market lagers and who doesn't... ;-)

This doesn't sound too bad. As long as its not bitter my DH and I may try it. Thank you

You can always ask to taste their lightest beer to see if you like it.Make a freind with the bartender!!!

That is actually a good idea. It's always good to make friends with the bartender:D

Thank you all

Most regions of Spain produce their own beer. They are lager type beers, like a Budweiser. My other half isn't too keen on that type of beer, but does like Cruzcampo, which is made in Seville, but will be available in Barcelona.

In addition to Spanish beers most other European brews are available, including Guiness.

In addition to Spanish beers most other European brews are available, including Guiness.

I'm no expert, but a brew that you have to eat with a knife & fork probably won't be quite like Coors Light :D

Ask for a cerveza - that translates to draught beer from the tap, not a bottle. Local & cheap. And probably as weak as Coors :p

"Un cafe con leche y una cerveza, por favor" was the first sentance I learned in spanish. Didn't learn it at school.:rolleyes:

JB :)

VMAX

I was going to say una Cana, but don't know how to put the tilde on the 'n'. I would never ask for a 'tubo' although I know the expression. I am often in Seville where they don't use that epression.

Anyway, at the end of the day just asking for a 'cerveza' will be sufficient as the waiter will ask if they want bottled or draught.

I'm no expert, but a brew that you have to eat with a knife & fork probably won't be quite like Coors Light :D

Ask for a cerveza - that translates to draught beer from the tap, not a bottle. Local & cheap. And probably as weak as Coors :p

"Un cafe con leche y una cerveza, por favor" was the first sentance I learned in spanish. Didn't learn it at school.:rolleyes:

JB :)

draught beer is called "caña". "cerveza" is beer, which obviously a caña is ,but can also come in a bottle.

Sometimes these threads get very over complicated - from beer to complex Spanish verbs is one easy step! :D

Estrella will be everywhere in draft and bottle; in Spanish it is known as "Estrella" :D. They will also probably have some bottle brands that you recognize, and often have something like Carling on draft too.

Dont stress, just say "ola", "por favor", and "muchos gracias" (spelt how they are pronounced before anyone corrects me!). People will appreciate the effort, but don't expect everyone to be fluent. Oh and I think "bier/beer" is an international language! :D

VMAX

I was going to say una Cana, but don't know how to put the tilde on the 'n'. I would never ask for a 'tubo' although I know the expression. I am often in Seville where they don't use that epression.

Anyway, at the end of the day just asking for a 'cerveza' will be sufficient as the waiter will ask if they want bottled or draught.

use the 'ALT' key and type numerals 164 - it gives you ñ

They do not make faux beers like "Coors Light" in Europe since they prefer real beer...not the watered down light stuff. That being said, you can find some of the light American beers in bars since they have enjoyed some fans in Europe. Bud Light is quite common and you might even find Coors Light in a few bars that have imported beers. We were once surprised to see bottles of Rolling Rock in an English Pub so anything is possible.

Hank

As indicated above, a "caña" is draft beer.

Mahou is probably the most common mass market beer equivalent to a Bud.

Spain has a non-alcoholic beer that people who drink "light" beers sometimes enjoy. It's called "Laiker". That is the brand -- you can also order "cerveza sin".

If the idea behind liking light beer is to reduce the alcohol and have the beer taste less bitter, you can order "una clara". This is draft beer mixed with lemon juice. It's very popular, especially in summer, and is considered very refreshing and hydrating.

Have a great time.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

San Miguel is my favorite Spanish beer too. It's not bitter, dark or too strong.

ROFL. All the reasons why I do not like the Spanish San Miguel (the Phillipino San Miguel is a personal favorite). I love beer that tastes like real beer which, to me, means dark, a bit hoppy (bitter) and strong. At a local bar some of the beer lovers call light beer "sissy beer" but its hard to fight the huge trend towards light beers.

Hank

ROFL. All the reasons why I do not like the Spanish San Miguel (the Phillipino San Miguel is a personal favorite). I love beer that tastes like real beer which, to me, means dark, a bit hoppy (bitter) and strong. At a local bar some of the beer lovers call light beer "sissy beer" but its hard to fight the huge trend towards light beers.

Hank

I don't drink bitter or dark beers and I like Estrella Damm and San Miguel. They are local Spanish beers.

If you go to the Estrella Damm website for Spain, http://www.damm.es, there is a great comparison of all of their beer brands, and a description of what they taste like.

By the way, "local" is very relative in a globalized world, since this same company happens to own and make Budweiser (at least the version of Budweiser sold in Spain).

Mahou-San Miguel also has many beers, including the brand Carlsberg. Under the Mahou brand, there is a beer named "Mahou Premium Light" which may be of interest to the original poster.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

If you go to the Estrella Damm website for Spain, http://www.damm.es, there is a great comparison of all of their beer brands, and a description of what they taste like.

By the way, "local" is very relative in a globalized world, since this same company happens to own and make Budweiser (at least the version of Budweiser sold in Spain).

Mahou-San Miguel also has many beers, including the brand Carlsberg. Under the Mahou brand, there is a beer named "Mahou Premium Light" which may be of interest to the original poster.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

This website is great! Thank you!

• 1 month later...
I don't drink bitter or dark beers and I like Estrella Damm and San Miguel. They are local Spanish beers.

I like them both. They remind me of the summer after high school graduation.

We had two shopping carts filled with empty Estrella and San Miguel bottles on our blacony before we traded them in on the last day of our vacation. Back then, Estrella Damm was considered better, but San Miguel was cheaper, so we switched to San Miguel as the vacation budget got smaller. :D

Archived