Is Portofino Worth it?

Gosh, Robin, maybe you should just be happy with what your Mom wants to do. After all, she is taking you on a nice cruise. Sometimes parents feel: No matter what we do for our children ,,,, it's not enough!

:o Just a thought .... LuLu

Wow... that was not called for.

First of all I am asking about this because I thought it would be a nice treat.

Second of all I was planning on picking up the tab but I didn't know I could because the reservation is in HER name since she booked the cruise

Third my dad passed away just short of a month ago... so we ended up making changing in our reservation and went from 2 cabin to one.

Forth my family (whole family) received some money from my grandmother when she died in 2011. Instead of spending it on "stuff" for us my mother and father collectively decided to do a family cruise.

Not that it is any of your business but I thought you might want to know the whole story.

Before reading through the posts, I had guessed that most would be very positive to Portofinos. To differ, I'm going to say no way.

Recently tried Portofinos for the 2nd time (on Voyager) because I thought maybe my first experience was unusual. No big complaints, just didn't see a quantum jump from MDR for either the food or service. And, BTW, my worst steak ever on a cruise was in Chops.

I think I have a decent concept of food quality, and sorry, just didn't do it for me.

I have been a member of this board for a while and I often see snippy remarks made by other posters. It is very upsetting to read such rude and uncalled for comments on a board who's whole purpose of existing is to HELP people with cruise vacation. I am seriously almost in tears right now (yeah maybe I DO take it personal... why shouldn't i?) because of two not-so-nice comments. *SMH*

I am NOT however going to let this keep me away from the boards because it is up to the majority of nice people to make this a good/positive place for new members and other nice people.

Robin,

Just go and have a good time. I like the suggestion about calling and letting the cruise line pull up the reservation to enable you to prepay the dinner. Sorry some of the comments hurt your feelings, but it sometimes happens on these forums. I think it's sweet you want to treat your mom to something she would not want to buy herself. After all, isn't that what a gift should be?:)

Kudos Robin for thinking how to make this cruise special for your mother especially since all of your hearts must be broken. You’re a very thoughtful daughter! I sincerely hope/wish you have a wonderful cruise with many happy smiles and precious memories.

We think Portofino's is definately worth the extra $20 per person. In fact, we give an extra tip as well. The food, service and atmosphere are better then the MDR. It's a more intimate dining experience. I would treat your Mom to it one night. On the Radiance class ships, Portofino's and Chops are on the 6th deck off of the Schooner Bar.

We will be sorry to see Portofino's replaced by Giovanni's Table on the ships as they are renovated! Love, the Portofino tiramisu in a chocolate shell!

The food is wonderful at Portofino -- the shrimp risotto was amazing. But for us, our server was so overbearing and "chatty" that it really affected the quality of the whole experience.

Very willing to give it another try though next April.

My DH was the same way at first about paying for specialty dinng. The first cruise that we had one dinner prebooked and he enjoyed it so much that we went a secone time later in the week. Now we always go at least 2 nights a cruise! As they used to say " Try it... you'll like it!" Have a wonderful cruise!

Dinner in Portofino is one of the things we look forward to when cruising. Food is fabulous and the service amazing.

Why don't you treat your Mom and make sure the wait staff knows to present the check to you at the end of the meal. If she asks, you can say you are adding an extra tip for the great service.

Another first time cruiser here and you have just triggered a question. I had assumed (I know the adage lol) that the $20pp surcharge was added to your on-board account. Your response suggests that you need to pay this separately. If that is the case can you use plastic to pay or must it be in dollars?

Another first time cruiser here and you have just triggered a question. I had assumed (I know the adage lol) that the $20pp surcharge was added to your on-board account. Your response suggests that you need to pay this separately. If that is the case can you use plastic to pay or must it be in dollars?

The meal is charged to your onboard account. They give you a check to sign and confirm that you want it charged to your specific account. There's also a space for you to give an extra gratuity if you want to do that. Just like eating at a hotel you're staying in, you get a receipt and charge it to your room. ;)

The meal is charged to your onboard account. They give you a check to sign and confirm that you want it charged to your specific account. There's also a space for you to give an extra gratuity if you want to do that. Just like eating at a hotel you're staying in, you get a receipt and charge it to your room. ;)

Ok - thank you for the clarification.

I have been a member of this board for a while and I often see snippy remarks made by other posters. It is very upsetting to read such rude and uncalled for comments on a board who's whole purpose of existing is to HELP people with cruise vacation. I am seriously almost in tears right now (yeah maybe I DO take it personal... why shouldn't i?) because of two not-so-nice comments. *SMH*

I am NOT however going to let this keep me away from the boards because it is up to the majority of nice people to make this a good/positive place for new members and other nice people.

Robin, just remember that on this and other boards, you have all different types of people. Don't let it get to you. As for is it worth it, that is just someone's perception. Remember that 1 persons perception is their reality. As for DW and I, we prefer Chops, but I am more of a meat and potato type guy, and don't care for many pastas.

Hi Robin!

Congratulations on your December cruise! :)

My short answer is YES....book it...everyone will enjoy and the extra expense is worth it....i.e.; food, service and atmosphere are fantastic!

Now for my extended answer. You are going on the cruise to spend time with your family and create memories. The extra expense is something you are taking on from out of your pocket. The suggestion of it being a gift for your mom is a great idea.

If you book it and I hope that you do, I believe your mother will be grateful, receptive and appreciative for you trying to enhance her cruise/vacation experience.

I too was surprised at some of the posted comments to your thread. Too bad there is not a way to go in and delete them or I would. :p The moral majority of those that have responded have encouraged you to go with your heart ~ I agree. Book and enjoy the experience! I'm sure your mom will be impressed.

On a personal note, my sympathy regarding the loss of your father. May the experience of your December cruise create special memories for all of you! :)

my mom is cheap... No you don't understand she uses coupons for everything and when you buy something the first thing she asks is, "how much was that?" i wish i could be like her sometimes... I'm a spender :o. We are going on the jewel in december for christmas and i really want to try portofino but mom might balk at the upcharge seeing we have "free" food in the dining room.

dont miss portofino , you will love it . I have been on 40 cruises and always save one night for chops and portofino. Enjoy

Hi Robin, Please do not read or take to heart the negative comments from some silly people on this board who do not have a life and like to upset people.

I went to portofinos with my italian friend who said that it was some of the best food he has had. When you eat there try a few desserts. They are awesome.. call rccl and give the date of your cruise and they will find it. Prepay it and tell mom its a gift from you.

We were not particulary impressed with Portofinos on AOS back in 2008, but it sounds like others have had a good experience. Perhaps it was because we had a larger group, but I wouldn't have thought serving a table of 8 would represent that great of a challenge. For us, one or two dishes were outstanding, but most were no better than what we were getting in the MDR (especially the entrees), but things may have changed in the intervening years. It's probably more a reflection on the MDR than Portofinos. We're on AOS in Jan. 2013 and will not bother with Portofinos, but if we book Allure for later that year, I expect we'll go for Giovanni's again.

Archived