Is Portofino Worth it?

My mom is cheap... no you don't understand she uses coupons for everything and when you buy something the first thing she asks is, "how much was that?" I wish I could be like her sometimes... I'm a spender :o. We are going on the Jewel in December for Christmas and I really want to try Portofino but mom might balk at the upcharge seeing we have "free" food in the dining room.

Just tell her she would never get a dinner on land for that price that was anywhere near that quality. Just last week, DH and I had dinner in a steak house I had a salad (very good) and a filet (just OK) with potato and water logged broccoli. DH had a similarly priced dinner. One drink each but no coffee or dessert. Bill was over $200 plus a 20% tip. Have never been disappointed with a Portofino meal. Wasn't crazy about the soup once but no big deal, just get something else. If you can't handle dessert they will gladly box it up for you to take.

My mom is cheap... no you don't understand she uses coupons for everything and when you buy something the first thing she asks is, "how much was that?" I wish I could be like her sometimes... I'm a spender :o. We are going on the Jewel in December for Christmas and I really want to try Portofino but mom might balk at the upcharge seeing we have "free" food in the dining room.

I am like your mom and I always like Portofino. So I would book it.

As for you: start saving some of your money!

Just tell her she would never get a dinner on land for that price that was anywhere near that quality. Just last week, DH and I had dinner in a steak house I had a salad (very good) and a filet (just OK) with potato and water logged broccoli. DH had a similarly priced dinner. One drink each but no coffee or dessert. Bill was over $200 plus a 20% tip. Have never been disappointed with a Portofino meal. Wasn't crazy about the soup once but no big deal, just get something else. If you can't handle dessert they will gladly box it up for you to take.

Great suggestion above! Appeal to your Mom's "value for the money" thing.

~~~~

You know your Mom best - what kinds of things will she say during the meal at Portofino? Out loud, for all to hear, at that... :o just thinking about your own comfort level. The food is wonderful (best filet of my life there!) but I would consider the company - no offense, but will she appreciate it? Or will she be "complaining" at every turn?

I echo the sentiment about you gifting her with a dinner out there; she will have spent nothing and hopefully she will enjoy the evening.

We will be on the JOS for X-Mas also. I won't be able to keep my mom out of Portifino's. We all love it. I will probably eat there twice over the holiday. Not sure what your status with RCI is, but check your coupon book when you get on the ship. We usually have a by one get one coupon that is good for the first night.

It's totally worth it to me. Why not treat her to it and prepay it through your Pre-Cruise planner online? Could be a Christmas present from you to her and you can relax and enjoy the experience.

I thought about that but mom booked the cruise... so I would have to know the conf #. I think my sister has it... I will have to check with her.

Mom wouldn't say anything. I know she would enjoy it but it is just the "before" I am concerned about and if it isn't "worth it" in her mind. Going to Applebees along costs about $15 out the door so in my mind it is worth it.

Thank you all... I think I will try to book it on a "sea" day.

We will be on the JOS for X-Mas also. I won't be able to keep my mom out of Portifino's. We all love it. I will probably eat there twice over the holiday. Not sure what your status with RCI is, but check your coupon book when you get on the ship. We usually have a by one get one coupon that is good for the first night.

Oh that is awesome... nice to meet you! :) I didn't know there was a coupon book. Mom would LOVE that. LOL This is our first cruise on RCI.

Dinner in Portofino is one of the things we look forward to when cruising. Food is fabulous and the service amazing.

Why don't you treat your Mom and make sure the wait staff knows to present the check to you at the end of the meal. If she asks, you can say you are adding an extra tip for the great service.

Oh that is awesome... nice to meet you! :) I didn't know there was a coupon book. Mom would LOVE that. LOL This is our first cruise on RCI.

Since this is your first RCI, you won't receive a coupon book. Make sure you register for the C&A society. Then after you complete your first cruise and if you cruise again, you will start receiving benefits.

Since this is your first RCI, you won't receive a coupon book. Make sure you register for the C&A society. Then after you complete your first cruise and if you cruise again, you will start receiving benefits.

We will cruise again! I know that. I am seriously addicted now. I KNOW RCI is going to spoil me (only cruises I have been on before were Carnival charter cruises which were great but NOTHING is going to be like this cruise)

You have to have quite a few cruises on RCI under your belt before a BOGO coupon for the specialty restaurants shows up in your coupon book. At least Diamond, if not Diamond Plus.

I'm Emerald, and I don't get one. My favorite cruise roommate is Diamond, and I don't think she got one last time around - IIRC, we had friends who were both D+, and they invited us to join them that first night since they each had a coupon.

worth is relative.

is it a better experience than the MDR? it can be. is it worth paying extra money for? only you can answer that.

If Mom balks, then she is free to not join you.. unless you are willing to pay for her as well. and if you do and she accepts she can't make any comments ..good or bad.. about the cost /worth ratio.

Perhaps it's a case of you don't miss what you've never had, but I have never eaten at any of the specialty restaurants and have never felt like I missed out. The food and atmosphere in the MDR are GREAT in my opinion. I'm sure it is even NICER and BETTER for an extra $25. For me, I'd rather put the $25 toward something I wouldn't be getting otherwise. (A bottle of wine, an excursion, a formal night photo.) Great food is already included in the cost of my cruise.

On Freedom in August, Portifino was $20 pp. In my opinion, a great deal. Also, understand they can do many dishes which are not on the menu. A particular pasta with a particular sauce is usually no problem, regardless of what is on the menu. Treat your Mom, if you can. For people who do "Fine Dining" often, it is nice. For people who do "Fine Dining" only once in a Blue Moon, it is a real treat! Have a great curise!

I thought about that but mom booked the cruise... so I would have to know the conf #. I think my sister has it... I will have to check with her.

Mom wouldn't say anything. I know she would enjoy it but it is just the "before" I am concerned about and if it isn't "worth it" in her mind. Going to Applebees along costs about $15 out the door so in my mind it is worth it.

Thank you all... I think I will try to book it on a "sea" day.

You don't need the confirm ## Just call RCL if you want to book it and they will be able to pull up your reservation for you. Good luck!!

Well if you are scared that your mom won't like the idea of paying extra for fine dining, then don't go. Simple as that.

Archived