GTY.....Good or Bad

spintowin

I had an E2 Guarantee booked on my last cruise (category X) and was placed in a D1 cabin whcih was fantastic for the price I paid. If the category is full they place you in a higher category, the minimum you'll get is the category you paid for but you could do much better.

If you book a suite GTY does that mean you can get "any" suite - even a loft suite???

Yes.

You could technically book an inside GTY and be assigned to a loft suite. The GTY you book is the lowest room possible, but the sky is the limit on the other end.

Upon room assignment, you can move your room assignment, as long as you stay in that CAT. I was issued an upgrade the other day and I didn't like the room placement - a simple email to my TA and viola, it was changed to a better room in the same CAT. (IMHO)

GTY feels like Christmas to me.... Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait! I bought a GTY yesterday for Friday's sailing of Monarch and I'm still awaiting the room assignment. :D

Lady_G

Keep in mind that there may be cabins available in a category that they are not showing, so just because you book a guarantee for that category does not mean you won't end up there. The rule for guarantees is very simple ... book with the lowest you can be happy with and be able to accept the absolute worst cabin in that category. You cannot depend on an upgrade, nor can you necessarily count on being able to move once you are assigned (heard that was starting to be phased out). 8 times out of 10 with a guarantee, I have gotten exactly the category for which I paid.

the best garentee cat is a grand suite gar because all the grand suites are mid ship and in the same location .just different floors i.e there isnt any bad cabins.we have a grand suite gar on allure 10/28 still dont have a cabin buy no worries any upgrade would be a good one!!

With any guarantee, you have to look at the ship layout and see if the least desirable cabin in that category would be acceptable to you. Then you have to hope that you will get more than you ever thoguht you would receive.

If you get the worst stateroom, hopefully there will be available cabins in that category and you can switch your booking to a better location.

Prices go up and down all the time. Rooms that were booked may become available. You just never know.

We always book guarantee....we don't see any point in paying more for the same room. We've always been able to change rooms after assignment and/or get upgraded to nicer rooms.

If a cruise is only showing guarantee staterooms (GTY), does that mean they are out of rooms for that category? How exactly do they come up with a cabin if they are sold out? Is it safe to assume the price will only increase?

That would be my understanding.

According to one of the posters who works on cruise ships for over 30 years ( I read many of his posts in different places on this board) many if not all of the cruise ship sell more cabins than they have because they know from practice that some number of people will not show up or cancel their cruise just few days before sailing.

If a cruise is only showing guarantee staterooms (GTY), does that mean they are out of rooms for that category?...
Probably not. When airlines have assigned approximately 80% of the seats on a particular flight they will still sell you the flight, but unless you are a preferred customer specific seats are held until check-in; generally there will be last-minute cancellations and no-shows and you can get a seat. Cruiselines are not precisely the same as it would be rare that you'd actually be bumped at the pier [not unusual to be bumped at the airport gate], but cruiselines use GTY to give them flexibility in selling passage in expectation of cancellations. If cancellations are lower than expected in your category, they will move you to a higher category [or move a frequent traveler to the higher category and give you their cabin]. The higher the category the less flexibility the cruiseline has in moving you around, which is why you will never see a GTY on a Presidential Suite. Close to sailing, if there are no cabins in your GTY or higher, the cruiseline will probably call and offer compensation to go on different cruise.

Thom

Archived