Solo at the Specialties...?

Bethwte

Hi all. As you can tell from the signature, I have never set foot on an NCL ship, so all of the freestyle cruising is new to me. I am thinking of taking the Dawn as a solo this October, and love the menus on a lot of the specialty restaurants. I am wondering though, is it difficult to get a reservation when you're dining for one? Also, how far in advance do you need to book them? Is the day/night of just completely out of the question?

I have also read a couple of things on the board about Chefs tables and dining with officers. Can anyone explain these to me a bit, and if they are okay with solos?

Thank you!

.... is it difficult to get a reservation when you're dining for one?

...I have also read a couple of things on the board about Chefs tables and dining with officers. Can anyone explain these to me a bit, and if they are okay with solos?

Should be no problem on all counts.

Chef's Table is gourmet dinner one-time with $75 surcharge; need to reserve quickly.

Dining with Officers- participants are chosen by Guest Host..you can request to be put on the "lottery list" at Guest Services.

I believe there are solo-cruisers meet-ups where you might find a suitable companion for some of the specialty dining, if you like.

Hi all. As you can tell from the signature, I have never set foot on an NCL ship, so all of the freestyle cruising is new to me. I am thinking of taking the Dawn as a solo this October, and love the menus on a lot of the specialty restaurants. I am wondering though, is it difficult to get a reservation when you're dining for one? Also, how far in advance do you need to book them? Is the day/night of just completely out of the question?

I have also read a couple of things on the board about Chefs tables and dining with officers. Can anyone explain these to me a bit, and if they are okay with solos?

Thank you!

You are most welcome to eat anywhere you want as a solo, including all specialty restaurants, officer dinner and chefs table.

The hardest restaurant to get a table at last minute is Teppenyaki. I would book well in advance there.

If you wait until the evening to make a reservation, you might not be able to dine at the time of your choice. There are boards all around the ship advising you of the different restaurants and how booked they are for that evening.

While I have had no problem getting a table for one in the specialty restaurants, you may also ask the host to find a congenial table to share with others. Most times in my experience, this has resulted in an enjoyable dinner.

Hi all. As you can tell from the signature, I have never set foot on an NCL ship, so all of the freestyle cruising is new to me. I am thinking of taking the Dawn as a solo this October, and love the menus on a lot of the specialty restaurants.

Thank you!

I Travel solo all the time so:

I am wondering though, is it difficult to get a reservation when you're dining for one?

No different than if you were a couple, Only larger parties have some difficulty.

Also, how far in advance do you need to book them? Is the day/night of just completely out of the question?

Depending on the time, many can be booked on the same day, also I have had the experience many times of Walk-In.

They only take 11. So get on boat early and run to desk. Solo is fine, I have read many posts from solos who did it, loved it and had friends for life. In fact The Chefs Table tends to be mostly couples, so the solo (10+1=11) is somewhat easier at times. They may even do this for the solo, I don't know. Best meal I ever had and the Galley tour was frabulous. Well worth the money.

Have a great cruise.:cool:

I booked a Solo Studio for my upcoming Epic cruise just so I could meet up with people for meals (if I choose). Wouldn't you know that I have met so many people on my roll call (many also in the solo studios) that finding dining companions will not be a problem (although I welcome meeting new people in the Studio Lounge).

I would check out the roll call for your cruise, if you haven't done so already. It's a great way of making friends ahead of time, arranging excursions, etc. Good luck!

Chef's Table is for twelve, you must get to reservations early on boarding to get a seat. Since every dining venue on the ship has tables for two, they have no problem seating you at one of those at any time. Walk ups are generally available at most of the specialty restaurants except Tepenyakki.

just wanted to add my two cents--i travel solo often, and i've found NCL's dining set up to be ideal for solo travelers. and yes, i've dined in specialty restaurants solo; i walked right up and got a table at le bistro last october.

have a great trip! if you have any other solo sailing questions, please do ask. i'm a huge fan of solo cruising.

While I have had no problem getting a table for one in the specialty restaurants, you may also ask the host to find a congenial table to share with others. Most times in my experience, this has resulted in an enjoyable dinner.

That's good to hear. I initially wanted to book a line that had fixed dining as I have always enjoyed that in the past when crusing with family, and I figured it would be good as a solo. However, the price/dates/itinerary of the NCL I booked combined to end up being too good to pass up.

FLAHAM, or anyone else who has tried this - what percentage of the time would you say that you were able to share a table with others in the specialties? I assume it would be easier in the dining room. My experience with specialty restaurants is on other lines where they are very much reservation-only and therefore I would assume one would have to sit solo. Also, are there certain venues that would be more or less easy to do the congenial table thing?

Because the specialties are by reservation, finding tablemates will be a little more difficult. Most, I think, are there with their own group and may not be as open to sharing with a stranger. There is a single mixer on every cruise that could help with finding a tablemate for your night out. The MDR would probably be best for finding table sharing.

Have fun!!!

Bethwte,

I travel with my mom and sometimes also with a group of relatives. Sometimes mom doesn't want/need dinner. Sometimes I dine ensuite, other times with friends and relatives.

We have made many friends in trivia. We play every chance we get. We make plans to have dinner with our team.

Also, you might want to go to your M&G and let people know you are looking for dinner companions. I'll bet you find some.

Bethwte,

I travel with my mom and sometimes also with a group of relatives. Sometimes mom doesn't want/need dinner. Sometimes I dine ensuite, other times with friends and relatives.

We have made many friends in trivia. We play every chance we get. We make plans to have dinner with our team.

Also, you might want to go to your M&G and let people know you are looking for dinner companions. I'll bet you find some.

Great suggestions - thanks. I love trivia, so hopefully I will be able to meet people there. Unfortunately my roll call is really dead, so not much luck there.

Great suggestions - thanks. I love trivia, so hopefully I will be able to meet people there. Unfortunately my roll call is really dead, so not much luck there.

You can always go talk to the Restaurant Manger Noel Chaves and ask his advise. He is a very nice man-from India. If you do, tell him that Mandy says hi.

Mandy

My last cruise on the Spirit, I went to Le Bistro. The couple at the next table and I struck up a conversation. Next thing I know, she and her husband are moving my table settings and I am joining them for dinner. An unexpected delight.

As I always say....smile and say hi!

Oh, Bethwte, I forgot about this. Last year on Carnival I signed yp for the Chef's Table solo. My mom

Doesn't drink much and eats like a bird so she didn't see value. So I went solo. It was great. You might consider it as well.

Archived