**Our London/Paris Honeymoon**PLEASE HELP!!

cluelyss18

Congratulations !

About London hotels : I agree with JB that Doubletree Westminster is not all that conveniently located, but I am awfully fond on Doubletree and I noticed last time I was down that there is one in Southampton Row, called the Doubletree West End, near the British Museum and also Russell Square, convenient for the tube. Russell Square is an area I always like to stay in, convenient for Kings Cross and also on the Piccadilly Line so easy and cheap to get in from Heathrow. It's also very good for the theatres and Covent Garden.

While we often stay in Premier Inns, and I am happy to recommend the one at Victoria, they are very much a budget chain and may not be ideal for a honeymoon.

Back in the day, before we retired, we stayed at Kingsway Hall a couple of times, this is a nice hotel located in Covent Garden, but it would be worth checking tripadvisor to make sure it was still good.

Have fun !

Wow...so happy to see this thread since I am re-thinking my cruise ILO of doing London/Paris by land :D Thank you everyone from me too for all of the great suggestions....

We did 4 days in Paris before a cruise in Southampton. The British Isles cruise was a letdown after Paris. There's nothing wrong with mixing in land vacations every so often.

My husband and myself are spending 5 days in Paris next year (late May) after a QM2 cruise round UK, and I am really enjoying reading all the suggestions for Paris (we've never been before).

Everyone is really enthusiastic about Versailles (as am I) but what is it like if it rains? I can see the benefit in booking tickets beforehand, but that would lock us into going, and if we strike 5 days of wet weather, the ticket presumably wouldn't be refundable.

Are we better off to 'play it by ear' and be spontaneous?!

Hi all!! These boards have been a God-send for all that is cruise planning over the years...so as this is my first 'non-cruise' trip in a few, I'm hoping I can still get some assistance!!!

Here goes..

Wedding day is May 25, 2013.

Hoping to book flights from BOS-London-Heathrow that will arrive at 7:30am Monday Morning. We will be staying in London from Monday until Friday May 31.

Thanks so much in advance:)

No-one else has mentioned it so I checked first, but you need to be aware that the Monday of your arrival is a public holiday - a 'bank holiday' in our parlance - so London will be busy on that day. That shouldn't affect hotels too much - the busy nights will have been the weekend nights - but as I say London will be busy that day. Everything will be open - they don't shut for holidays - but you can expect queues for everything to be long that day.

Also it's the case that that week - Monday 27 May to Friday 31 May - is very likely to be a school holiday, so again this means that visitor attractions in London e.g. the museums (esp. the Natural History, the Science and possibly the Victoria & Albert museums), the London Eye, Hampton Court, etc, etc, are likely to be quite busy that week.

Don't let that put you off, just be prepared for crowds. Shopping malls, for example, will be packed to the rafters....

No-one else has mentioned it so I checked first, but you need to be aware that the Monday of your arrival is a public holiday - a 'bank holiday' in our parlance - so London will be busy on that day. That shouldn't affect hotels too much - the busy nights will have been the weekend nights - but as I say London will be busy that day. Everything will be open - they don't shut for holidays - but you can expect queues for everything to be long that day.

Also it's the case that that week - Monday 27 May to Friday 31 May - is very likely to be a school holiday, so again this means that visitor attractions in London e.g. the museums (esp. the Natural History, the Science and possibly the Victoria & Albert museums), the London Eye, Hampton Court, etc, etc, are likely to be quite busy that week.

Don't let that put you off, just be prepared for crowds. Shopping malls, for example, will be packed to the rafters....

Well-spotted, Tom.:)

But my experience of bank-holidays in London is that the city is generally much quieter on a bank holiday.

A lot of Londoners will be heading for the coast/countryside for the weekend, so roads out of London will be busy on the friday & the saturday morning, & back into London late in the day monday - this affects the motorway network but not the streets of central London.

There'll be no commuter/business traffic on the monday, so central London's streets & public transport will be much quieter - like a sunday. Perhaps not so with the ho-hos.

This is a "British" holiday, not a european holiday.

Yes, because of the holiday expect more Brit visitors at the sights - but Brits are only a small proportion of the visitors. And being a school holiday, there'll not be the usual coachloads of Brit school parties visiting the museums, etc.

As Tom says, sights (& shops & pubs restaurants etc) will be open, but most of the more mundane businesses - banks, offices, govt departments, etc will be closed.

Train & bus operators in Britain normally run a less-frequent "sunday service" on bank-holidays though I don't know if it affects the Heathrow Express, Gatwick Express, tube or central London bus services.

JB :)

We did 4 days in Paris before a cruise in Southampton. The British Isles cruise was a letdown after Paris. There's nothing wrong with mixing in land vacations every so often.

Actually....I had been re-thinking the cruise and as I would read some of your comments, land was looking better and better. I will only have 2 weeks vacation and London/area (Liverpool especially) and Paris were 3/4 the reason for the trip.....soooooo....that's why my re-thinking :D I would love to throw a little Scotland in....my boyfriend asked me why Scotland? I said I wanted to see the Loch Ness Monster :eek: I don't think I convinced him that was a valid reason :rolleyes:....soooo.....thinking "next time" will be Ireland / Scotland :D At least today....who knows about tomorrow :o what do they say, "a woman's prerogative?" :rolleyes: Thinking about the extra freedom to just walk the cities without rushing to the ship is looking very nice....

Just a quick question as a follow up to the school holiday May 27-May 31, etc. issue. We will be arriving in London on Friday, May 31, 2012 and staying until Monday, June 3 and then transferring to Harwich to board the Celebrity Infinity. Is this weekend a holiday weekend? Is there anything special that we should know in our preparation? Will most restaurants be open? Thanks for the help.

Janice

My husband and myself are spending 5 days in Paris next year (late May) after a QM2 cruise round UK, and I am really enjoying reading all the suggestions for Paris (we've never been before).

Everyone is really enthusiastic about Versailles (as am I) but what is it like if it rains? I can see the benefit in booking tickets beforehand, but that would lock us into going, and if we strike 5 days of wet weather, the ticket presumably wouldn't be refundable.

When we were at Versailles last year it rained and we still walked the park. It was a magical experience, lovely, quiet and no crowds. It was a soft rain. I will admit we didn't do the entire park but what we did was wonderful. Take a small umbrella and enjoy. :):)

Just pace yourself with this itinerary. My sister and her husband, fit in their 40's, did the british isles cruise, got off in Le havre and went to paris for a couple of days.

The british isles cruise they took was port intensive and they were exhausted by the time they got to Paris.

They were there for only 2 days so had to cram a lot in. As a result, they really didn't enjoy Paris.

If you're scheduling activities for Paris, you might want to make your 1st day a little light so you can enjoy the rest....at least that is there advice.

Our first day in Paris (post cruise) we checked into our hotel, cleaned up a bit and then walked to the Eiffel Tower to look at it. Then we went to dinner at a nice restaurant near our hotel and took an evening stroller. That' s a good plan.

The next day we did the HOHO bus which gave us a nice overview. I would avoid eating at any of the restaurants along the Champs Elysee- terrible service and sub-par food. Ask at the you hotel for recommendations or eat at a little off the beaten track cafe for a snack. That night we returned to the Eiffel Tower and climbed to the first floor (but again- book the restaurant so you don't have to stand in line for the elevator). I actually felt proud of myself for climbing up instead of elevatoring though.

If you can do Versailles the 3rd day- I think you will be more than pleased with that excursion. It is only 20 minutes by train from central Paris. Easy to do and so much to see and enjoy there.

Actually....I had been re-thinking the cruise and as I would read some of your comments, land was looking better and better. I will only have 2 weeks vacation and London/area (Liverpool especially) and Paris were 3/4 the reason for the trip.....soooooo....that's why my re-thinking I would love to throw a little Scotland in....my boyfriend asked me why Scotland? I said I wanted to see the Loch Ness Monster I don't think I convinced him that was a valid reason ....soooo.....thinking "next time" will be Ireland / Scotland At least today....who knows about tomorrow what do they say, "a woman's prerogative?" Thinking about the extra freedom to just walk the cities without rushing to the ship is looking very nice....

Nothing wrong with a land trip. IMHO, you would see SO much more. I have been to both Paris & London many times but never from a cruise ... way too rushed for a history/art nut like me. Spent 8 weeks in the UK in 2010 ... still not enough time for me in these history rich areas ... others would probably go bonkers. For our port day in Le Havre next May, we plan on a DIY day in Rouen. It would be different if our cruise began or ended in Paris ... then we could spend some time there.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the cruising experience. For a first time visit, a port day gives you a nice taste of the city. You can always return on a land trip.

So, whichever method of travel works best for you and affords you the best possible vacation, GO FOR IT! :D

jill

Actually....I had been re-thinking the cruise and as I would read some of your comments, land was looking better and better. I will only have 2 weeks vacation and London/area (Liverpool especially) and Paris were 3/4 the reason for the trip.....soooooo....that's why my re-thinking :D I would love to throw a little Scotland in....my boyfriend asked me why Scotland? I said I wanted to see the Loch Ness Monster :eek: I don't think I convinced him that was a valid reason :rolleyes:....soooo.....thinking "next time" will be Ireland / Scotland :D At least today....who knows about tomorrow :o what do they say, "a woman's prerogative?" :rolleyes: Thinking about the extra freedom to just walk the cities without rushing to the ship is looking very nice....

I won't get into the all of the reasons to avoid Loch Ness. But there are cities in Europe that are much closer to London and Paris. Those include Amsterdam (a little over three hour high speed train ride from Paris) and Brussels/Bruges in Belgium, which are near Paris and Amsterdam. If I were to go back to any city in Scotland, it would be Edinburgh. I would also drive to Liverpool from London. I love the Beatles stuff and would try to catch a show at the Cavern Club. Our next land vacation to Europe will be either Amsterdam to Paris to London (4 days at each) or Amsterdam to Belgium to Paris. We really like going on cruises. But you miss out on so much nightlife and restaurants in great cities. You can also do more in less days with the land/train vacation since you really don't have days at sea and don't have to worry about getting from ports to the cities and back.

Hi,

The big four London galleries/museums - National Gallery, British Museum, Tate Modern and Tate Britain - are invariably noisy and full of coach loads of tourists of the if it's Tuesday it must be London variety. For honeymooners, may I suggest the Wallace Collection with its eighteenth-century French paintings by Watteau, Fragonard and Boucher, depicting the sensual pleasures, as being quieter and more suitable for those in love. Admission is free and there is a good restaurant beautifully located under a glass dome in the courtyard.

The Côte chain of restaurants offer a good price/quality ratio and pleasant ambience. I dined recently at their Covent Garden and St Martin's Lane branches and enjoyed both meals at a modest price for central London.

The best way of getting to see any city is by walking. In London, I like to take the tube to Tower Hill, cross over the river and then ramble slowly westwards along the south bank of the Thames for several hours soaking in the atmosphere of the great city. I take a break for lunch in the café of Tate Modern.

For lovers in Paris, I would recommend visiting the intimate Jacquemart-André Museum on the Boulevard Haussmann. It has the most beautiful dining room in Paris (the world?). As we ate our food and drank our wine, surrounded by great art on the walls and under a ceiling painted by Tiepolo, I said to my companion, 'life does not get any better than this'. Advance booking for the museum is highly advised to avoid queuing.

I prefer to view the Eiffel Tower from a distance as I find its immediate vicinity rather tacky with all the pestering to buy cheap replicas of the Tower. A restaurant I can recommend in the Eiffel Tower area is Chez Mariette on Rue Bosquet.

As I subscribe to the W.H. Davies philosophy of life,

'What is this life if, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare'

a favourite way of spending a leisurely few hours in Paris is to relax on a seat by the pond in the Luxembourg Gardens and watch the children playing with their boats.

Google will supply information on all the above. Enjoy your honeymoon.

Dermot

Two more things on Versailles and Paris.

First, with respect to Paris, the first thing we did was a nice long walking tour. We used Sightseekersdelight. Others here on CC have posted reviews on the Paris Along the Seine walking tour. It is 4 hours (5 hours including lunch) and hits every major attraction and sight in the city. They also provide a nice historical perspective on the French Revolution and Belle Epoque perioods of time. It helped us get our bearings down with respect to the rest of our time in Paris.

Second, with respect to Versailles, pre-purchasing ticket is a bad idea if you plan to also see the Louvre, Orsay, or other museums in Paris. Because Versailles admission is included in the Paris Museum Pass, you would be double paying for the same attraction and Versailles is the most expensive of the attractions included with the Paris Museum Pass. Most importantly, having the Pass allows you to skip all lines for purchasing of tickets and there are very long lines at the Louvre (Orsay and Orangerie are not as bad). I would advise to follow Rick Steves' plan for Versailles and catch the 8:07 am train or even the earlier one (round trip is 6,50 - pretty cheap) and even grab a good quick buffet breakfast at the Ibis Hotel across the street from the train station and on your walk to Versailles.

Just a quick question as a follow up to the school holiday May 27-May 31, etc. issue. We will be arriving in London on Friday, May 31, 2012 and staying until Monday, June 3 and then transferring to Harwich to board the Celebrity Infinity. Is this weekend a holiday weekend? Is there anything special that we should know in our preparation? Will most restaurants be open? Thanks for the help.

Janice

No, not a bank holiday according to my diary - there's usually one at the end of May, but that's May 27th as earlier in this thread.

Can't think of any major events that weekend either.

Should be plain-sailing. :)

JB :)

Archived