Tour to Ephesus

Pontius Navigator

The first time I toured Ephesus, there was a young man in a wheelchair. The tour starts at the top of the site, and runs downhill. The ground is rocky and uneven, but it can be done.

The man had a young man pushing the chair.

You might want to post the question under "Disabled Cruise Travel" which is under Special Interest Cruising

Is it possible to tour Ephesus in a wheelchair, any advise would be appreciated .

It would be extremely difficult to tour Ephesus in a wheelchair. It might be possible but it might take two strong people at some points to handle an individual seated in a chair. On the other hand, if you are able to walk a few paces with, say, a cane or crutches, while the chair is carried over some rocks or ruts, then it would be doable. This might be necessary several times.

Scott & Karen

I think a lot depends on the people in your group. On our Magnifica cruise last year we joined a wonderful excursion arranged by a member of our rollcall. His cousin was confined to a wheelchair, and I think everyone of us in the party as well as our guide lent a willing hand at some point. If the wheelchair is a manual one, someone will definitely have to be available to push it, as the ground is too uneven (in my opinion) for the person in the chair to manage themselves. I did see two other folks confined to wheelchairs and they too had others in their party helping them along. I don't recall seeing any mobility scooters.

While the ruts sometimes were a challenge they could be maneuvered around and where there were slight drops or a step or two, a couple of the men in the group (whoever was closest) simply lifted her chair over the obstruction. She wasn't able to go into the Terrace Houses with us because there are a lot of stairs, but instead toured a bit more around the main site with some of her family until we came out. She had a great time that day and made a point of letting us all know what a blast she was having!

The tour company was Ephesus Shuttle http://www.ephesusshuttle.com

and they seemed well used to guests with mobility issues and were extremely accommodating as well as reasonably priced. We enjoyed the day so much that this was the first excursion I booked when my friend and I decided on our upcoming Louis cruise that stops in Izmir.

Obviously though, this is just one experience. I will say though, that Epheseus was a highlight of our trip and I am really looking forward to seeing it again next month. If you think at all that you can manage it, go for it!

I too think that Ephesus was a highlight of our trip BUT it was hard enough for a still mobile and active me. I would explore the idea of coming in at the bottom of the site which was flatter and smoother. Sometimes in life it is better to go for a little than skip the whole thing. Perhaps a PRIVATE tour with car guide and driver (2 people to help with the chair and honestly arranged for this purpose) might make it possible. I hope you get to see this remarkable place. The trouble with these places is that they were built a few years before ADA regulations took effect. :)

Archived