Any reason to match Military rate??

Scrapenthusiast

Hello everyone! We are booked on the Pride in a 7A(obstructed balcony) cabin. We got a super low rate when we booked, and have been looking forward to checking out this type of cabin. I noticed the military rate for a guaranteed balcony is what we paid for our obstructed balcony. We did book early saver, and I'm wondering if there would be any reason we should match our ES to Military Guaranteed Balcony rate? I noticed in the terms we could still end up in an obstructed balcony cabin, but there's a chance we could end up in a better cabin too. Thoughts on if we should switch to Military Guaranteed balcony cabin???

Latisha

I will take a stab at it. Three questions for you- sorry if they are obvious answers:

Did you say military rate is the same as what you paid or lower?

Do you qualify for military rate?

If they tell you that you have to give up your cabin to get put in the guarrantee pool, is that a concern?

I would try for it. the worse that can happen is they say no.

If you have a set cabin now you would lose that to go into the guarantee pool. You could get the first three cabins which have a bigger obstruction then the rest of the category

Thank you both for your replies!!:)

The hubby is active duty military so we do qualify. The rate is the same as what we paid. I guess the only gamble is the cabin? I was just wondering if it would be worth it to risk the 7A we already have. I'm thinking we'll just hang tight for now and see if the price goes lower. I made sure that we had a cabin behind the first 3 larger lifeboats, so I'd be disappointed if that's where we ended up by going into the guaranteed pool.

Latisha

It is only for GTY status? I know I just matched my brother's sailing, and he was able to get a specific cabin (in fact moved FROM a GTY cabin to a spa cabin)

If it's GTY, I might not do it unless there is a really good price difference....but then again you have obstructed to begin with? Maybe worth the shot.

I don't even know if Carnival would allow that as a guarantee is a downgrade and right now there is no price difference if I am reading what you posted. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask, but I just don't see it happening.

I'd check whomever booked you to see if it's possible. Your PVP or hopefully your TA should be able to find out if you can even do it and if so, the form can then be submitted.

If cabin location doesn't matter to you, then I say go for it, if you want a particular cabin and the military rate is a gty, I would stay with what you have.

We were able to switch from early saver to military and pick our cabin for our next cruise. We were able to switch from a 7A (5236) to an aft (4230) on the Spirit and we still ended up with obc! :)

If cabin location doesn't matter to you, then I say go for it, if you want a particular cabin and the military rate is a gty, I would stay with what you have.

We were able to switch from early saver to military and pick our cabin for our next cruise. We were able to switch from a 7A (5236) to an aft (4230) on the Spirit and we still ended up with obc! :)

This is the scenario I'm hoping for! With all the price drops that have been happening, our rate hasn't dropped yet. I know I scored a great deal to begin with, and I'm okay with that....but a little free OBC would be nice. ;)

Hello everyone! We are booked on the Pride in a 7A(obstructed balcony) cabin. We got a super low rate when we booked, and have been looking forward to checking out this type of cabin. I noticed the military rate for a guaranteed balcony is what we paid for our obstructed balcony. We did book early saver, and I'm wondering if there would be any reason we should match our ES to Military Guaranteed Balcony rate?

Latisha

This is the scenario I'm hoping for! With all the price drops that have been happening, our rate hasn't dropped yet. I know I scored a great deal to begin with, and I'm okay with that....but a little free OBC would be nice. ;)

How can you get OBC if there is no price difference??

Plus the rules say you can only price match to YOUR category, but they have been allowing people to price match to the lower category BL balcony gtys.

If there is nothing to gain, not sure if I would do this, unless you dont care if you get a obstructed balcony all the way forward or aft or under a lounge if there are any bad locations for them. If the worst obstructed location is ok with you, then I guess ask them.. but there is no price matching.. if the price is the same, you dont get OBC for matching the same exact price.

What am I missing.

How can you get OBC if there is no price difference??

Plus the rules say you can only price match to YOUR category, but they have been allowing people to price match to the lower category BL balcony gtys.

If there is nothing to gain, not sure if I would do this, unless you dont care if you get a obstructed balcony all the way forward or aft or under a lounge if there are any bad locations for them. If the worst obstructed location is ok with you, then I guess ask them.. but there is no price matching.. if the price is the same, you dont get OBC for matching the same exact price.

What am I missing.

Firefly I think you are misunderstanding here. Of course there has to be a price drop in order to get OBC. I'm well aware of that. What the PP was saying is that they were able to go from a 7A to an aft with OBC due to a price drop. I said that would be awesome if that happened to me as well.

I was unaware that a guaranteed balcony cabin would be considered a downgrade from a 7A??? This is news to me. Since this category (7A) is sold out I was under the impression that a guaranteed balcony would be considered comparable. Thus giving me the ability to roll the dice in a price matching situation...and give up my 7A and go into the guaranateed balcony pool.

As I stated in my previous post...the only real benefit would be the gamble of possibly getting a better cabin than I already have.

Firefly I think you are misunderstanding here. Of course there has to be a price drop in order to get OBC. I'm well aware of that. What the PP was saying is that they were able to go from a 7A to an aft with OBC due to a price drop. I said that would be awesome if that happened to me as well.

I was unaware that a guaranteed balcony cabin would be considered a downgrade from a 7A??? This is news to me. Since this category (7A) is sold out I was under the impression that a guaranteed balcony would be considered comparable. Thus giving me the ability to roll the dice in a price matching situation...and give up my 7A and go into the guaranateed balcony pool.

As I stated in my previous post...the only real benefit would be the gamble of possibly getting a better cabin than I already have.

Categories of balcony are BL, 7A, 8A, 8B etc.. each one is a different category. The rules state you must price match to the SAME category as you are in. I think Carnival has throw in the towel and has been allowing some people to price match to gtys lately because so many dont seem to read the rules.. or maybe they dont know what it means to price match to the SAME category they are in. .. they used to always deny these price matches .. but lately they have been allowing them.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=earlysaver

• What is the price protection assurance feature?

If, after booking, you find a lower Carnival advertised fare, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: i) for the same ship, sailing, stateroom category and number of guests; ii) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate; and iii) a rate you are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

Just be aware you could wind up under a lounge or all the way forward or aft in a less favorable location if they allow you to downgrade to the BL category.

Categories of balcony are BL, 7A, 8A, 8B etc.. each one is a different category. The rules state you must price match to the SAME category as you are in. I think Carnival has throw in the towel and has been allowing some people to price match to gtys lately because so many dont seem to read the rules.. or maybe they dont know what it means to price match to the SAME category they are in. .. they used to always deny these price matches .. but lately they have been allowing them.

Just be aware you could wind up under a lounge or all the way forward or aft in a less favorable location if they allow you to downgrade to the BL category.

Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea it was a downgrade. For now I'm happy with my 7A. If the price drops I may change my mind, lol. ;)

Latisha

Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea it was a downgrade. For now I'm happy with my 7A. If the price drops I may change my mind, lol. ;)

Latisha

And your 7A may open up closer to the sailing too .. its happened and people got last minute price drops on previously sold out categories.

And just like moving from your 7A to say a 8D is a upgrade, moving from your 7A downward to a lower catgory, the BL is a downgrade.

Yeah, we were fine with 5236, but once we were able to get the aft, we didn't think twice. The obc was an added bonus.

I would just keep watching the prices and jump on it when it becomes available. Did you try to call Carnival and ask if you could pick your own cabin? It doesn't hurt to ask and they may let you do it, you may get lucky and talk to someone willing to bend the rules a little. You won't be any worse off if they say no, you will still have your original cabin.

That was what I meant. The military rate for the aft was actually less than the 7A when we booked. Thank for clarifying it, I meant to say that but left it out.

Double post, please disregard.

Actually I am aware of the rules. We took the price match for the 7A, got the obc and then upgraded to the aft. We didn't price match an aft for a 7A. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post. :o

Actually I am aware of the rules. We took the price match for the 7A, got the obc and then upgraded to the aft. We didn't price match an aft for a 7A. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post. :o

Im still not clear, why call it a aft, without calling it by its category, which is what matters.

A 7A could be in the aft of the ship too .. so I dont know which category you mean, sorry.

Im still not clear, why call it a aft, without calling it by its category, which is what matters.

A 7A could be in the aft of the ship too .. so I dont know which category you mean, sorry.

Really?? The reason I kept referring it to an aft is that people may not understand the difference in each category, but do understand that an aft is considered better than a obstructed view balcony. I realize that I called it a 7A and then referred to cabin 4230 as an aft instead of its category, which is an 8M. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Really?? The reason I kept referring it to an aft is that people may not understand the difference in each category, but do understand that an aft is considered better than a obstructed view balcony. I realize that I called it a 7A and then referred to cabin 4230 as an aft instead of its category, which is an 8M. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Why would you assume you offended me when I said I dont understand what category you mean.

Im just more specific than most people, as I have learned on here if you dont dot your i's and cross you t's, someone will say.. well what about ...

If you had said aft facing, I probably would have picked up on what you meant, rather than just calling it a aft balcony .. most call those aft facing balconies to say which ones they mean if they dont know the category.

Wasnt offended in the least. Ive just learned you have to be really specific on CC.

Why would you assume you offended me when I said I dont understand what category you mean.

Im just more specific than most people, as I have learned on here if you dont dot your i's and cross you t's, someone will say.. well what about ...

If you had said aft facing, I probably would have picked up on what you meant, rather than just calling it a aft balcony .. most call those aft facing balconies to say which ones they mean if they dont know the category.

Wasnt offended in the least. Ive just learned you have to be really specific on CC.

Sorry I didn't realize that you didn't understand what I meant by aft. I thought that aft was a commonly referred to term to describe a cabin on the back of the ship with a balcony. From reading your previous posts on the thread I thought you understood what I meant when I said an aft, since you commented that I can't price match a different category. Next time I'll be more specific.

Archived