FLL flight time after transatlantic cruise

Bar&Beach

I'm considering a transatlantic cruise that ends in FLL. One of the ones we're considering is the Silohette next December

We've heard that TA's might take longer to disembark than a regular cruise. Should a flight time a little after 12 noon be safe? Or do we have to look for something later?

When we disembarked in FLL after a TA, I observed that the lines to go through immigration and customs were worse for the non US citizens. You would probably be OK with a flight after 12, but I would prefer a little more leeway just in case.

I can't imagine not being able to make a flight out of FLL after 12 noon. They want you off the boat to get ready for the next cruise and if you are a US citizen you will go right through unless you are bringing back cases of liquor or the cute little drug dog picks you out.

We have arrived in Fort Lauderdale after three transatlantic cruises. After our experience on the first one, we now book late afternoon flights. On that one, the lines at immigration were really long and very slow moving. We were staying on for a couple of days with friends, so were not impacted, but many people missed flights. The US lines were not cleared until 11 am, and the other nationalities were even slower (not as many people, but only one desk).

This was by far the worst of our three TAs, and we were told it was because several ships were arriving from Europe the same day, so the immigration officers were spread thinly. Celebrity certainly wants everyone off the ship, but they do not have control of what happens afterwards.

Sheila

It DOES take longer to clear the ship after a TA. I'd be much more comfortable with a later flight. We weren't in a taxi headed to FLL until after 10:00 AM. We're usually at our gate by 9AM. FLL can be very busy when ships are in port, so rebooking a missed flight is sometimes impossible. My advice is to look for a mid-afternoon flight. Later if you're traveling out of the US.

Guess we've come into Miami or FLL 5 or six times now on TAs.

Everything went well, except for once-- very slow getting off (Homeland Security), then almost no taxis and huge lines waiting. Yep, we missed our business class seats at noon. Fortunately, the understanding agent at the airport rebooked us on a later, non-direct, flight--middle seats, but no extra rebooking charge.

Now we just bite the bullet and book a bit later (if possible).

Archived