Train to Tianjin from Beijing

BigAl1950

Not sure if I have done this properly, if not I would appreciate some advice. I posted a thread regarding my upcoming trip to Asia and thank you for all your replies.

I have looked at the timetable for the trains and what I need to know is that if I use the train to get to Tianjin from Beijing, to which station do I go, there are 4 options, North, West or South Tianjin, or Tianjin, for the cruise port for the Diamond Princess.

Also I was asked which countries I was visiting regarding currency, my apologies, but I thought as I was asking about the Princess cruise from Beijing to Bangkok I would get replies from previous travellers.

I am visiting, Beijing, South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Vietnam, Singapore, and Bangkok.

To find currency equivalents use http://www.xe.net. In Vietnam use US$. In other countries you need the local currency. In Japan doing an exchange at a bank is a major operation.

The TianJin pier is 41 kilometers from the main TianJin train station. The nearest train station is TangGu which is 10 km or so from the pier. You will have trouble telling the cabbie where to go. There are several fast trains to TangGu from the BeiJing South Station.

Do a Search for "Tianjin International Cruise Home Port".

This is Princess's sheet on the port

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/embarkation_port_guides/Beijing_Tianjin_Info.pdf

This is what I wrote about my transfer

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1641691

Just about the only alternative to Princess's transfer is a similar one run by Tour Beijing. Their bus run from the International Hotel, a major landmark and a short walk from Beijing's main train station.

http://www.tour-beijing.com/xingang_beijing/cruise_coach_transfer.php#2

To book by credit card you need to send them an image of both sides of your credit card. To book via PayPal you need money already on deposit at PayPal.

I got to the International Hotel at about 8:15 am and the buses were already there. Luggage go on a separate van. My suitcase beat me to the cabin.

We departed at 10:00 am. May 1 was a major holiday so there was little traffic on the highways. We made excellent time to the TangGu region of Tianjin. Then we stopped because the driver did not know how to reach the pier. I provided two maps [in Chinese] and eventually we reached the pier around 12:40 pm.

The cost of the transfer was RMB 376 or US$60, less than the $84 that Princess charges.

I would post your train question on Trip Advisor where there are many more local experts. It would help if you tell them where the cruise terminal is but I know they have answered questions about this before.

Taking the train saves worrying about very common fog and traffic jams on the road.

We took the train last year for the Beijing to Vancouver crossing.

We booked our tickets at the hotel in Beijing. The concierge obtained them for us.

The bullet trains leave from Beijing South Station for Tianjin/Tanguu.

The train to take is the train to Tanguu. We took the mid morning train and got to Tanguu about 11:30a.m.

Tanguu is much closer to the new terminal and it was still a 20 minute taxi ride to the port. The drivers are familiar with the new port, so it is much easier to find a taxi. Believe me, there will be taxis competing for your business at the train station.

The train is a blessing because it is a much shorter and more comfortable ride than any other means of transportation. The train has an area in each coach for luggage.

Be sure and book first class reserved seat. They are not that expensive.

The coaches are numbered and seats are numbered.

Hope this helps. Carol

We took the train last year for the Beijing to Vancouver crossing.

We booked our tickets at the hotel in Beijing. The concierge obtained them for us.

The bullet trains leave from Beijing South Station for Tianjin/Tanguu.

The train to take is the train to Tanguu. We took the mid morning train and got to Tanguu about 11:30a.m.

Tanguu is much closer to the new terminal and it was still a 20 minute taxi ride to the port. The drivers are familiar with the new port, so it is much easier to find a taxi. Believe me, there will be taxis competing for your business at the train station.

The train is a blessing because it is a much shorter and more comfortable ride than any other means of transportation. The train has an area in each coach for luggage.

Be sure and book first class reserved seat. They are not that expensive.

The coaches are numbered and seats are numbered.

Hope this helps. Carol

Carol you are the first person that I have read that actually took the bullet train. I tried over many months working with my TA in China and they just discouraged it all the way. They seemed to think no place for luggage. Price for the train and 2 taxi rides made it so much more expensive than the Princess transfer. (I must go from ship to airport in Nov. ) I bet within a few years they will have a train option. Sorry I didn't get to do it this trip but guess I will stick with transfer this time as my tripmates are more comfortable with that. Thanks for sharing.

If anyone has done the train from pier to airport I sure would like to hear about it! TIA

I am surprised in some ways that the locals would be negative about the train, but perhaps they are concerned about the unpredictables.

I will say that for the two of us, we felt the train was very reasonable as well as convenient. We probably took a total of 2.5 hours from the time we left the hotel until we were on our way to the port. We had time to spare since we allowed more time than needed at the train station .

The cost, based on my memory, was about $50. That included the taxi to the station, train tickets, concierge fee, and taxi to the port. We were "stiffed", if you pardon my terminology, a bit for the taxi to the port. They refused to use the meter and charged 100 yuan for the ride. We were so relieved to arrive at the the port that we paid with little protest. Also, the competition with taxis at the train station in Tanguu is fierce.

Hope this helps. Carol

Carol you are the first person that I have read that actually took the bullet train. I tried over many months working with my TA in China and they just discouraged it all the way. They seemed to think no place for luggage. Price for the train and 2 taxi rides made it so much more expensive than the Princess transfer. (I must go from ship to airport in Nov. ) I bet within a few years they will have a train option. Sorry I didn't get to do it this trip but guess I will stick with transfer this time as my tripmates are more comfortable with that. Thanks for sharing.

If anyone has done the train from pier to airport I sure would like to hear about it! TIA

I am in the midst of research and planning our first trip to Asia for next year and we are taking a cruise departing from Beijing. Our plan is to take the high speed bullet train to Tanggu... first of all for the experience, and second of all it looks like it may be a fun/good way to travel.

Here is a link to a website with schedules and another link to a website that will give a visual for the location of everything.

http://www.beijingchina.net.cn/transportation/train/ft-tanggu.html

http://www.tour-beijing.com/xingang_beijing/

Safe Travels!

I am surprised in some ways that the locals would be negative about the train, but perhaps they are concerned about the unpredictables.

I will say that for the two of us, we felt the train was very reasonable as well as convenient. We probably took a total of 2.5 hours from the time we left the hotel until we were on our way to the port. We had time to spare since we allowed more time than needed at the train station .

The cost, based on my memory, was about $50. That included the taxi to the station, train tickets, concierge fee, and taxi to the port. We were "stiffed", if you pardon my terminology, a bit for the taxi to the port. They refused to use the meter and charged 100 yuan for the ride. We were so relieved to arrive at the the port that we paid with little protest. Also, the competition with taxis at the train station in Tanguu is fierce.

Hope this helps. Carol

I was very interested in your two posts on this subject. I am actually interested in going from the port to Beijing by train -more for the experience without the hassle of luggage as we are docked at Tianjin for 3 days next April on our cruise - we are departing from HK and previosly flying into Beijing spending some time there and also Guilin before arriving in HK.

My question is - do you think we will easily get a taxi to get to Taggu or Tianjin for the train?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Train plus 2 taxi rides will be much less than Princess charges especially if there are 4 of you who can share one taxi.

Train is about $10.

Taxi in Beijing $10-15 max.

At the pier they will overcharge you, but even if they charge 200 rmb that is only $30.

So 4 people about $80. Total time 2 hours or so. Bus transfer could be 4 hours or more.

I was very interested in your two posts on this subject. I am actually interested in going from the port to Beijing by train -more for the experience without the hassle of luggage as we are docked at Tianjin for 3 days next April on our cruise - we are departing from HK and previosly flying into Beijing spending some time there and also Guilin before arriving in HK.

My question is - do you think we will easily get a taxi to get to Taggu or Tianjin for the train?

Are you on the Millennium sailing from Hong Kong to Shanghai April 11,2013? If so, there is a huge roll call already on this cruise at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1429348

Come over and join us if you are on this sailing.

We are also interested in the train info since we are not on an organized tour.

I am certainly not an authority on this subject, but I can't imagine there won't be taxis waiting for your business at the port to take you to Tanguu station. Again, Tanguu is much closer than Tianjin to the port.

Also, without luggage it will make it much easier to travel both by train and taxi. The taxis are not that big and luggage is sometimes a bit of a problem for them. Some drivers consider luggage separate passengers and will add charges.

The only other issue with Tanguu is that there are fewer trains going to Beijing then from Tianjin. I would certainly check the schedule while making your plans.

Hope this helps. Carol

When I was there port terminal in late March of this year, there were some taxis, but not many. I would be early off the ship, the taxis do not want to use meters, even with a Chinese speaker. You will have to bargin, but with three or four in a taxi, it really isn't that bad.

Are you on the Millennium sailing from Hong Kong to Shanghai April 11,2013? If so, there is a huge roll call already on this cruise at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1429348

Come over and join us if you are on this sailing.

We are also interested in the train info since we are not on an organized tour.

Yes we are on the above cruise - we booked just over a year ago! We have followed the thread closely since that time. Another couple have contacted me and are keen to take the train too. We are just going in for 1 day to experience the 200mph experience. It takes just over 30 minutes from Tianjin to Beijing! We are spending a few days in Beijing from 29 October before travelling to HK via Guilin, so are not contemplating staying in Beijing during the ship's stay.

Please e mail me if you wish - lknowles33@yahoo.co.uk

Hope this helps. Carol

See my TA was taking me to TIANJIN train station. It says that the new cruise terminal is at Tianjin but it is really 20 KM away on land that has been reclaimed from the sea. The bullet train (my specific quest) might be the problem in that Tianjin to Beijing South is 30 mins. and mostly caters to business people commuting between the two cities. Tianjin has maybe a million and half people so not a village. Perhaps we were not communicating so well that they had an idea of what I wanted to do. Again I decided not to have a private transfer because the cost was more than the 3 bus transfers from cruise line. Explanation was the tolls and the hard time to get in the port to pick up passengers.

]Well this is interesting but back almost a year ago and then when I started up thinking about this trip after our South America trip -- it just seemed that I was asking a very strange set of questions to the tour agent. Who knows perhaps the person I was working with (now not working as she had a baby ) just had not had that situation. The new person does not seem to know of the extensive conversations on email that we had making the arrangements and is a little more curt. They did send me a picture of the train cabin and it certainly did not look like there was anyplace for luggage.

Oh well not this time. Every trip has lovely plans that for one reason or another just don't work out. So much in this trip -- it has to be fabulous and I am sure to be dragging by the time all the fun plays out.

Make very sure that you are going to the NEW terminal. Lots of the information relates to the old pier which is a different place (I think the new opened maybe 2011). Also when discussing maybe need to use the term train rather than "bullet train" and you will get more options.

I wish I had a picture of the train cabin. On the fast train to Tanguu, and most probably all fast trains, the train car has very roomy seats with overhead racks to store carry on bags. As you get on the train, at the entrance to each cabin is a space to put all other luggage. There were several cruise ship passengers heading for the port, so there was quite a bit of luggage and all fit in the area. As you get off, you simply get your bags and they roll right off of the coach as the train is even with the outside platform. Probably it would be a bit difficult for people who have a lot of luggage or people with mobility problems. We had one large piece each and one carry on each. Some people had porters assist when

loading luggage on the train. I didn't notice porters assisting when getting off.

The taxi drivers do know now where the new port is. They seem familiar with the princess luggage tags.

Carol

]Well this is interesting but back almost a year ago and then when I started up thinking about this trip after our South America trip -- it just seemed that I was asking a very strange set of questions to the tour agent. Who knows perhaps the person I was working with (now not working as she had a baby ) just had not had that situation. The new person does not seem to know of the extensive conversations on email that we had making the arrangements and is a little more curt. They did send me a picture of the train cabin and it certainly did not look like there was anyplace for luggage.

Oh well not this time. Every trip has lovely plans that for one reason or another just don't work out. So much in this trip -- it has to be fabulous and I am sure to be dragging by the time all the fun plays out.

Make very sure that you are going to the NEW terminal. Lots of the information relates to the old pier which is a different place (I think the new opened maybe 2011). Also when discussing maybe need to use the term train rather than "bullet train" and you will get more options.

I am certainly not an authority on this subject, but I can't imagine there won't be taxis waiting for your business at the port to take you to Tanguu station. Again, Tanguu is much closer than Tianjin to the port.

Also, without luggage it will make it much easier to travel both by train and taxi. The taxis are not that big and luggage is sometimes a bit of a problem for them. Some drivers consider luggage separate passengers and will add charges.

The only other issue with Tanguu is that there are fewer trains going to Beijing then from Tianjin. I would certainly check the schedule while making your plans.

Hope this helps. Carol

Thanks Carol for that. I have read a lot about taking the train on CC and TA but it is good to hear from people who have actually done it.

See my TA was taking me to TIANJIN train station. It says that the new cruise terminal is at Tianjin but it is really 20 KM away on land that has been reclaimed from the sea. The bullet train (my specific quest) might be the problem in that Tianjin to Beijing South is 30 mins. and mostly caters to business people commuting between the two cities. Tianjin has maybe a million and half people so not a village. Perhaps we were not communicating so well that they had an idea of what I wanted to do. Again I decided not to have a private transfer because the cost was more than the 3 bus transfers from cruise line. Explanation was the tolls and the hard time to get in the port to pick up passengers.

Actually Tianjin has about 13 million people. :p The cruise terminal is definitely closer to the Tanggu Station. Tanggu is a coastal district of Tianjin. There are much more trains departing from the Tianjin station than Tanggu. So it may not take much longer since your waiting time maybe shorter. It will cost a little more for taxi though. .

Archived