My non-excited DH

sarahleebones

Sounds SOOO like my DH. I pretty much have Carte Blanche when booking a vacation. DH doesn't get remotely excited until we get to the airport (and after one failed vacation where we spent 5 hours in an airport and never got off the ground....) or until we GET to our destination!

Pain to get to commit to booking things in advance like excursions!

This sounds EXACTLY like my DH. On our last cruise, which was a Southern out of San Juan..I planned every detail for MONTHS. When we got to our cabin he had ordered wine and a fruit basket! I was so surprised..I joked that I didn't think he even knew which ship we were on. He said he didn't, and one night well I was sleeping, he snuck into my cruise folder and had to look it up!

Dh is the same too. I do everything except oack his suitcase. Since i already pack for myself and a 2yr old. But then he waits until midnight the night becore while i am exhausted and trying to go to bedhe is pulling all his stuff out onto the bed!

Even if I ask his opinion about an excursion he doesn't really choose. It's all up to me. But the in July he was going to Disney with about 20 of his family members ( i couldn't go) and he was planning and researching and booking everything! That pissed me off. I said i was going to make him do everything for our next cruise but if course i am doing everything again. I guess it's like a previous poster said, i am a control freak so I can't imagine not knowing if everything is taken care off...

Add me to the list! My husband lets me plan every last detail & I wouldn't have it any other way! Where we go, which ship, excursions, etc! He says he trusts my judgement!

Now...he tells me he doesn't even want to know what I have planned until a month or so before we leave! I did spill the beans that our upcoming cruise will be on Carnival's newest ship (Breeze) but he still doesn't know when or where we're going to. I figure I'll give him a few more months, once it's paid off & make sure he requests those days off of work!

Yup! You are so not alone, OP! And it's a okay with me.

I plan and execute it all and DH is great with that, so :D.

We figure he works his tail off and honestly doesn't have time for all the details, so I get to do it.

I like doing it. He likes not doing it. He pays for it. He trusts my judgment, also.

I do ask him about this or that and he'll give an opinion when pressed but trusts me choose places and excursions that we'll both enjoy or share equal interest.

Maybe one day it leans a bit more to his tastes and the next day mine.

But, it truly is all good and we are thankful for each others "talents" and interests!

It's a perfect balancing act for us! No complaints here!

This is an interesting read...

I think if it wasn't for me, we would never go on a vacation. I research and book cruises, find flights, look for pre-cruise hotels, plan excursions, print documents, round up passports. My wife and girls pack their suitcases and show up when it's time to leave for the airport...lol

I can even name every ship we've been on in chronological order.

It's just the opposite in my house. DW says this is when I would like to go, and then it's all me finding the cruise, excursions, flights and what not.

I love doing all the planning and I think she get sick of me talking about the cruise at times.

I can't wait to plan our family cruise!!

My first wife would not go on a cruise with me. I divorced her and remarried. I could not talk my second wife to go on a cruise with me. I divorced her. Now I am cruising this weekend with my gf. I think she is a KEEPER !!!:rolleyes:

Losing my cruiseginity Sept.16 ,2012 "Chuck"

It's just the opposite in my house. DW says this is when I would like to go, and then it's all me finding the cruise, excursions, flights and what not.

I love doing all the planning and I think she get sick of me talking about the cruise at times.

I can't wait to plan our family cruise!!

This is me too! I plan all vacations but she likes to hear all the details. There are many times after I do all the research I present the options to her and we make final decision together.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

In the planning stages, I ask the Hubs his opinion about almost everything, every step of the way. It is, however, totally unnecessary, since he says "Whatever...you've never steered me wrong." When pressed to choose between 2 excursions (I usually do a pre-screening beforehand), he will sometimes make a choice. However, if I were to switch to the other one, he probably would neither care nor notice. In ports, I do the navigating.

He might remember which cruise lines we've been on in general, but probably not for which itineraries and definitely not the ships' names, but then, I'm pretty bad at that, too.

He usually knows where we're going on vacation because he loves to brag about it ahead of time rub it in to coworkers, who can't imagine how we can do such "great" vacations (we have different priorities from them and I'm good at finding bargains). He tells them that his wife is independently wealthy and he's a kept man only working to keep busy (complete & total fabrication).

My DH is just the same. I book, plan, research, shop, wash, iron and pack for our family of 4 to go on holiday, and all he thinks he needs to do is chuck some swimming shorts and clean underwear in a bag and he is ready to go! :(. :

Your DH actually packs his own underwear? Mine gets excited about our cruises, but his physical involvement begins when he carries the luggage that I have packed to the car. Then every day he asks me what he is to wear that day.

My DH is the same way. I was talking this morning about our April 2013 cruise and asked him if he was excited. He said not yet, maybe a couple of weeks or a month before. Atleast he knows where we are going this cruise though, because he wanted that particular itinerary. Last cruise I swear he did not know where we were going until about 2 weeks before because people would ask him where we were going so he had to know how to answer them. Otherwise I think he would have probably asked me in the car, on the way to NOLA.

He is not into details either. I said something about the Valor and said, don't you remember when we went on the Valor. He said which one was that. The man has been on exactly TWO cruises! :D

Oh my gosh, ladies, we need to start a club or something! My DH loves cruising but the man literally "just shows up" to the vacation. I do all the work! Granted, it's a double-edged sword because I love it, but if he knew half the work that goes into finding airfare and OBC and price drops and excursion scheduling and port and hotel transportation........:eek:

He always says, "Don't worry.... I can't really get turly into it until...you know...the week of. I don't understand how you get excited 11 months out?"

I think my hubby "starts" to get excited once the wheels touch the runway of the destination airport. And here I sit at work with my countdown ticker at 130 days on CruiseCritic.com every waking hour! :D

Then again, once we get there and everything is perfectly mapped out and orgainzed, I get thanked.

my DH complained the entire time leading up to the day before our cruise last year that we shouldn't have been spending the money for it, even though he ok'd it before I booked it....but he had a BLAST once we got there, and keeps asking me when we are going again, lol!

I took my now ex girlfriend on a cruise to Bermuda, and she acted like I was doing something wrong. She picked about every little detail and complained about everything. I broke up with her. To this day I don't know what her problem was. I don't think it had much to do with the cruises, honestly. But the thought of having a girlfriend who wouldn't be happy about taking vacations, in spite of whatever circumstances, I realized was a deal breaker for me.

This time, my roommate and I are taking the Freedom in October all the way to Aruba. Hoping to have a better time. Actually...she couldn't mess up my good time. Bermuda was a blast.

Oh Oh, now I am concerned since I am a guy where as most of the replies have come from the ladies who do all the planning. Basically, I am a confessed Cruise-A-Holic. I have to do a 7 to 8 day cruise once each year or I would ............... I don't know ............... I just know I got to. So I do every thing and many months in advance. Then I just wait and wait and wait. I keep bringing the cruise up but my wife just says "OK." or "That's nice." or "If you want to."

She does have a good time on the cruise but I have a unbelievable, fantastic time. Oh well, I look at it this way. Just 163 days, 21 hours, 37 minutes and 20 seconds. Then I start planning all over again.

I have been thinking of bringing the suit cases down and maybe packing a thing or two but that may not be a good idea. Better wait a month or two more.

Well, it appears my household is in the minority here. I pretty much have everything all planned out and only then do I approach my GF. At this point she doesn't care where we go or what we do. She needs to book the time off work, so i have to wait until she gives me the OK for the dates involved.

After booking, I try to get her excited but she just smiles and pretends to be interested. I try and fill her in about excursions and such, but she's indifferent. She'll smile and say "oh, that sounds fun", but I know she really isn't interested at this point.

That is UNTIL we're on board. Then it's "but I want to do this OTHER excursion!" and/or "Why are we eating so early/late?" and/or "We were here two years ago, why are we here again?"

*SIGH*

"Well sorry dear. Guess you should have spoke up when I asked you 3 months ago."

Then she spends the next couple days sulking.

Archived