Kids on a cruise

bliss_fully_happy

reading reviews of my up coming cruise on rcl freedom I ran across this:

"I feel that passengers with children should all be put in a separate area.

Also we had a family sitting behind us at every meal, screaming crying,etc.

We never could even hold a conversation. Put all kids in the same dining room!!!!"

They want a whole floor/section of the cruise ship to be family.

Why oh why would anyone go in with this attitude especially on the mainstream cruise lines that are so kid friendly?

I really hope I don't run into people like this on my cruises.

There are a lot of folks who don't want kids anywhere near them....just ignore them! Cruising IS a "family-friendly" vacation...no worries!

Someone can only ruin your good time if you allow it.

That said, if you child is causing a scene, they should be removed from public areas until they calm down! Kids cry....can't help it, but parents can be cognizant of others and by removing the child from the situation, it teaches the child that some behavior isn't acceptable! I don't think it's about the kids at all, but about parents who allow misbehavior for extended periods of time, without taken parental control!!!

We never could even hold a conversation. Put all kids in the same dining room!!!!"

Why oh why would anyone go in with this attitude especially on the mainstream cruise lines that are so kid friendly?

While I definitely agree that is someone is sailing on a ship such as Freedom they should know there will be families, I still wonder why, if the kids truly were that disruptive, they were not removed from the dining room by the parents.

I have kids that are now almost grown (the youngest is 17) and have walked out of many a restaurant, store, etc when they acted up. If I sail on a family oriented ship I expect to see kids, but also expect their parents to parent them!

We all need to learn how to cruise together and realize it is not "my vacation" but all "our vacations". If everyone would bend a little and be cognizant of how their actions affect others we could all have a better time overall.

We will be taking my 21 month old on a cruise, and yes, she is a toddler, she will fuss, but we will leave the area when she gets like that. Kids are loud, everybody was a kid once, you just have to be a responsible parent. I am not going to worry about what others think because for the most part, Scarlett is a really good kid, and when shes "naughty" we just leave the room as not to disturb anybody else. Enjoy your cruise!!! :)

People hide behind the computer here but most are just fine on board. Don't let them get to you.

It's really not the kids - most are just fine - it's the parents who decide once on board (or, who knows, maybe they're the same at home) that they are on vacation which includes being on vacation from parenting. Their kids can do anything they want as long as the parents can enjoy themselves and don't have to be bothered with the kids. I was seated next to such a mother at the pool once. Her two kids (roughly 8-10 years old) were running around the area, downed two frozen drinks each, then came back and declared they were bored. Mom totally did not want to move from her book and lounge chair. She told them to go in the hot tub and not bother her. They complained there were too many people in it. She told them to just go jump in and splash around a lot and they would leave - then she smiled and happily went back to her book. Sorry, I've got a huge issue with people like that.

It's really not the kids - most are just fine - it's the parents who decide once on board (or, who knows, maybe they're the same at home) that they are on vacation which includes being on vacation from parenting. Their kids can do anything they want as long as the parents can enjoy themselves and don't have to be bothered with the kids. I was seated next to such a mother at the pool once. Her two kids (roughly 8-10 years old) were running around the area, downed two frozen drinks each, then came back and declared they were bored. Mom totally did not want to move from her book and lounge chair. She told them to go in the hot tub and not bother her. They complained there were too many people in it. She told them to just go jump in and splash around a lot and they would leave - then she smiled and happily went back to her book. Sorry, I've got a huge issue with people like that.

Sorry to hear this happened.

I agree that there are lots of rude adults who cruise. I am sure that anyone who has cruised has a story to tell. I find it best to try and ignore, escape or laugh off behaviour that I find rude. I am on vacation afterall.:)

Went on Freedom last January with my children 14,11,6. We had a blast. Set some ground rules before you go and try to avoid the "up till midnite and up at 7 routine". We did witness some children that were running the ship with no supervision. I assume this is the group most people are upset with. Someone earlier said it best "on vacation does not include a vacation from parenting". I do not hesitate to bring my kids with. Remember a little common courtesy goes a long way.

Most of the time the issue is not that these are people taking a vaction from parenting -- this is these folks parenting style. All my DD's life, I have encountered these "parents" who are really just adults with children. They are clueless.

Archived