Not enough outlets

LifeNJ

The best way to deal with outlets IME is do the following:

Three foot triple tap. This will provide three 15A outlets. Crawl under that little table where the hair dryer is and run the plug up through the hole where the hair dryer wire feeds through. Plug this into the 120V socket. This will provide you with 3 outlets. Into one of these outlets you can connect either an extension cord (the use of 3 wire 16AWG or heavier type SJ is recommended) OR a power strip (the one I pictured earlier has a long enough lead that an extension cord is generally not required in most steerage cabins! ;) )

Depending on where you use your devices (near the bed or dresser) will depend on your configuration.

If you need power by your bunk for a laptop, CPAP, etc. run a cord with a triple tap there. The only limit is your imagination.

Now the outlet cannot supply an unlimited amount of power so common sense applies! This arrangement will power any assortment of laptop, gaming console, chargers for phones, tablets, you name it!

Remember the housekeeping staff need to work around this so please run the wires along the walls and never across the floor where they can be tripped over, etc.

Another thing regarding the 240V "european" style connection. If you have an adapter to allow a US plug to connect to these please remember to check the name plate on your device! Most electronic "wall wart" style chargers will accept a wide voltage range of 100-250V input so this is not a problem. NEVER connect a power strip to this arrangement! These devices are not meant to run at input voltages higher than 125VAC. Additionally ones that contain surge arrestors WILL clamp at that voltage causing a short which will trip a circuit breaker. Do NOT allow this to happen!

Be smart and safe and have fun! :)

Cheers,

Norman

Our hair dryer was in the bathroom. In all our cruises on various ships on various cruise lines our hair dryer has always been in the bathroom. What category cabin has it in the cabin? Is this on one of the newer ships?

Edited by NMLady

I generally take the following, all requiring a plug at least sometime:

laptop (offloading pictures, writing)

ipad (generally used to check work email in ports)

2 iphones (wife and I)

3-4 camera battery chargers

3 ipod touch

1 kindle

Now generally I'll have two ipod/iphone/ipad chargers and we rotate devices through them. I'll also have 2 camera batteries going most of the time, since we have multiple cameras and take lots of pictures. The laptop just gets plugged in as need. So really, for all those devices I really need 4-5 outlets. Taking a power squid solves for all of this. In the bottom picture you can actually see an iphone, kindle, laptop and a few camera chargers. :) That's on the Jewel class mini. No Euro plug, but two 110v. On the Epic there were two 110 and a Euro 220 under the desk

sdmike, thanks for the tip on the squid! I'd never seen them before, and just happened to come across one on sale today for $15 (regular $32?!!) so snagged it for our upcoming Dec cruise. Score! :D

You could of course pack a gen set, run it on the balcony, or a bank of batteries, an inverter and solar power. How much electronic stuff does a person need on holiday???

Genset isn't going to cut it since it has an internal combustion engine and fuel is restricted. Batteries with an inverter will work, just a matter of how much you want to carry. Solar works great as long as you have long exposure. Insolation is well over 500 Langleys in the tropics at high noon. Of course if you're on a forward balcony SWECS (wind power) would probably prevail over the efficiency of solar when its inconvenience is factored in. Of course you were kidding. Right? :D

Our hair dryer was in the bathroom. In all our cruises on various ships on various cruise lines our hair dryer has always been in the bathroom. What category cabin has it in the cabin? Is this on one of the newer ships?

Yes my previous post was directed at Star/Jewel class vessels. I've been on others that had dryers in the head. Those were kind of weird. Fortunately the only use I have for 'em is to preheat camera gear before venturing out in the high dewpoint Caribbean air. ;)

In any case the idea of getting best use with a single outlet still applies. Just be careful especially if you use line powered devices on your balcony. (you really shouldn't)

Cheers,

Norman

Genset isn't going to cut it since it has an internal combustion engine and fuel is restricted. Batteries with an inverter will work, just a matter of how much you want to carry. Solar works great as long as you have long exposure. Insolation is well over 500 Langleys in the tropics at high noon. Of course if you're on a forward balcony SWECS (wind power) would probably prevail over the efficiency of solar when its inconvenience is factored in. Of course you were kidding. Right? :D

Norman

I had not thought about the fuel, wonder if we could possibly take advantage of second hand smoke and devise a way to run our gen set on that! :rolleyes:

Yes my previous post was directed at Star/Jewel class vessels. I've been on others that had dryers in the head. ...

When we were on the Jewel in one of the cheapest OV cabins, we did NOT have a hair dryer in the cabin, just in the bathroom as usual.

Ummmm ... wow .... interesting thread !

SC and Haven 2 BR in Jewel class have at least 5 outlets, if not 6. In main cabin, there is one behind chair by balcony door, 1 by head of bed and 1 in bathroom.

Brought a small collapsible box to hold extra wires and small devices. Put that behind chair and plugged in a power strip. Kept everything out of the way of the cabin steward.

One in bedroom was used for a noise machine to block out noise from marathon runners and macho men weightlifters who insisted on doing their thing at 0600 :eek:.

One in the bath was sufficient for a curling iron or electric curlers. :)

I generally take the following, all requiring a plug at least sometime:

laptop (offloading pictures, writing)

ipad (generally used to check work email in ports)

2 iphones (wife and I)

3-4 camera battery chargers

3 ipod touch

1 kindle

Now generally I'll have two ipod/iphone/ipad chargers and we rotate devices through them. I'll also have 2 camera batteries going most of the time, since we have multiple cameras and take lots of pictures. The laptop just gets plugged in as need. So really, for all those devices I really need 4-5 outlets. Taking a power squid solves for all of this. In the bottom picture you can actually see an iphone, kindle, laptop and a few camera chargers. :) That's on the Jewel class mini. No Euro plug, but two 110v. On the Epic there were two 110 and a Euro 220 under the desk

PowerSquid%20Surge.jpg

IMG_3586-vi.jpg

Thanks for the squid suggestion! Ordering one now!

Thanks for the squid suggestion! Ordering one now!

I ordered one last week after reading the tip here. It just came --yikes, it's much bigger and heavier than it would appear. Hard to imagine taking this on any cruise unless I'm driving to the port.

I also ordered a pack of 1-foot extension cords. Taking a couple of these will ensure I can use all the outlets on my little Belkin. Together, I think this will be less bulk than the squid.

The 110 volt outlet on NCL ships are designed for devices with average/moderate amp. requirements - so I would just be careful about fully loading the "squid" or other HD power strips in full. At a minimum, it will trip the circuit breaker on the extension strip and prevent an electrical fire.

With numerous cords running across the tabletop, it's a potential safety hazard so please be careful with any liquid nearby since there is no GFIC. We heard stories on our recent RCCL cruise that stateroom attendants were disconnecting these extension cords while cleaning the cabins as the guests were out, leaving everything plugged in unattended, risking electrical fire (which is very understandable.) I only use them while we are in the room and always store them when we are out of the cabin for any extended period of time.

I carry a compact Belkin Dual USB Power Adapter - that's good for 3x 3 prong plugs plus 2 USB port rated at 0.5 amp at 5 volt, meaning slower charging for iPhone @ 1.0 amp and iPad @ 2.0 amp. - advantage is that fewer charging adapters & cords to take along (and less chances for losing or leaving them behind) - it is lightweight & discounted to as low as $12 w. free shipping.

http://www.macmall.com/p/Belkin-MP3-Players-&-Accessories/product~dpno~7467546~pdp.effhidb

On our last NCL cruise, we still have the hairdryer stored in the desk drawer and it used 220-240 voltage, which most laptop power adapter are usually compatible with (auto-sensing & auto-switching) as long as there is a matching Euro adapter plug. It is generally the same as the ones used for the coffee maker/hot water kettle - these 220/240 outlets are designed for higher wattage or amps.

Last but not necessary least, if you still need access to more plug outlets, look & follow the TV monitor - disconnect it and you have another power source & miss out on all the announcement & cruise/shore-ex info-mmercials. With 44 days to go for our next NCL cruise on the Gem - yeah, I will make a note to remind myself to check the voltage for the TV, but I believe it is 220/240 as it is a Euro style plug, but a bit hard to get at behind the wall mounting location.

The 110 volt outlet on NCL ships are designed for devices with average/moderate amp. requirements - so I would just be careful about fully loading the "squid" or other HD power strips in full. At a minimum, it will trip the circuit breaker on the extension strip and prevent an electrical fire.

With numerous cords running across the tabletop, it's a potential safety hazard so please be careful with any liquid nearby since there is no GFIC. We heard stories on our recent RCCL cruise that stateroom attendants were disconnecting these extension cords while cleaning the cabins as the guests were out, leaving everything plugged in unattended, risking electrical fire (which is very understandable.) I only use them while we are in the room and always store them when we are out of the cabin for any extended period of time.

I carry a compact Belkin Dual USB Power Adapter - that's good for 3x 3 prong plugs plus 2 USB port rated at 0.5 amp at 5 volt, meaning slower charging for iPhone @ 1.0 amp and iPad @ 2.0 amp. - advantage is that fewer charging adapters & cords to take along (and less chances for losing or leaving them behind) - it is lightweight & discounted to as low as $12 w. free shipping.

http://www.macmall.com/p/Belkin-MP3-Players-&-Accessories/product~dpno~7467546~pdp.effhidb

On our last NCL cruise, we still have the hairdryer stored in the desk drawer and it used 220-240 voltage, which most laptop power adapter are usually compatible with (auto-sensing & auto-switching) as long as there is a matching Euro adapter plug. It is generally the same as the ones used for the coffee maker/hot water kettle - these 220/240 outlets are designed for higher wattage or amps.

Last but not necessary least, if you still need access to more plug outlets, look & follow the TV monitor - disconnect it and you have another power source & miss out on all the announcement & cruise/shore-ex info-mmercials. With 44 days to go for our next NCL cruise on the Gem - yeah, I will make a note to remind myself to check the voltage for the TV, but I believe it is 220/240 as it is a Euro style plug, but a bit hard to get at behind the wall mounting location.

The little Belkin is all I travel with too. 3 outlets and two USBs, the connecting plug can spin in whatever direction necessary. The connecting plug is also in a round setting that fits in the cruise outlets perfectly.

We bought these as Christmas gifts for our travelling friends and I never travel without it.

In order for that to happen, you'd have to be pulling in excess of 15 amps. Those "squid" powerstrips are useful when you need to plug in bulky power converters, which are relatively low current devices. I don't think anyone is plugging in a bunch of coffee makers and hair dryers and running them simultaneously.

It's good to know that the Belkin device is designed to allow Apple devices to charge at their maximum rates. However, there's no complete standard across all devices. Apple seems to want 2V-2.7V across the data pins, while other devices expect them to be shorted. If someone is going to purchase a generic USB charger, they should test it on their devices to ensure they're charging the same as the wall-charger. It may only supply 500mA or less due to different voltages expected on pins 2 and 3.

...or, you could just use a power strip and not have to unplug your TV and bring 220V adapters. Most power adapters don't have big bulky transformers anymore, so it's not really a big deal to pack them. If you're that paranoid about water getting on the power strip, just get one with GFCI built in or buy an adapter. Problem solved.

• 7 months later...

Just back off the Star. Unused outlets in our deck 5 OV were as follows:

1 UK 220v three-pin (desk)

1 US 110v three-pin (desk)

1 Euro (Schuko) 220v (behind the TV). Easy to get to if you're in a cabin that has been upgraded to a flat-screen LCD TV.

1 US two-pin 110v, shaver only (bathroom)

There were two more Schuko 220v outlets in the cabin - one had the TV plugged into it; the other the mini-bar was plugged into.

• 8 months later...
Any issues in taking power blocks on board?

I know that Celebrity / RCI do not like them - but what about NCL?

Assume from this thread it is okay - but thought I would check.

Thanks.

From NCL FAQ

"What can't I bring onboard?

Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors/beverages*, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal."

Any issues in taking power blocks on board?

I know that Celebrity / RCI do not like them - but what about NCL?

Assume from this thread it is okay - but thought I would check.

Thanks.

Not positive what you mean by "power block". If you are referring to powerstrip, read back through this post from last year.

Something like this ?? - http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Jacket-2882-Heavy-Duty-Contractor/dp/B000BQU576/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1391268054&sr=8-9&keywords=power+blocks#productDetails

It should be fine, depending on your intended use or application. It's heavy duty & 15-amp rated, meet OSHA specs & UL-listed. But, I still recommend one with its own built-in (resettable) circuit breaker. If you do use the one with a longer cord, might want to take some duct tape along to keep it from moving around - the wires could trip and/or cause a spill across the desktop or dresser counter's surface.

Have a look at this Belkin link - great & wide choice of extensions & protection - plus $25,000 to $75,000 of connected equipment warranty. http://www.belkin.com/us/Products/Power/c/WSPWRSP%3bjsessionid=1CBA96E3B144E77A0C690048153532A8/

Dear mk288:

I noticed your signature has lots of links in it. Here is something cool that can do to clean it up.

change this:

Freestyle Daily schedules - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1364617

to this:

FreeStyle Daily Schedule

How? Copy the link from the other site/page, then highlight the words you want to be the link, then click on the little symbol up there by the fonts, etc. It looks like a globe with a chain link - meant to be LINK to WORLD wide web. Then paste. Bingo!

Edited by garycarla