Santorini

ss0595

Hi everyone! My cruise next year stops at santorini and I was looking for any advice on what we should do there. We would like to relax a bit and take in the beauty of the island. Our ship arrives at 2pm and leaves at 10pm so we definitly want to watch the sunset. We are trying to figure out how we should plan out our day there, should we go to a beach or visit fira or oia? Thanks in advance for your help;)

We just got back from a visit to Santorini via cruise ship and I am preparing a post that discusses what we did and includes pictures of the cable car, donkey path and Oia. That might give you some ideas.....should be out shortly.

If you read down the board there are MANY threads about Santorini, with a tremondous volume of info...

However, in a general one size fits all statement, you need to see Oia.

Agree on both points. OP, please feel free to use the Search this forum function back on the main page. Type in "Santorini" and you'll be reading for hours. There is already a lot of good info posted here.

We were in Santorini on Sep 10th and rented a car and droved to Oia, the lighthouse, stopped at Anna's a roadside stand (the one Giada Laurentis stopped at) for a delicious sampling of her sundried tomatos, olives and other delicacies on the way to the lighthouse, dipped our toes in the Mediterranean along the way, had lunch at a Taverna with an incredible view in Pirgos- picturesque hilltop village only accessible by walking and then went to Santos Winery for another beautiful view and wine tasting. We ended our day in Thira with some final souvenir shopping. It was easy to drive although we did get an international driving permit from AAA. Even though we got lost a few times on the way to the lighthouse, it was a spectacular day and our favorite stop! ENJOY!

We just got back from a visit to Santorini via cruise ship and I am preparing a post that discusses what we did and includes pictures of the cable car, donkey path and Oia. That might give you some ideas.....should be out shortly.

Be interested in hearing what you did...read many of the post already...problem is from what I read it is one place you should DIY but DH is thinking we will be too strapped for time and doesn't want to waste time taking donkeys or cable car...thinks it is more efficient to walk it or take the ship excursion...but I'm against that because of all the wonderful thnings I read about seeing everything on your own time frame...we are in port at 7am and need to be back by 5pm....i think that should be plenty of time...so if you or anyone has a detailed step by step timeline it might help my case!!

It sounds like santorini would be manageable in our own. I would love to read about a more specific timeline as well to be sure we have enough time to see what we should and getting to and from oia. It sounds as though a wine tasting might be a good idea as well. Thanks so much for all of your help.

Ten hours is more than enough time to do Santorini on your own. Here's what we did in July. We were on one of the first tenders off the ship at 8 AM. We got right on the cable car and were quickly at the top. We had planned to take a taxi to Oia but decided to take the bus instead - it was a quick walk to the bus station and a scenic bus ride. We spent a few hours in Oia, took some great pictures, and had lunch in a nice cafe overlooking the caldera. We were going to find a cab to take us to the winery but it was so hot that we decided against it. So we took the bus back to Thira and walked around leisurely, got ice cream and did some window shopping. We took the cable car back down, and were back on the ship by 3:00, even though we didn't need to be back until 6:00. Santorini was one of our favorite ports. It was so beautiful, and it was nice to take our time and not rush around. It was good to have flexibility there -the Med itinerary was so intensive we enjoyed the down time.

Be interested in hearing what you did...read many of the post already...problem is from what I read it is one place you should DIY but DH is thinking we will be too strapped for time and doesn't want to waste time taking donkeys or cable car...thinks it is more efficient to walk it or take the ship excursion...but I'm against that because of all the wonderful thnings I read about seeing everything on your own time frame...we are in port at 7am and need to be back by 5pm....i think that should be plenty of time...so if you or anyone has a detailed step by step timeline it might help my case!!

Yes, easy to DIY, and plenty of time.

Step-by-step, everyone has theit own agenda so that'd be difficult.

But the basics:

Early off is a very good idea, before lines build for the cable car or donkeys (mules).

Takes mebbe 25 mins up by donkey, much less by cablecar.

Fira is worth an hour plus.

Bus to/from Oia about 20 mins (?).

Oia is worth an hour plus.

Buses may be well-full. Theres also a few taxis, but don't aim to leaveOia too late- most folk sensibly go there first & explore Fira later.

Or a van tour from Fira takes about 2.5hrs, incl 60/90 mins in Oia & a 20-30 mins stop partway at viewpoint.

So plenty of time to linger & do your own thing wherever you like.

Krunch is the return from Fira down to the tender jetty. Donkeys aren't popular going down, not so sure-footed & may not even be available. Lines for cablecar can be horrendous, often well over an hour, depending which ships are in and their various last-tender times.

The walk down (same path as the donkeys) isn't too bad but bits can be slippy depending on your footwear. Donkey droppings not the problem, it's that some stones are super-smooth - but the droppings do put you off walking it barefoot, yuck :D. But OK if you're careful. We walked it steadily, took 30 mins. No great effort, gravity is on your side, and super views all the time. If you're happy to walk down, give yourself a margin of at least 45 mins before last tender. If not, give yourself plenty, mebbe two hours - if the cable car line's not huge, enjoy a beer & a view while keeping an eye on the line. And a beer at the scruffy little bar by the jetty. If you've walked down, tell yourself you've earned it ;)

JB :)

But the basics:

Early off is a very good idea, before lines build for the cable car or donkeys (mules).

Buses may be well-full. Theres also a few taxis, but don't aim to leaveOia too late- most folk sensibly go there first & explore Fira later.

Or a van tour from Fira takes about 2.5hrs, incl 60/90 mins in Oia & a 20-30 mins stop partway at viewpoint.

Krunch is the return from Fira down to the tender jetty. Donkeys aren't popular going down, not so sure-footed & may not even be available. Lines for cablecar can be horrendous, often well over an hour, depending which ships are in and their various last-tender times.

The walk down (same path as the donkeys) isn't too bad but bits can be slippy depending on your footwear. Donkey droppings not the problem, it's that some stones are super-smooth - but the droppings do put you off walking it barefoot, yuck :D. But OK if you're careful. We walked it steadily, took 30 mins. No great effort, gravity is on your side, and super views all the time. If you're happy to walk down, give yourself a margin of at least 45 mins before last tender. If not, give yourself plenty, mebbe two hours - if the cable car line's not huge, enjoy a beer & a view while keeping an eye on the line. And a beer at the scruffy little bar by the jetty. If you've walked down, tell yourself you've earned it ;)

Hi...all of this is wonderful and yes it does seem like it is doable...one last question...how can I get Akotori into this schedule...really need to see it!

Thanks again

But the basics:

Hmmm...well, the more I hear about this, the better the ship's tour is looking! Originally, I thought hiking the 5 miles from Fira to Oia would be a fun adventure, but now, it seems like most of the time would be spent just getting there. (Rick Steves advises to allow 3.5 hours for one way.)

I would prefer not to rent a car. And, the NST private driver quote I got was 300 euros for 4. Our roll call is pretty quiet at this point (two weeks away) so not sure if I could put anything together to help with that cost for just two of us. I know CCers will pour cold water on this, but the ship's tour might be OK: pick up at the pier, stop at the winery, free time in Oia, and return for $85.

Hmmm...well, the more I hear about this, the better the ship's tour is looking! Originally, I thought hiking the 5 miles from Fira to Oia would be a fun adventure, but now, it seems like most of the time would be spent just getting there. (Rick Steves advises to allow 3.5 hours for one way.)

I would prefer not to rent a car. And, the NST private driver quote I got was 300 euros for 4. Our roll call is pretty quiet at this point (two weeks away) so not sure if I could put anything together to help with that cost for just two of us. I know CCers will pour cold water on this, but the ship's tour might be OK: pick up at the pier, stop at the winery, free time in Oia, and return for $85.

Santorini is an easy island to drive. But do advise getting an international driving permit from AAA for $15 as it is preferred over US liscense. We rented a Hyundaii Accent - automatic from Tony's for 50 euros. We shared it with another couple, so it was 25 each plus gas. The hike easily takes 3-1/2 hours from Fira to Oia. With a car you can go where ever you wish. We were only in Santorini from 7 - 5:00

Santorini is an easy island to drive. But do advise getting an international driving permit from AAA for $15 as it is preferred over US liscense. We rented a Hyundaii Accent - automatic from Tony's for 50 euros. We shared it with another couple, so it was 25 each plus gas. The hike easily takes 3-1/2 hours from Fira to Oia. With a car you can go where ever you wish. We were only in Santorini from 7 - 5:00

Thanks for the info, Pam. It does sound doable. Did you reserve the car in advance?

Thanks for the info, Pam. It does sound doable. Did you reserve the car in advance?

Yes from Tony's . They did not require any deposit. When my husband gave him the international permit, he said this is much better. Make sure you bring a copy of your insurance. He opens at 8. He sent a map and it was easy to find. Highly recommend.

• 2 weeks later...

We visited Santorini recently on Grandeur. Took the cable car to the top and then rode the local bus to Oia which was full but it's only about 20 minute journey. The views there are stunning and we took some wonderful pictures but we found the locals to be a little rude and only spent about an hour before returning to Fira. After a look around Fira and lunch we went to the cable car station for the trip back down to the tender dock. The queue was very long and we decided to walk down the steps instead. Now..... We knew there were 600 odd steps and that there were donkeys about but BE WARNED. The steps and very uneven and slippy and there is donkey poop everywhere so be prepared to take your time and watch where you are going. Having said all that the views are fab and we did laugh all the way down!:)

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know, once you have a taxi take you to Santo Winery from - say - Oia...is it then easy to grab another taxi back?

No, it is not. You are not going to find taxis just sitting around (outside of Fira) so you need to make arrangments for a return taxi. The driver of your taxi (to the winery) will normally come back (if you ask) although we have seen some taxis stand-up their fares (probably because they got a better fare). Sincce you will be at a winery they can always call you a taxi. One reason we often prefer to just rent a car on Santorini is that we do not have to hassle of taxis or waiting for a bus. In many cases a rental car is actually cheaper then using taxis if you are planning to go to a few places.

Hank

We rented a 4x4 and had a great time (stopping at Oia, Red Beach, and Santo Winery) before heading back to Fira.

Here is our Review of Santorini with Pictures:

http://mutiwindstar.shutterfly.com/santorini

----------------------------------

The first thing we saw was the amazing cliff below Fira... very beautiful. We caught the second tender at 9:00 am. I had really wanted to ride the donkeys up but when we arrived the smell really got to me so I opted for the cable car. With limited time in port this also made sense time wise. We were the only ship in port and the cable cars were quick and easy.

Once up top we walked around and found a scooter rental place. They would not rent us a scooter since my husband no longer had his motorcycle license so we rented an ATV. 30 Euro later, with helmets on, and we were on our way to Oia. We took the lower road by mistake, which was longer, but very scenic. We wound up at Amorandi Bay and walked around. It was really pretty with tavernas, fishing boats, and crystal clear water. We headed up to Oia, parked, and walked around the town for an hour or so. The side walks were marble, the buildings were white and the domes were blue. Very beautiful.

Our next stop was on the other side of the island, Red Beach. We took the upper road back and the trip was much faster. The drive was very scenic. When we arrived at Red Beach the parking lot was very crowded but we found a parking spot and hiked up over the ridge... We were rewarded with a beautiful view of red beach. It almost looks moon-like. A sheer cliff of red rock and the deep blue crystal clear water... Everything I had hoped it would be.

Time for lunch so we headed back towards Fira and ate at Panarama. Panarama had an amazing view of the cliffs of Santorini. The food was great. We had local favorites of Fava, fried tomato balls, and a Greek salad.

After lunch we headed to Santo Winery, which is perched on a cliff with amazing views as well. We sampled four wines, all of which we enjoyed.

Since the last tender was at 3:50 we headed back to Fira, returned the ATV, and headed into town. With a little time to spare we grabbed a beer and wine at one of the restaurants by the cable car. When we arrived at the bottom, Windstar had an umbrella and staff waiting for us. We tendered back to our home away from home and watched Santorini fade away as we sailed towards Rhodes.

Tonight we dined alone (date night :), it was another great dining experience on the Windstar.

We were in Santorini on Sep 10th and rented a car and droved to Oia, the lighthouse, stopped at Anna's a roadside stand (the one Giada Laurentis stopped at) for a delicious sampling of her sundried tomatos, olives and other delicacies on the way to the lighthouse, dipped our toes in the Mediterranean along the way, had lunch at a Taverna with an incredible view in Pirgos- picturesque hilltop village only accessible by walking and then went to Santos Winery for another beautiful view and wine tasting. We ended our day in Thira with some final souvenir shopping. It was easy to drive although we did get an international driving permit from AAA. Even though we got lost a few times on the way to the lighthouse, it was a spectacular day and our favorite stop! ENJOY!

This sounds tempting. Would you recommend doing it this way over a taxi?

ROCruiser- enjoyed your pictures i have a question when you went to athens did you do the tour through the cruise line or another company?

We are looking at taking a similar cruise next year but given all the strikes we are worried that our stop in athens will get cancelled and we would really like to visit athens

ROCruiser- enjoyed your pictures i have a question when you went to athens did you do the tour through the cruise line or another company?

We are looking at taking a similar cruise next year but given all the strikes we are worried that our stop in athens will get cancelled and we would really like to visit athens

Thank you, Estealvarado. Our tour was a private tour booked with Private Greece Tour http://www.privategreecetours.com/ . Niko was easy to work with. When we found out at check-in that our original date to Athens was called off because of a strike, he already emailed me telling me that they had cancelled our tour because of the strike. NCL then rescheduled the half-day visit to Athens two days later, so I asked him to arrange a tour for just half a day. He was wonderful in handling these changes. I have no problem recommending him. We saw almost everything we wanted in just a few hours. Of course, if we had more time, it would be better. We were a group of 8 family members and then a family of four from CC joined us. Would love to go back one of these days.

Archived