Are Disney cruises worth the premium price?

skudy

Hello everybody. We've been looking at cruises for a while. For previous cruises, we've picked them mostly on price (and fortunately we've had great experience). In fact, I love cruising.

So I'm wondering: Why a Disney cruise? What are the extras that you get in a disney cruise that you don't get elsewhere? Being price sensitive (we like to maximize our travel dollars), is it worth it to pay a premium for a disney experience versus, say a Celebrity cruise?

Thx for the input everyone.

Hello everybody. We've been looking at cruises for a while. For previous cruises, we've picked them mostly on price (and fortunately we've had great experience). In fact, I love cruising.

So I'm wondering: Why a Disney cruise? What are the extras that you get in a disney cruise that you don't get elsewhere? Being price sensitive (we like to maximize our travel dollars), is it worth it to pay a premium for a disney experience versus, say a Celebrity cruise?

Thx for the input everyone.

Disney cruise vs Celebrity cruise = 2 different experiences. The extra costs go into that "Disney experience" that you can't get anywhere else.

While I havn't cruised Celebrity, I've done DCL and HAL. And I would do both again. But tough to compare.

And I, also, love cruising.

:)

You might want to check the DCL site to check the Special Florida resident rates for many upcoming cruises. This will give you an idea of rates that may be more comparable to and competitive with other cruise lines. Hope this helps with your decisions!

I think the answer depends. We traditionally book NCL, but booked DCL for our next cruise purely due to dates. The whole idea of paying for the Disney "magic" doesn't interest me in the least. My boys (7&4 yrs) are not huge Disney fans, and we like exploring historical sites and museums as much as we like amusement parks. I like NCL because we can spend more of our vacation dollars on interesting excursions in port, rather than a fantastic ship. That being said, I'm sure we will enjoy our DCL cruise, but I don't see us doing another in the future, because their itineraries are boring.

The Florida Resident discount rate is better than I have ever seen it before! You have to go check it out!

We LOVE Celebrity (our favorite), and we are going in a month for the first time on the Disney Dream, our 5th Disney cruise. Obviously we love Disney too. Our just turned 7 year old daughter loves both cruise lines, and they are totally different cruising experiences.

We have always taken advantage of the FLR, but if I was considering paying full price for a Disney cruise and It was between that rate and probably a 2 week cruise on Celebrity for the same price, I would choose Celebrity.

I hope I have helped!:)

I asked this question before we left for our Disney cruise. Now that I'm back, I'll give you my opinion...it depends. We are veteran cruisers. I've been on NCL, Carnival, RCL, MSC, Celebrity, Princess, HAL, and now Disney so I can compare between them. If you have young children (<7). Sailing Disney is as important of a pilgrimage as going to Disney World/Land. It should happen at least once in your life. My 5yr old daughter loved the Disney cruise. The look on her face when she first saw Tinkerbell or when we rode the Aquaduck and she turned and said, Mommy I love this Disney ship, it's something I won't soon forget and neither will she. If you are big Disney fanatics, I think it would be worth it for that crowd too. If my husband and I were sailing sans kids or it was a girls trip, we wouldn't take Disney. The extra price tag is the reason we have passed over Disney many times and chosen other lines. It is also the reason that the next few cruises will likely not be Disney either. We could have taken 2-3, 3 night cruises for the price of this one. The reason we chose a 3 nighter is because I couldn't justify spending 7 nighter money just to try Disney. Perhaps that might be a suggestion for you and your family.

You do pay a premium on a Celebrity cruise that I'm not sure is worth it regularly either. In some ways Disney is refined as Celebrity but with the tons of young families its still a different environment. Disney creates a fairy tale setting and thinks of a lot of details that young families can appreciate. As I said in my review, top latches on balconies, shorter dinners, extended kids club hours, kiddie lo jacks, wave phones, stroller rentals, diaper genies upon request. I didn't have to leave any event because there was material that was inappropriate for my kids. Of course the Disney cast of characters you can't get anywhere else. Sometimes when I sail with my kids on other lines, I feel like other cruisers resent the presence of them. On Disney, we were the majority. There was a comfort in that. I wasn't self conscious about my infant crying in the middle of dinner. I knew the people around us, many had infants too, would understand. I appreciated the relaxed dress code. Without kids we appreciate formal nights etc, with kids it is often more of a chore to get two additional people ready. I would sail Disney again because it was an awesome cruise. However, like you- price and itinerary matter most to me so I can't imagine us ever being regulars.

I think it all comes down to what is important to do. We've been on a number of cruises and will be on our fourth Disney cruise in January. I haven't found the premium to be all that much higher, granted we usually book an inside for what we could get a verandah for on another line. Once, Disney was actually less because of a kids sail free promotion.

When comparing Disney to other lines, make sure you're comparing apples to apples. For instance, entertainment is much better on Disney in my opinion, which justifies the extra charge. In addition, soda is included, which is a minor charge that can add up. I've also found Disney excursion to cost less than other lines, although I often book independent depending on the port.

The real answers is that it depends, but keep things like quality of entertainment, first run movies, and things like that in mind.

I think it all comes down to what is important to do. We've been on a number of cruises and will be on our fourth Disney cruise in January. I haven't found the premium to be all that much higher, granted we usually book an inside for what we could get a verandah for on another line. Once, Disney was actually less because of a kids sail free promotion.

When comparing Disney to other lines, make sure you're comparing apples to apples. For instance, entertainment is much better on Disney in my opinion, which justifies the extra charge. In addition, soda is included, which is a minor charge that can add up. I've also found Disney excursion to cost less than other lines, although I often book independent depending on the port.

The real answers is that it depends, but keep things like quality of entertainment, first run movies, and things like that in mind.

regarding Soda - while it's true that on RCCL you have to buy the soda package, but when you do it means that you can order a soda in every bar you're in and it's included in the package....very convenient......

whereas on disney, you have to go up to the dispenser up on deck - something most people aren't going to do when they're headed to the bar for some R&R....

regarding Soda - while it's true that on RCCL you have to buy the soda package, but when you do it means that you can order a soda in every bar you're in and it's included in the package....very convenient......

whereas on disney, you have to go up to the dispenser up on deck - something most people aren't going to do when they're headed to the bar for some R&R....

True, but I've also found service to be spotty with the soda packages largely because using it doesn't generate a tip for the crew member serving you. I also tend to order soda at meals rather than at the bars. A plus for my child is that Shirley Temples are considered a soda at dinner. I've also found the bar prices, unless they've changed recently to be a little bit cheaper on Disney.

the only price difference is the cost of the Disney halo .....

you can do many many different vacation destinations, all of them wonderful, or you can 'do the Mouse' which is wonderful in its own way ... and that WAY comes at a price.

By my by-line you'll see I've cruised a bit. I've cruised cheap, I've cruised $$ and I've cruised DCL which, by the way, fell in the middle!

When we decided to cruise with kids, after having cruised many times without/b4, Disney was in our opinion the ONLY choice. 30 years ago cruise ships were NOT kid friendly. The 'Big Red Boat' was the experiment to break that stereotype and that begot Disney Magic. We knew th BRB cuz we lived in Canaveral when it was here .. not interested at the time but the concept was good. Being Disney fans we knew when Disney did 'the whole thing' they'd do it right. Our inagural cruises on M and W, and several after did not disappoint. So much so that just last year our son took his honeymoon on Magic in the Med.

Today, spousal unit and I have little interest in DCL. We no longer 'need' the Disney halo .... we're not hardcore Disney groopies .... and for the same money (or more) can sail other lines that cater to our tastes (WindStar is a fav')

long way to say ... you live close to Canaveral? You can take an RCL cruise of X days for Y dollars; and you can add Disney topping $$$$$$ if you like.

My folks took 2 cruises, Hal 30 years ago and Disney Wonder this year..both to Alaska. Dad was a little upset when he started seeing prices being better on other lines.

This however was an outside cabin on a more economy area with a loading door close to it and they had a red week RCI discount they could use. There was one admittedly by her father unmanageable kid at their moving dinner table..you move around dining rooms. They took that in their stride however..and could have made a fuss and changed tables if it had been worse. They were taking the last of seven grandchildren on a trip... each when 12 years old . They did 3 excursions all planned through Disney.

Mom was wobbly and needed a wheelchair for long distances with her feet issues and was surprised that she could even be accommodated on one dogsled team visit excursion that my niece adored...she thought they would not be able to help her when needing a chair then.

They had a wonderful time...the cabin was quiet even close to this door, the set-up gave the 12 year old special space when needed with the curtains and window, mom could be close to bathroom..the one and a half baths perfect. The free chocolate chip cookies, hot chocolate with scenery in some special quiet spot they found one close flight of stairs niece took to get the treats, soda, and lovely meals. The waiters did special things to ease it with the wild kid....I just know that amongst several alone trips, a few family trips, winters in Arizona the past 18 years; and summers the past 30 years at a family cabin my folks had quality trips..and 2 high quality cruises...one with 2 of 4 daughters and one with one of their daughters...MOM: "a child of my child is twice my child." My dad is not the Disney type, but after he did it really liked it...and he knows he saved a fortune on drinks...

Sadly my mom took ill 12 hrs after they returned and was gone 30 days later. The Disney suitcase remains unpacked with the souvenirs...too hard on dad..he fell apart and says he does not think he can cruise again...it was very good, I think he will get over that..i said , do you still eat steak??..and they felt the same way about the luxuries on the Hal one. A far cry from dad's working there as geologist in 1958.

My whole family together had a few splurges in travel and mostly did a family cabin and trailer, but we were careful and the splurges could grow a little over the years..I just think everyone owes it to themselves to get a premium travel option with the fine better budget ones once in awhile if possible...and the difference ended up really being a final blessed trip with my folks just short of their 54th and one of their kids...Godspeed mom, go op, if you can..Sarah

The entertainment is better. Much better, for the most part. That includes the deck parties and the fireworks, which are outstanding.

The food is good but not better than Celebrity. The ships are very nice but most new cruise ships are very nice.

I think you would need to get a good price or a promotion such as kids sail free. Otherwise, I just can't see how its worth the premium fee, even with the Mouse. There is definitely something magical about the experience but the non-discounted rates can be shockingly high.

I agree that it depends, but also that for parents with kids, it's like a rite of passage. Doesn't have to be little kids either.

I'm a veteran cruiser. 2nd generation if you will. My parents took me on the Big Red Boat when I was around 10. Did my first Disney Cruise in college (and had a blast, with that cruise still being my favorite of all time). In the meantime, I've also done Norwegian and a bunch of Princess cruises.

Normally, I'm price sensitive too, to a certain degree. That's why I cruise Princess so much. Convenient itineraries and solid value. I'd love to cruise RCL, but it always seems to have a slight price premium compared to the Princess cruises I look at. That's why I'm a Princess regular.

Still, Disney has a unique niche.

Admittedly, I'm a Disney fan. I dunno that I'd call myself a groupie though. I'm a 2nd gen Disneyland cast member and think it's clearly the best theme park company but don't collect their stuff or anything (other than some movies for my kids).

Since I like Disney stuff tho, I like the Disney cruises. I appreciate all the hidden Mickeys and stuff, altho I don't go jumping for joy or actively search for them. I like their decoration and like how it's classy (and old school nautical) yet still has some Disney touches in them. However, I really appreciate how the ship is run. Things like the embarkation/debarkation process. The rotating restaurants where the waiters rotate with you (I am firmly in the set dining time camp and see freestyle dining as a major negative). The quality of the shows.

I understand there's a BIG premium, but I also see the difference. Is it worth double or triple the cost of a comparable Princess cruise? Maybe, maybe not. Is a 5 series BMW worth double or triple the cost of a Toyota Camry? Maybe, maybe not. But, I can notice a sizeable difference between the two.

So, since I'm not opposed to paying more for luxury items, even if the value isn't necessarily commensurate with the increase in price, I think a Disney cruise is worth it on rare occasions, but I don't think I could be a regular on it. We're going on my second Disney cruise in November and it's to give my kids their taste of Disney cruising. Depending on how they like it, we may go again in 5-10 years.

I agree that it depends, but also that for parents with kids, it's like a rite of passage. Doesn't have to be little kids either.

I'm a veteran cruiser. 2nd generation if you will. My parents took me on the Big Red Boat when I was around 10. Did my first Disney Cruise in college (and had a blast, with that cruise still being my favorite of all time). In the meantime, I've also done Norwegian and a bunch of Princess cruises.

Normally, I'm price sensitive too, to a certain degree. That's why I cruise Princess so much. Convenient itineraries and solid value. I'd love to cruise RCL, but it always seems to have a slight price premium compared to the Princess cruises I look at. That's why I'm a Princess regular.

Still, Disney has a unique niche.

Admittedly, I'm a Disney fan. I dunno that I'd call myself a groupie though. I'm a 2nd gen Disneyland cast member and think it's clearly the best theme park company but don't collect their stuff or anything (other than some movies for my kids).

Since I like Disney stuff tho, I like the Disney cruises. I appreciate all the hidden Mickeys and stuff, altho I don't go jumping for joy or actively search for them. I like their decoration and like how it's classy (and old school nautical) yet still has some Disney touches in them. However, I really appreciate how the ship is run. Things like the embarkation/debarkation process. The rotating restaurants where the waiters rotate with you (I am firmly in the set dining time camp and see freestyle dining as a major negative). The quality of the shows.

I understand there's a BIG premium, but I also see the difference. Is it worth double or triple the cost of a comparable Princess cruise? Maybe, maybe not. Is a 5 series BMW worth double or triple the cost of a Toyota Camry? Maybe, maybe not. But, I can notice a sizeable difference between the two.

So, since I'm not opposed to paying more for luxury items, even if the value isn't necessarily commensurate with the increase in price, I think a Disney cruise is worth it on rare occasions, but I don't think I could be a regular on it. We're going on my second Disney cruise in November and it's to give my kids their taste of Disney cruising. Depending on how they like it, we may go again in 5-10 years.

I have been on ohhh 6 cruises I think now..not all one week long..and over 30 years..so lots to go...you put it very well for the question IMHO...similar to what I am trying to say to OP...I have been on a 3 night mini-suite on Star Princess when new...I loved Princess..very nice quality for money...i want to get my dad to Caribbean on a deal we can find with them...he will be surprised and I think like it...after my folks experience, I know I want to try Disney someday and other cruise lines...I loved my 2 each visits to Disneyland and Disney World...Sarah

The one thing Disney has going for it that the other lines don't, is Castaway Cay. By far, this is the reason we rebooked on DCL. Food is ok, I didn't care for the dining room food the last time but Palo was amazing. The buffet is much better on DCL than any other ship I've been on.

Castaway Cay is a TRUE private island, not a private part of the island. They have a strict adults-only beach. They have meals completely included over there with the same waitstaff as the ship. There is a family beach and a teen beach. This one stop was the reason we chose to go back on DCL.

The ship itself is very nice. The adult-only pool is truly adult only, they kick the kids out the second they step foot in that area. My daughter loved the teen club there more than any other cruise line she's been on.

It's a different experience than other lines. If we had little kids then it would be hands-down my first choice but we tend to go with what works for our schedule when choosing the cruise to take.

We are confirmed cruisers on our two favorite lines: Disney Cruise Line and Celebrity Cruise Line. When we are interested in an excellent cruise line to take us to various ports; then, it is Celebrity. When we want to enjoy the "Disney Magic" including the Broadway style shows, we sail Disney Cruise Line. We have taken 17 Disney cruises and a about 12 Celebrity cruises. I highly recommend both depending on what you want.:)

For me, it depends on how much of a premium (%-wise and $-wise) you are paying comparing to your benchmark cruise, and how you value the different aspects of a cruise. I have done RCI, HAL and DCL, paying different per diem cost for each of them, and like all of them for different reasons.

I love Disney theme parks and enjoy Disney cruises. I can't say I "love" DCL yet, after three 4-night Bahamas cruises. Maybe I'll feel differently after my 7-night Fantasy or 14-night Magic Transatlantic cruises. I am willing to pay a bit more to sail on the newer Disney ships out of Port Canaveral, but I wouldn't pay a premium for a port-intensive European cruise on DCL.

I have also enjoyed my cruises on HAL, Royal Caribbean, Princess, and Celebrity, and I have future cruises booked on all four.

I love DCL, but I book during off-peak and an inside stateroom to get the best deal. This time (learned my lesson), I'll be booking our next DCL cruise onboard to get the 10% off with onboard credit and then rebook with my travel agent to get an additional onboard credit - since we want to go to Alaska.

I know DCL is a lot more expensive than other cruise ships, but I love the atmosphere and the look on my family's faces because they are all having such a great time. So it's worth the $$$ to me.

Our friends just got back from DCL Mexico and it was the best trip they have ever taken so they booked another one. My in-laws didn't think they would like cruising, and they loved their last trip with us that they're going on DCL again.

Archived