Another San Francisco question

susie8862

Even if the hotel has free parking that does not always mean you can leave your car there for free while you cruise.

The hotels that have those sorts of pkgs. are closer to the airport.

Not staying here while we cruise. It is a post cruise stay... wanted to see the sights of San Fran while we are on the West Coast......but thank you.

I misunderstood because most folks don't rent cars to see the city. It is a real pain to drive around to sights and park.

I've lived in the SF Bay Area and made frequent trips into San Francisco for the last 30 years. Driving and parking is a complete headache, nightmare, you name it. Most of the people I know who live there don't even have cars, or if they do, only use them for trips outside the city. Cabs can also be hard to come by and do not always show up if you phone them. For instance, I was taking friends visiting from Colorado around Fisherman's Wharf one day when a very rare cloudburst occurred, leaving everyone on the street drenched. There were about 40 people waiting at the taxi stand (it was about 11:00 am) and not a single cab appeared for at least 20 minutes--this in one of the biggest tourist areas anywhere. I would recommend anyone planning to do a lot of sightseeing on their own in SF to get acquainted with Muni and BART. Public transportation is really the best way to get around.

I live in sf and we drive all over town. but you have to plan parking before you go and be prepared to pay. there are garages all over...and if you leave the northeast side/financial district/union square...you can find parking. muni/bart is good for the tourist areas....

but really...it is not that hard. you need to watch for bikers...and just pay attention.

I've lived in the SF Bay Area and made frequent trips into San Francisco for the last 30 years. Driving and parking is a complete headache, nightmare, you name it. Most of the people I know who live there don't even have cars, or if they do, only use them for trips outside the city. Cabs can also be hard to come by and do not always show up if you phone them. For instance, I was taking friends visiting from Colorado around Fisherman's Wharf one day when a very rare cloudburst occurred, leaving everyone on the street drenched. There were about 40 people waiting at the taxi stand (it was about 11:00 am) and not a single cab appeared for at least 20 minutes--this in one of the biggest tourist areas anywhere. I would recommend anyone planning to do a lot of sightseeing on their own in SF to get acquainted with Muni and BART. Public transportation is really the best way to get around.

I was surprised at your comment about cabs are hard to come by .... does this mean there will be issues from the airport to our hotel and from our hotel back to the airport? Could look into a driver/shuttle preplanned, just didn't think cabs would be any type of issue there.

I would think the lack of taxis at the airport was an anomaly but haven't use one from there. When we landed at OAK, we went into SF via a shuttle we booked at the airport. My wife didn't want to take the shuttle plus BART with our bags. We went fromour hotel to SFO via a Town Car booked by the hotel. It did cost morel than a shared van shuttle, but I decided to splurge. Again, wife didn't want to take BART with our bags (many people do use it to SFO, however). I agree there's no real need to have a car to tour SF. For BART, see http://www.bart.gov (and note it's not the same system as Muni).

I think at sfo you can always find a cab...they want the pricey trip from sfo to the city. it is on the streets on a weekend with bad weather that is difficult...

same way..a cab to the airport should be ok...but friday night in the rain...there are not enough cabs. more cabs are coming...but it is all very political. get the hotel to arrange a cab or other way to airport.

around town..with no luggage..muni works well. or cabs during the day...

Thanks ... not worried about while we are in SF, just to and from Airport to hotel etc and from hotel to the pier (no shuttle at the hotel).

We've have very good luck with Execucar ... I just might look into them or other towncar service a little closer to the trip.

Archived