Husband wants to bring knife?

amocksun

We're going on our second cruise in a few weeks, (Carnival, leaving from Canaveral, going to Bahamas) and my husband is paranoid about being in the Bahamas with our child and wants to buy a small knife to carry to calm his fears. He's looking at ones that won't set the metal detector off.

Obviously, I'm pretty annoyed with all this but he's insisting that I ask: is there anyway that we will be thrown off the cruise or anything if this was found?

Thanks! I saw on Carnival's site that a less than 4" knife is allowed, but that they would keep it while on the ship and let you have it in port, for diving.

So what happened at the metal detectors? They saw it and let you have it, or it didn't even set it off?

My opinion is that you should leave the knife at home. Trying to get a knife on board that can't be picked through a scan is giving a vey bad message to someone who might find it through a luggage search.

I think having a weapon could endanger you even more. His paranoia could make him see danger in all kinds of situations. He might pull a knife on an aggressive vendor trying to sell you something. IMHO, even if you were accosted by someone trying to steal from you letting them have whatever they wanted is a lot safer than pulling a weapon and getting in an altercation. You have a child with you.

Does your husband generally carry a weapon on his person when he is out an about on his home turf?

Knives with blades less than 4" are allowed, no need to try to hide just a simple pocket knife or purchase one that could avoid detection.

Nassau is not really that dangerous and I can't imagine a scenario that your husband wouldn't be in more jeopardy attempting to use a knive rather than just give up the cash that you are being robbed for.

No, he doesn't. The whole thing is that his sister and her kids are in Syria, and his concern about them is manifesting itself in paranoia about the Bahamas. He knows that's why he's feeling this way, but still wants to bring one. I really don't think he would start an altercation - I've never seen him do that. He just feels helpless about his sister and doesn't want to feel helpless if someone tried to come at us or something in the Bahamas.

My opinion is that you should leave the knife at home. Trying to get a knife on board that can't be picked through a scan is giving a vey bad message to someone who might find it through a luggage search.

I think having a weapon could endanger you even more. His paranoia could make him see danger in all kinds of situations. He might pull a knife on an aggressive vendor trying to sell you something. IMHO, even if you were accosted by someone trying to steal from you letting them have whatever they wanted is a lot safer than pulling a weapon and getting in an altercation. You have a child with you.

Does your husband generally carry a weapon on his person when he is out an about on his home turf?

Ok, so I'm seeing that people do bring them, that's good. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't get us arrested or something crazy. I suppose it's not a bad idea to have one.

He's got some regular folding pocket knives that are smaller than 4". So should I just carry one of those on, and save our money on the ones that avoid detection?

Ok, so I'm seeing that people do bring them, that's good. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't get us arrested or something crazy. I suppose it's not a bad idea to have one.

He's got some regular folding pocket knives that are smaller than 4". So should I just carry one of those on, and save our money on the ones that avoid detection?

Just keep in mind that if he pulls it out in the bahamas.. he will be arrested and detained. Even if he feels justified.

There is NO reason to bring a knive into Nassau unless you are diving.

This is not Syria.

I know, Scubagirl. I'm pretty irritated with this. We went to Cozumel and went off on our own a couple years ago, and he was fine with it. That's a good point, though. I'd imagine it would be a pretty big deal to be detained there too...

Better if he just stays onboard

If he pulls a knife on someone due to his perceived danger then he will be staying in the Bahamas courtesy of the local police

Leave the knife at home or stay on the ship

JMO

Knives with blades less than 4" are allowed, no need to try to hide just a simple pocket knife or purchase one that could avoid detection.

Nassau is not really that dangerous and I can't imagine a scenario that your husband wouldn't be in more jeopardy attempting to use a knive rather than just give up the cash that you are being robbed for.

So knives are now being made and advertised that can specifically avoid detection in a metal detector?

We're going on our second cruise in a few weeks, (Carnival, leaving from Canaveral, going to Bahamas) and my husband is paranoid about being in the Bahamas with our child and wants to buy a small knife to carry to calm his fears. He's looking at ones that won't set the metal detector off.

Obviously, I'm pretty annoyed with all this but he's insisting that I ask: is there anyway that we will be thrown off the cruise or anything if this was found?

I looked up "homicide rates by country", and found the Bahamas have a homicide rate several times greater than the US. Put into perspective, it is an increase in risk similair to what a Londoner would experience if he were to visit the US.

I've often wondered how cruise ships could be so relatively crime free when so few of the passengers were armed. If we could arm more passengers, would the crime rate be lower?

Personally, if I feel the need to be armed to go some place, I won't go there.

Wouldn't pepper spray be better in case of robbery attempt?

Wouldn't pepper spray be better in case of robbery attempt?

Wouldn't "just don't get off the boat" or "use a ship-sponsored excursion" be a better option than getting pepper spray in your kid's eyes?

Pepper spray doesn't just hit one person... it's a cloud effect.

My DH brought his pocket knife by accident. It was in packed luggage for a trip we had taken to see his family and forgot to unpack it before packing for the cruise. The cruise ship held the knife for the entire cruise. On disembarkation day, we had forgotten about it. When we went to leave the ship, an alarm went off on what should have been the last time my DH ran his cruise card to disembark. We were pulled off to the side and had to wait until the knife was given back.

If your DH is that worried about your family and wants a weapon* for protection, you should reconsider where you are going on vacation. Also, if your DH isn't trained with that weapon, that weapon can easily be turned against you.

*I'm using the term weapon here because it sounds like he wants it for protection.

Archived