Husband wants to bring knife?

amocksun

Bahamas Law, Chapter 213 Part VI, Section 30 prohibits any kind of propellant including mace or pepper spray. Violation calls for a $10,000 fine and up to 20 years in prison.

As far as knives, switchblades are illegal in the Bahamas, and they only allow knives less than four inches. But, it's been reported that visitors have been hassled by security persons for taking knives off the ship unless it's specifically for diving.

I think there's more going on here with the OP's husband. Unless he's planning on going off the beaten trail, there's no problem in Nassau. If you don't mess with drug sellers, and stay in the tourist areas, it's safe.

Just because the cruiseline allows you to bring a knife with a 4" or less blade onboard does not mean it is legal for you to bring that same knife into a foreign country especially if it is to be used for self defense. I know many people bring knives for diving on vacations but others have posted on here how they are handled. Just because you can legally carry a knife on your person here in the U.S. does not mean you can do so in another country. If you are flying to get to the cruise it would need to be in your checked luggage to even make it to the ship.

Thank You... a smart post.. !!! I see the OP never did say where they are traveling too...

Be Safe and Enjoy

Rev. Tom

I am traveling to The Bahamas. and reading up on the dangers there all say .. To travel in groups and try not to be in certain areas at night .. ( My cruise is during the days only )

And as for only doing the ship excursions..( I am not sure which one ) is being sued right now from a family in the cribbean (on a ship excursion ) that was driving in a bus tour. and there was a gang funeral that they just happen to be passing . when a rival gang openned fire and a stray bullet killed a kid on the tour bus. So not saying a Knife would of helped at all !!!! Its More about being safe on a tour. and you need to WATCH your back. and the more people ( eyes ) will always help . Sorry if this posts upsets anyone.. it comes from USAF , then police, Now a man of the cloth....:cool:

Rev. Tom

Ok, so I'm seeing that people do bring them, that's good. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't get us arrested or something crazy. I suppose it's not a bad idea to have one.

He's got some regular folding pocket knives that are smaller than 4". So should I just carry one of those on, and save our money on the ones that avoid detection?

I am not familiar with any knife that would avoid detection by Metal Detectors. And I believe that if there were any (at least in the US) that they would be considered illegal weapons and might subject him to arrest and detention.

I am not familiar with any knife that would avoid detection by Metal Detectors. And I believe that if there were any (at least in the US) that they would be considered illegal weapons and might subject him to arrest and detention.

There is MANY knifes out there, that are not METAL .. look at chef knifes and hunting knifes made of CERMIC. they will still look like a knife in a scanner . but since there is no metal it won't set off a metal detector... And in the USA they are not illegal !

In no way am I saying, you can take it into a country that will hang you for having it.. but they are out there :cool:

A cane could be very handy. Many large cities have classes on using a cane as a defensive weapon. And a person can take a cane almost everywhere. Some companies like Cold Steel make canes specifically made for defensive use.

Also; I always bring a small high intensity flashlight. Very good anyway to keep in your room or if out in the evening. Get one with a strobe option. The strobe is very disorientating! (Try it on your spouse sometime.)

I have no problems with someone wanting to have some defensive knowledge and tools, where ever they are. But some brains have to go with that also.

I always carry two wallets with me when travelling. One has my real stuff and is small and in my front pocket. The other has a about ten dollars in ones, several of those fake credit cards in the name of ‘John Doe” that you always get in the mail. Some other nonsense papers, etc. If confronted for your wallet, back away, toss the fake one on the ground a few feet away from them (do not hand it to them) and leave with haste.

Just my 2 cents.

As a martial artist, I would agree with others that have said that a self-defense class would be more appropriate. Not only could he learn to defend himself and his family in a dangerous situation, but he could learn how to avoid that situation in the first place! It might also teach him why carrying a knife for self-defense without specific training might be a really bad idea.

A cane could be very handy. Many large cities have classes on using a cane as a defensive weapon. And a person can take a cane almost everywhere. Some companies like Cold Steel make canes specifically made for defensive use.

Also; I always bring a small high intensity flashlight. Very good anyway to keep in your room or if out in the evening. Get one with a strobe option. The strobe is very disorientating! (Try it on your spouse sometime.)

I have no problems with someone wanting to have some defensive knowledge and tools, where ever they are. But some brains have to go with that also.

I always carry two wallets with me when travelling. One has my real stuff and is small and in my front pocket. The other has a about ten dollars in ones, several of those fake credit cards in the name of ‘John Doe” that you always get in the mail. Some other nonsense papers, etc. If confronted for your wallet, back away, toss the fake one on the ground a few feet away from them (do not hand it to them) and leave with haste.

Just my 2 cents.

Pretty novel thinking there by carrying a throw down wallet. Very smart in advising to toss the wallet to the ground and not hand it over thereby avoiding physical contact with the thief. Can you imagine the look on the crook's face when he see's a bunch of fake credit cards and only $10 in one's. :D

• 4 months later...

This thread has gotten a little off topic, to be expected... it is fairly dated.. although it is the newest when searching the topic.

(DH Talking)

I have ALWAYS traveled with several knives; Tools. Usually a large folding knife, SAK, and Leatherman. I ALWAYS put them in checked baggage inside my small "toiletries" bag. Ive never had any problems, But they stay in the cabin.

I plan on taking the same accouterment on my next cruise.

I was curious about taking the SAK off the ship on Ports of Call. Sounds like worst case they confiscate it and give it back at the end of the cruise, but honestly I dont even want to go through that.

Would it cause a problem if a Swiss Army Knife would happen to be in my backpack when leave/returning to the ship in port?

what about something as simple as pepper spray i would rather see that then a knife.... but i am not sure the rules on pepper spray on a cruise either.

Pepper spray isnt going to cut a pesky tag/thread, tighten loose eye glasses, open a bottle of wine/beer....

SAK would be my LAST choice for self defense..

My knives are tools, not weapons... :)

Unless you wander away from the main areas, where ALL the tourists go,there will be no problem in Nassau or Freeport. There will be tourists eveywhere, shopping and sight seeing. I can't tell you how many times we've been to Nassau and we have NEVER seen or heard of any crimes. And how much protection will you get from a knive with a blade shorter than 4"?

Ok everyone, put the 4" fangs away and let's address the original question...crime in the Bahamas!

To the OP, we have been to the Bahamas on a number of occasions and have never felt uncomfortable, but that may not ally your husband's fears, but this might.... Since tourism is big business in the Bahamas, they take crime against a tourist VERY seriously! Penalties are swift and harsh!

You may hear crime statistics, but most are islander on islander, few dare to touch the tourist, as they know better!

Hope that helps and you forgive all the snarky comments.

what about something as simple as pepper spray i would rather see that then a knife.... but i am not sure the rules on pepper spray on a cruise either.

Two sets of rules matter. The cruise rules are the minor ones. The national laws of the sovereign countries you visit on the cruise is the far more important aspect that many tourists ignore blindly.

A less than 4 inch knife is a very good defensive weapon. The attacker will probably die laughing. :rolleyes:

LOL -- brings to mind that famous scene from Crocodile Dundee: "Now THAT'S a knife!" :p

To the OP -- even if something is "legal", it does not necessarily make it "advisable". If you and your family apply the same common sense in the Bahamas that you normally use at home, you should have no need for defensive weapons. I agree with the poster who said that any weapon you have not been properly trained in the use of can be more dangerous to you than not having one at all. :eek:

Bottom line, if any of you feels all that uncomfortable about any particular port, just stay on the ship that day. With most of the pax onshore, the ship will feel like your private yacht, for a day! :cool:

To the OP -- even if something is "legal", it does not necessarily make it "advisable". If you and your family apply the same common sense in the Bahamas that you normally use at home, you should have no need for defensive weapons. I agree with the poster who said that any weapon you have not been properly trained in the use of can be more dangerous to you than not having one at all. :eek:

OP went on their cruise the beginning of October. Assume they made it back alive.

My DH brought his pocket knife by accident. It was in packed luggage for a trip we had taken to see his family and forgot to unpack it before packing for the cruise. .

I just happened to be re-reading this thread (don't know why) but saw this sentence. That must be some family if you need protection to visit.

Just my 2 cents.

This was interesting, because in another window on my computer, I was just reading the info about my daughter's school's spring formal. Among the items listed as being taboo were "canes." I'm guessing if you have a doctor's note for a medical condition, this shouldn't be a problem, but has this been a problem...oh, wait, we're talking about teenagers.:eek::rolleyes:

Is anyone reading before posting? The OP posted almost 5 Months ago...

I revived to ask a question about this topic.

I am not concerned about self defense...

You resurrect a thread about self defense after 5 months saying you don't care about self defense and then criticize us?

I always carry a pocket knife, but I don't take it with me on the ship. I just always figured they would take it and I'd lose it when I tried to board the ship with it. I also have a conceal and carry permit, so I sometimes have a gun on me depending on where I'm going (At home). I would love to be able to carry when getting off in port but I know I can't. I had a Jamaican cab driver charge me more than he quoted me and got in an argument with him and I just gave in and paid him eventually but it's situations like that where I wish I had something just in case he flipped out on me and tried something crazy.

Archived