question about travel insurance

csk

we have a free cruise which is nonrefunded for any reason under 30 days before the cruise if we book travel insurance can we insurance it for the price that is it for purchasing the cruise, that way if we have to cancel we can get money to rebook the same iternary. we always have travel insurance, just never a free cruise

we have a free cruise which is nonrefunded for any reason under 30 days before the cruise if we book travel insurance can we insurance it for the price that is it for purchasing the cruise, that way if we have to cancel we can get money to rebook the same iternary. we always have travel insurance, just never a free cruise

Not through the cruise line that is a given. Insurance covers you for what you stand to lose - a grey line in your case. If you put a value down - and cancel - you will have to provide the insurance company with a dated and current statement from the cruise line saying what your loss was. I wonder what happens with the cancel for any reason policies that some companies offer..

Was the trip a gift, a prize or compensation from the cruise line - my guess that might impact it as well; that and the that the state laws that govern you -- why not just call Travel Guard, Access America or whoever and ask them - they will be the ones to pay you and will have that answer better than us !!

You lost nothing, you gain nothing. Sorry if it was "Free" that is what you get. File an insurance claim and even that wont be refunded so you will actually pay the insurance premium for the cruise you didn't take. Now if you have nonrefundable hotel or airfare that might be insurable. Read and understand your insurance.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Lets hope your medical insurance will pay for care out of the US with Medicare does not. Have you ever looked at the cost of being medivaced from a cruise ship. This service can cost tens of thousands of dollars. For $100 or so you would be covered for that service along with the missed portion of your cruise. I know purchasing travel insurance is a personal choice but if you need it and don't have you may change your mind in the future.

Happy Travel.

Answer about travel insurance. It's a ripoff any way you look at it.

BUT! That rip off makes a lot of people around here feel better!:D

I wish I could sell it to all the suckers!:rolleyes:

that would be an interesting thread -- who has had to use it and what they thought

A friend who spent 3 weeks in a French hospital, nurse and first class on the trip home and got over $25,000 back - wasn't too much of a sucker !!

Airlifting off a ship or island - even nearby - is a cash operation!! I would want that $ back pretty quickly myself

If you put a value down - and cancel - you will have to provide the insurance company with a dated and current statement from the cruise line saying what your loss was. I wonder what happens with the cancel for any reason policies that some companies offer..

Insurers don't care about some hypothetical "value" of your loss. All they're interested in is your actual loss. This loss must be substantiated by copies of your credit card statements or cancelled checks. If you can't provide those you have no claim. The "Cancel For Any Reason" plans are the same. If you can't prove an actual dollar loss backed up with proof of payment you're out of luck.

Insurers don't care about some hypothetical "value" of your loss. All they're interested in is your actual loss. This loss must be substantiated by copies of your credit card statements or cancelled checks. If you can't provide those you have no claim. The "Cancel For Any Reason" plans are the same. If you can't prove an actual dollar loss backed up with proof of payment you're out of luck.

This is a time I agree with the insurers. That is how it should be IMO

Answer about travel insurance. It's a ripoff any way you look at it.

BUT! That rip off makes a lot of people around here feel better!:D

I wish I could sell it to all the suckers!:rolleyes:

I happen to agree with you about insuring the price of the cruise for cancellation or interruption. Presumably one can afford that cruise or they would not have booked it. Also presumably, they have comfortably deducted those funds from their assets and can survive the loss.

However, I disagree when it comes to being sure one has medical and evacuation/repatriation coverage. That can be substantial funds and that is where the REAL losses can hurt very deeply. Few of us can easily lay out

$50k or $60k and potentially much more for medical evacuation or medical care outside our home country without feeling that pinch a bit.

If someone is comfortable self-insuring for that kind of exposure, good for them but hopefully they have made a carefully considered choice...... and don't live (or die) regretting it.

JMO.....

I have written here a number of times we never insure the price of our trips as we started self-insuring them many dozens of cruises ago. Luckily for us, it worked out well. We never left the country without knowing we had medical and evacuation coverage.

Archived