VAT on whole beverage package out of Barcelona ?

odysee

I am aware that when cruising out of Spain, there is a 8 % VAT added to bills.

Arriving in Spain after TA, this was added to all drinks purchased when ship was close to land or in Spanish ports.

Now on cruise leaving from Barcelona, if I buy a beverage package for the whole cruise and do this before sail away in Barcelona, will they slap on 8 % on the price for the whole package ?

What about internet package purchased on first day ?

Who has experienced this and what is advice - wait until enough miles out of Spain or until 2nd day to buy these packages ?

by-the-way I want to use some OBC for the beverage package therefore can not order it on-line in advance.

My advice, since you know already that you won't buy the package pre-cruise, is to wait until you are on board and ask Guest Relations before you buy a package and if the tax is being charge while the ship is still in port when will the tax not be charged....an hour into the cruise, or two hours or whatever.

I seem to remember reading somewhere (altho it was probably on the Royal Caribbean boards) that charges for such items are not added until the ship is out of Spanish waters, precisely to avoid having to pay the 8%. It may be worth checking whether this is the case.

We bought the dinner package and a wine tasting event in port and we were not charged taxes as the staff waited until the ship is out of the Spanish water to enter the purchases in the system. They did not run our seapass, they wrote our info on a piece of paper.

That's what they do in many other ports too. Must be a big PITA having to enter everything after departure. :eek:

I Hate VAT, One of the reasons I will not cruise out of Spain.

Likewise, although most cruises now seem to be getting round it by calling in at least one port which isn't part of the EU -this means the 8% doesn't have to be paid on all onboard purchases.

Archived