Crown Princess Matresses ??

Luv2escape

We are sailing in Jan 2013 aboard Crown princess in a Caribe cat BB cabin. Is there anyone out there who has sailed her recently? Need to know if the mattresses have been replaced? Last trip we both went home with sore backs and a hefty bill at our chiropractor's office. I have packed a memory foam topper before and just left it aboard ( for cabin steward ) but am wondering if I should do that this time around. It gets to be a hassle with baggage restrictions on the planes as we have to fly to Houston.

Just sailed on the Crown in February. I don't actually know if the mattresses were new but I do know that my wife and I enjoyed excellent sleep each night. However I have never had a problem sleeping on a Princess mattress. Will be back on the Crown in several weeks and will try to remember to check on your question.

Also on the Crown from Galveston 1/5/13 in cat. BB (booked a guarantee in BG so happy with what we ended up!). Also wondering about the beds. Thinking of bringing our own pillows as that seems to make a difference especially if the mattress happens not to be the best.

Have read elsewhere that egg crate foam is available by request of cabin steward but likely first come basis. Maybe check other CC threads to confirm. Don't forget to ask for a top sheet to be added if you want that; I have to kick off the covers but still like a sheet at least!

Also on the Crown from Galveston 1/5/13 in cat. BB (booked a guarantee in BG so happy with what we ended up!). Also wondering about the beds. Thinking of bringing our own pillows as that seems to make a difference especially if the mattress happens not to be the best.

Have read elsewhere that egg crate foam is available by request of cabin steward but likely first come basis. Maybe check other CC threads to confirm. Don't forget to ask for a top sheet to be added if you want that; I have to kick off the covers but still like a sheet at least!

Just off the Crown 9/9 Med sailing. Had a balcony cabin aft on Aloha deck (A743). After the first two nights sailing, I requested the egg crate from our steward, it made sleeping much more comfortable. I probably should have requested it during my initial conversation with the cabin steward (Reynaldo). I also requested better pillows and received them promptly.

I've read mixed reports from all the ships that some cabins have better mattresses and some don't. What feels good to one person may not feel good to another. I have a 14 day cruise coming up and I just went out today and bought a foam topper to take with me. The cruise line has some toppers, but some of them are worthless and some are better. They're probably from people who leave them on board like I have, so quality and wear will vary. I decided I'd rather be safe than sorry and I'll take a topper with me. It's a small price to pay for a decent sleep on vacation.

Just off the Crown 9/9 Med sailing. Had a balcony cabin aft on Aloha deck (A743). After the first two nights sailing, I requested the egg crate from our steward, it made sleeping much more comfortable. I probably should have requested it during my initial conversation with the cabin steward (Reynaldo). I also requested better pillows and received them promptly.

My daughter and I were aft on Aloha in Rey's section in July as well. We had the mattress toppers on our beds and thought they were very comfy. Rey did a great job and we had a lovely cruise.

We are sailing in Jan 2013 aboard Crown princess in a Caribe cat BB cabin. Is there anyone out there who has sailed her recently? Need to know if the mattresses have been replaced? Last trip we both went home with sore backs and a hefty bill at our chiropractor's office. I have packed a memory foam topper before and just left it aboard ( for cabin steward ) but am wondering if I should do that this time around. It gets to be a hassle with baggage restrictions on the planes as we have to fly to Houston.

We're not just roll call and ship mates, but cabin category mates too.:p

I've had good results (100% success rate) faxing a mattress topper request @ 4-6 weeks prior to sailing. Send it too early, like much paper work, it could get lost.

Name

Booking Number-

Voyage Number & Cruise ship-

Sail Date -

Cabin Number -

Phone Number -

Web Address -

Fax Transmittal Form

To: Princess Cruises From:

ATTN: Special Services

Fax: 661 284 4885

Please request cabin steward place a mattress topper and a top sheet on queen arrangement bed.

Thank You

• 2 weeks later...

Egg Crate foam is available. Ask your travel agent to request it for you, and it will be on the bed before you get there.

DW & I have been on 20 Princess cruises on at least 12 different ships, in the last 4 years, and have never had any problem with mattresses, although I have arthritis in the small of the back, mind you, our own mattress is fairly firm. It seems to be an individual thing !! :confused: ;)

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07Jun.0212 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

22 & 23rd cruises - Sapphire Princess B2B, 04 - 11 May & 11 - 18 May, 2013, California Coastal & Wine Country

24th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

25th cruise - Emerald Princess, 01 Oct. - 16 Oct. 2013, 16 Day Cruisetour, Toronto Via Quebec City to New York City

Hi All

Never had a problem with any beds on any Princess ships,

however as we are on the Crown next month, we ask my DW if we can

give the bed a good work out, so we can report back for you guys

as to how the matress feels,

yours Shogun

Just got off the Crown today. Had an Emerald mini suite and our bed had a foam topper added but still gave me a back ache. It was just a worn out mattress that should be replaced.
That what we are afraid of...have had them place egg-crates on the beds on several cruises but the last two we actually brought our own memory foam topper because of back problems. Sleeping on a bad mattress for 7-15 days at a stretch caused me to have a hefty chiropractor bill on return from our cruise. Not exactly escaping completely :( (That's even with several glasses of wine and the ship's gentle rocking. Come on Princess "spring" for some decent mattresses - take the lead from some the hotel chains i.e.The Heavenly Bed at the Westin hotels....:rolleyes: I did comment about this on our survey after our last three cruises and I know they are "in process" of replacing the mattresses

They replace mattresses as needed on all the ships, but they just keep replacing them with the same extra firm mattresses. If you like a firm mattress you'll be fine. For me, it's too hard. I know that HAL and Carnival (other lines owned by Carnival Corp) have more comfortable mattresses. Princess just doesn't think this is important. It's really the only thing that I complain about on Princess. I've been putting it on my comment survey for the last 4-5 years and nothing has happened. If anything, they seem worse. I'll be cruising in December in a mini and am hoping this "premium bedding" they advertise for suites is more comfortable. I'm bringing my own foam topper, though, just to make sure I can sleep.

As I mentioned before in this thread, the mattress topper that was used on our bed was wonderful... encased in tufted cotton and a bit thicker than what we've had before. I've been thinking of calling Princess and asking the make of the topper. I'm sorry I didn't check while we were on the ship. It wasn't the usual foam topper. If I find out, I'll post again.

They replace mattresses as needed on all the ships, but they just keep replacing them with the same extra firm mattresses. If you like a firm mattress you'll be fine. For me, it's too hard. I know that HAL and Carnival (other lines owned by Carnival Corp) have more comfortable mattresses. Princess just doesn't think this is important. It's really the only thing that I complain about on Princess. I've been putting it on my comment survey for the last 4-5 years and nothing has happened. If anything, they seem worse. I'll be cruising in December in a mini and am hoping this "premium bedding" they advertise for suites is more comfortable. I'm bringing my own foam topper, though, just to make sure I can sleep.

I've only been in one mini-suite, on the Coral, and it was the most comfy mattress ever on Princess. It was soft but there was a firmness underneath, so it wasn't mushy. I normally don't notice or mind the Princess beds, but even I had to notice how much more comfortable that bed was. So I hope you'll have the same thing.

Archived