Vision of the Seas - short review

welshrich

Just returned from Vision, 14-21 September, not seen many reviews on here so thought would post one if anyone has any questions.

Flew into Copenhagen on the day of departure, very easy to reach ship by train from the airport and since we only had small bags we walked from the train station to the ship (was about 10mins), weather was not great on day one, we had been on this ship before so just got some food from the Windjammer (gotta have that honey stung chicken) and then went to the solarium and relaxed. 1pm the staterooms were ready, we had an inside cabin this cruise, it was OK, lots of storage for us, we only tend to use the cabin to change and to sleep so was not bothered about it being inside and I do enjoy the sleep I get in them as its so dark. This was the first time we did not meet out cabin steward, not sure if he was new but he didn't introduce himself and we hardly saw him, we are quite tidy so he didnt have a lot to do and sometimes heijust pushed the next days cruise compass under the door and came back later to turn down the beds if we were still getting ready. Muster dril completed we sailed away, Cruise director was Keith Williams, he was OK, not over the top and was enjoyable, weather was mainly OK for the rest of the week as the cruise was port intensive, we visited Oslo, Bremerhaven, Amsterdam, Zeebrugge,and Le Havre, we didnt take any ship tours but used the local buses and trains to travel around. This was also the first time we didnt eat in the MDR in the evenngs, we went for a couple of breakfasts and otherwise got a snack in the Solarium or went to the windjammer, mainly we avoided it in the evenings as the menu has become a bit repetitive and we are going on a longer cruise quite soon so didnt want to have 'overkill'.

The entertainment was mixed, on night one it was a juggler, not to my taste and we saw quite a few people leave early but we did stay until the end, other nights it was the usual production shows and a couple of tribute acts.

Overall, we did enjoy it, disembarkation was easy as they had the immigration officers onboard on a sea day so we went through it while still at sea, the ship is in good condition, obviously some signs of wear but nothing to worry about.

One last thing, on both formal nights they had sushi in the WJ, it was made up freshly while you waited but the downside of this was that there was often a queue and since it was in the same area as the make your own pasta bar it got quite congested, wish they had just prepared it in advance.

Thank you for your review. It is much appreciated as many CC members are anxiously awaiting the Vision to begin Trans Canal and Caribbean sailings. I would like to ask you on behalf of all upcoming guests that have staterooms just off the Centrum. How late in the evening was there music or other activities? There seems to be some varied information posted on this subject.

Hi

The cruise director was Keith Williams, it was his first week, he was okay, not too over the top. we were on deck two so did not have much noise, the main disco was in the viking crown and we didnt notice too much noise outside of this area, there was the white party on the pool deck but again we did not hear much.

Hi

The cruise director was Keith Williams, it was his first week, he was okay, not too over the top. we were on deck two so did not have much noise, the main disco was in the viking crown and we didnt notice too much noise outside of this area, there was the white party on the pool deck but again we did not hear much.

Thanks!

Thank you for your review. It is much appreciated as many CC members are anxiously awaiting the Vision to begin Trans Canal and Caribbean sailings. I would like to ask you on behalf of all upcoming guests that have staterooms just off the Centrum. How late in the evening was there music or other activities? There seems to be some varied information posted on this subject.

Hi, we were on the Vision late Aug/Sept and had 2 rooms on deck 7 just forward of the centrum. It was a port intensive cruise and we lost 3 hours by the time we got to Russia, so it was early to bed at night. I did hear some music off the centrum but I was still able to get to sleep, that being said it was the 1st time I had heard any noise in a stateroom, so for others it might be a prob.

We knew Vision was an older ship, but having sailed on Splendour the year before she went to dry dock, we knew she would be well maintained. IMO, I think she was in better condition then Splendour at the same stage. The Captain said she had been drydocked 5 times the last in 2010.

The ship is easy to negotiate and feels less crowded then the Voyager Class ships. The staff were excellent esp the team in the MDR. The Head Waiter resolved a problem with our wine package straight off. Some things may look a little dated e.g the bathrooms units, but all well cleaned etc and some capets showing wear ( but I guess you will get this on all ships with a heavy footfall rate. )

The Schooner Bar area was much bigger then Splendour and the lounges Showboat and the other lounge were more up to date then Splendour in 2010. ( I think the layout here was slightly diff from Splendour, but it has been a few years and I may be wrong..).

The WindJammer was fine, the aisle on the inside by the wall is narrow and hard to make your way past. I wish I had known about the sushi, I have never had this on an RCI ship and I love sushi...

We found the food in the MDR to be good, this was our 1st Baltic cruise having been in the Med on our previous outings. Some different options which were nice and thought the quality of seafood was better ( it may be that their Suppliers in this area of the world are better..) Am looking forward to seeing what the overall feedback on the new menus will be, it is time for a change and hopefully some improvements... One thing I hope they get rid of is the 'tin' looking dishes that they serve the Shrimp Cocktail and ice-creams in, they are like something from a hospital or school dinner. One other thing it would be nice if they could improved on the plastic plate warmers, again reminiscent of an institution..

There was no chocolate breckie, which is just a gimmick, but we enjoyed the novelty of it last year. Eggs Benedict was on the MDR breckie menu every morning along with one other daily special option. There was a breakfast buffet as well set up for people to help themselves to fruit, juices, cereals, breads, pastries, eggs,bacon and sausages. I hadn't seen this before and I think it may be to make life easier for the crew. There was also a light continental breckie in the games room most mornings coffee, juice, pastries and croissants.

The library was the best stocked that I have seen in my 7 cruises to date and a quiet oasis. I know that in Splendor she was replaced by a CL lounge, it would be a shame if Vision lost this in the refit, but I guess with the advent of Kindle's these rooms may become a thing of the past...

The RCI Production shows were good, but not extraordinary. The ABBA tribute band were awesome.The theatre is two tiers, was it only one in Splendour, I can't remba ? ( know that it is 3 tiers on the Voyager ships).

Spa treatments were good and the layout here was different and rooms better then Splendour.

Gym area is tiny, but one can also walk or jog the laps outdoors. The usual shops, not a very interesting array of merchandise.

Disembarkation was a breeze, we were in the Showboat lounge for platinum and above where they serve a continental brecckie. We were meant to depart between 8.30 - 8.40am. The ship arrived and 8 and we were cleared to go at 8.10 and off the ship at 8.15am getting into a taxi

We had a great cruise, combination of going to new places in the Baltics and Russia and we enjoyed our time on Vision and all going well we will sail her again if she is on the Norwegian Fjords route in 2014.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask

Thank you welshrich and swcruise. The more information I get about the Vision the more excited I get about cruising on her. I am a fan of RCI older more seasoned ships as I love the true feeling of being at sea. :)

Same for me !

Cruising on Vison of the Seas thru Panama Canal. Does anyone have any "must see tours" to recommend? Also - how has the food een recently? We were not impressed last time we cruised on Royal.

Bonnie

Food in the MDR on our Vision Baltics cruise in July was excellent. Much better than the food we had in March on Disney Dream.

Review much appreciated! Got a bit over 4 months until we sail on Vision and looking forward to it!

With the timeframe that you mention, the food will not only be better, but the menus will have changed from what we know of them today, back to a time where the menus and food were much better. Well, we will see.

The man in charge of creating the new (old) menus and increasing the $$ somewhat to make sure that RCL is not at the bottom, when it comes to food, is the gentleman that was just recently moved from his corner office at Royal Caribbean.........to his new digs at Celebrity.......as its new President.

We will miss Michael Bayley at RCL, but will welcome him in his new post as President of Celebrity! Mr. Bayley will have turned over the menus to someone trusted........I hope!!:D

Rick

Cruising on Vison of the Seas thru Panama Canal. Does anyone have any "must see tours" to recommend? Also - how has the food een recently? We were not impressed last time we cruised on Royal.

Bonnie

We found the food OK, I am a fan of the curry and asian selections in the WJ so always found something to eat, the only thing I think that hit or miss is the deserts, they look nicer than they taste, looking forward to the new menus to be rolled out fleetwide, think that will get me back in the dining room more often.

We are glad to read the positive comments on the vision.

We board the Vision on Oct 5th for two 14 night Panama Canal Transits and are looking forward to out cruise. It will be our longest cruise ever!

Itinerary-West.gifItinerary-East.gif

Fort Lauderdale to San Diego and return! 28 nights!

I will be reporting "Live" from the ship again. Watch for the first post on the night of Oct 4th from West Palm Beach.

We board the Vision on Oct 5th for two 14 night Panama Canal Transits and are looking forward to out cruise. It will be our longest cruise ever!

I will be reporting "Live" from the ship again. Watch for the first post on the night of Oct 4th from West Palm Beach.

Trainman-2

I'm looking forward to your "Live" posts. I'll be on the dock on Nov 2 when you return so I can start my 10 day cruise on the Vision. Have a good time

Don

Hi Trainman,

Have read and enjoyed all you onboard live reviews, I am sure that you will bring the flavour of this ship more to life than my short review.

One additional point that I didn't mention was that our rooms had flat screen TV's and new safes.

Any questions before you board, just ask and happy travels..

Bonnie

The food was the best we've had in memory on RCI on our 5-night fjords cruise on September 2. The ship is in terrific condition, better than when she sailed from LA. I have a full review in the works, but the executive summary is that she's a fabulous "little" ship.:)

The food was the best we've had in memory on RCI on our 5-night fjords cruise on September 2. The ship is in terrific condition, better than when she sailed from LA. I have a full review in the works, but the executive summary is that she's a fabulous "little" ship.:)

Great news !

Can't wait to check it out in person January 14 !:)

There is a terrible review of a half-finished TA on Vision posted in the Member Review section. Really scary, but as always, I am taking it with a large grain of salt. I am really looking forward to your review. I have found them to be fair, fun and informative. I hope you have a wonderful time !

I'm liking what I hear there!

There is a terrible review of a half-finished TA on Vision posted in the Member Review section. Really scary, but as always, I am taking it with a large grain of salt. I am really looking forward to your review. I have found them to be fair, fun and informative. I hope you have a wonderful time !

I would bet that was the same one post wonder that struck the boards a day or so back. Several people remarked how odd that someone would do that mid-cruise. Naturally there was no follow-up by the OP so it's anyone's guess as to whether that poster was even on board.

I'm liking what I hear there!

I would bet that was the same one post wonder that struck the boards a day or so back. Several people remarked how odd that someone would do that mid-cruise. Naturally there was no follow-up by the OP so it's anyone's guess as to whether that poster was even on board.

Yes, I think you are right. That thread seems to have been pulled.

We are so looking forward to this cruise, and all the ports new to us, I think we'd even go on the Black Pearl, esp with capt Jack. Went ahead and paid in full the same day I read the review, so you can tell how worried DH and I are !:)

Archived