The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of Last Minute Bookings

luv2cruise53

I wanted to try Explorer out of Bayonne NJ to Berrmuda on their last cruise to BDA on the 27th of October. This cruise was truly last minute booking for me and I had my eyes on the Star to BDA Oct 14 or the Explorer. I have cruised many times on NCL (Gold Lattitudes)and am truly a fan. I wanted to try an RCI ship, and I was watching both for price drops.

Note: this is a very difficult way to plan and shop for a cruise(as you will see) however the lower price offer can be substantially good. The Star was looking at $885.00 (solo..I travel solo)for an obstructed view GTY Wednesday the 19th of Sept (last week).I then checked Explorer and they had no space the 13th or the 20th but they had an Ocean view for (solo) at $763.00. I was like wow. (Time 2:00PM)

Awesome, I want that....Halloween on the Explorer Yessss!

So(heres where last minute bookings get iffy) I went to my Savings and Loan and got a CTFD Check for $1000.00 and then took it next door to BOA. Back on the subway to home.(Time, 3:25PM) So quickly back on line to RCI and start to book the trip and cabin and.......wait......wait some more....The Price was $1250.00

In an hour and a half the price jumped almost $500.00. Phone calls and pleading did nada and I was very dissapointed. So back to NCL for the Star October 14th to BDA. and start to book the trip and cabin and.......wait......wait some more....The Price was $960.00

Procrastination and indecision cost me $ 75.00

I booked it fast. Today the same trip is 280.00 more expensive.

Last minute bookings can often save you money but you must pounce at the offer as it is announced. Once the low-ball price starts attracting cruisers the price slowly rises incrementally(or in the case with RCI...Fast)

So lesson learned and sad I cannot try the Explorer.:o

Maybe next year.:rolleyes:

I think most cruiselines will let you hold a reservation for 24 hours at the currently available price. It locks in the price while you decide or make other arrangements. If I saw a deal like this when I could travel, I would have at least tried to get them to hold it. I've been able to hold a reservation for 24 hours with Celebrity and NCL. Never tried with Carnival or Royal tho.

I wanted to try Explorer out of Bayonne NJ to Berrmuda on their last cruise to BDA on the 27th of October. This cruise was truly last minute booking for me and I had my eyes on the Star to BDA Oct 14 or the Explorer. I have cruised many times on NCL (Gold Lattitudes)and am truly a fan. I wanted to try an RCI ship, and I was watching both for price drops.

Note: this is a very difficult way to plan and shop for a cruise(as you will see) however the lower price offer can be substantially good. The Star was looking at $885.00 (solo..I travel solo)for an obstructed view GTY Wednesday the 19th of Sept (last week).I then checked Explorer and they had no space the 13th or the 20th but they had an Ocean view for (solo) at $763.00. I was like wow. (Time 2:00PM)

Awesome, I want that....Halloween on the Explorer Yessss!

So(heres where last minute bookings get iffy) I went to my Savings and Loan and got a CTFD Check for $1000.00 and then took it next door to BOA. Back on the subway to home.(Time, 3:25PM) So quickly back on line to RCI and start to book the trip and cabin and.......wait......wait some more....The Price was $1250.00

In an hour and a half the price jumped almost $500.00. Phone calls and pleading did nada and I was very dissapointed. So back to NCL for the Star October 14th to BDA. and start to book the trip and cabin and.......wait......wait some more....The Price was $960.00

Procrastination and indecision cost me $ 75.00

I booked it fast. Today the same trip is 280.00 more expensive.

Last minute bookings can often save you money but you must pounce at the offer as it is announced. Once the low-ball price starts attracting cruisers the price slowly rises incrementally(or in the case with RCI...Fast)

So lesson learned and sad I cannot try the Explorer.:o

Maybe next year.:rolleyes:

I am sorry that you did not get the Explorer. I guess the cruise lines fluctuate their prices based on supply and demand? I hope you can enjoy The Star.

How is the terminal in Bayone? Is it far from Manhattan?

~La Princesa

I think most cruiselines will let you hold a reservation for 24 hours at the currently available price. It locks in the price while you decide or make other arrangements. If I saw a deal like this when I could travel, I would have at least tried to get them to hold it. I've been able to hold a reservation for 24 hours with Celebrity and NCL. Never tried with Carnival or Royal tho.

I did not know that. I wish I had cause I would have held that Oct 27th Explorer in a heartbeat.:mad:

I am sorry that you did not get the Explorer. I guess the cruise lines fluctuate their prices based on supply and demand? I hope you can enjoy The Star.

How is the terminal in Bayone? Is it far from Manhattan?

~La Princesa

Of course I will enjoy the Star and am very excited. I have been using the Oct 14 Roll call board for over a month now and I think the people cruising seem very nice.:D

And I love NCL and get a few latitudes points to boot.

I am not upset to lose the Explorer. Just a lesson learned I guess.:cool:

Am not sure this is true if booking last minute? I booked with a TA versus NCL, so perhaps that accounts for the difference, but since it was after final payment due date, I had to pay pretty much immediately.

Am not sure this is true if booking last minute? I booked with a TA versus NCL, so perhaps that accounts for the difference, but since it was after final payment due date, I had to pay pretty much immediately.

Ditto. I've used that 24 hour hold on NCL a number of times, but I also think it disappears as an option at some point closer to the sail date.

However, their online system will usually hold a selected cabin/rate for 30 minutes to allow time for you to complete your reservation. So I'll pop open another window and book my air, etc. But clearly, to make last minute booking work, you need to track BOTH the cruise price AND any necessary airfares. And if good prices materialize, you must usually make an instant decision.

I'm missing something here. Why did you do your BOA booking first? Couldn't you check availability online and book online AFTER you booked the cruise? Couldn't you have both windows open at the same time?

The BOA I used is short for Bank of America :o[i should have made that clear]

I keep larger cash reserves in Savings and Loan.[ Better Customer service] So I needed to go and get a ctfd check to bring next door to the Bank of America. I could have used transfers on -line but they take a day to go through [Midnight of the day of transfer]:rolleyes:

So in that short trek to the banks and then back home..the price increased by 500.00:mad:

I believe it. On our recent last minute 4-Day Sky cruise, I booked after the regular final payment date $249pp for an inside. Just a couple days later, a few aft balcony cabins became available. When they debuted, their price was in the high $500's. After a few days, the price dropped to $399! I called my DH to see if we could upgrade our insides to the aft balconies, as I had always wanted to try an aft. He works in a manufacturing plant, so can't take calls right away. By the time he got back to me and gave me the green light, the price was back up to the high $500's. This was three hours later, so it was either an error to begin with or that quick of a price change.

On a Carnival Miracle cruise, my mother saw a price drop and was able to get the reduction on her Early Saver rate that was only available to book on Carnival's website for 40 minutes!

Won't they take a credit card by phone for a last minute booking?

The certified check thing seems like a lot of trouble to me. Is it a requirement or do you prefer not to use credit cards? I guess if you're using a debit card, you have to do all this.

I know its possible on Royal, because anyone can still put a 24 hour hold on a Oct 14th Explorer cruise.

I always do that when Im checking rates, just to lock in the cabin and rate until I can decide.

Just checked its also possible to put a hold on NCL Star for Oct 14, good info for those needing extra time.

Won't they take a credit card by phone for a last minute booking?

The certified check thing seems like a lot of trouble to me. Is it a requirement or do you prefer not to use credit cards? I guess if you're using a debit card, you have to do all this.

Im a graduate student and I just paid my tuition and fees bill on my credit card. So that it only had about 500.00 left on it. So I was moving money to my debit card from savings and loan to Bank of America. Financial aid refunds came on friday so I was able to pay off my credit card to have it for my cruise, but not in time for the booking.

Us students tend to get very creative with funds and accounts and very stupid as well.:D

I guess what is confusing me that you said it was a last minute booking, but it's still September and you are cruising in October? Everyone that I've heard talk about LMB are talking about booking the week of the cruise and what great deals that got. I've had several people that ended up on our roll call booking in the last week so many days prior to the cruise and got an out of this world price. I know it's a chance you take hoping that they have this deal, but a lot of people seem to find one.

I've watched prices up until the day we cruise and have watched prices sliced in half while they try to fill the ship. (I'm kicking myself at that point but I also remind myself that I have to factor in the air flight, which would be outrageous booked last minute). :eek:

I always book online straight away using my credit card. I usually book my holiday or cruise about 5 weeks out. If I wait until just before the sail date, I usually end up with a super expensive airfare. It's always hard getting the balance right.

I guess what is confusing me that you said it was a last minute booking, but it's still September and you are cruising in October? Everyone that I've heard talk about LMB are talking about booking the week of the cruise and what great deals that got. I've had several people that ended up on our roll call booking in the last week so many days prior to the cruise and got an out of this world price. I know it's a chance you take hoping that they have this deal, but a lot of people seem to find one.

I've watched prices up until the day we cruise and have watched prices sliced in half while they try to fill the ship. (I'm kicking myself at that point but I also remind myself that I have to factor in the air flight, which would be outrageous booked last minute). :eek:

I have heard of some people booking right up to the cruise, but Cruise Lines usually put out last minute deals about 5-6 weeks before sail date if they have unsold cabins.They put it under a tab on their website as Hot Deals, or Last minute Deals. When they first come out under those tabs they are dirt cheap....then they gradually rise as people take advantage and start to fill cabins up. When I was looking at RCI Explorer they had October 6th, 13th and 20th open for a couple days then they all booked out and all that was left was Oct 27th then that went sky high in price. The best time to take advantage is the minute they are announced as a fire sale. It certainly is possible that some ships and some itineraries may not fill and you certainly could get an awesome price a week or days before a cruise, but I think that is chancy and once you get your heart set on a cruise you don't want to lose it because you procrastinated hoping for it. If you did not care one way or the other if you went then I guess it may pay to wait.:rolleyes:

Not after final payment is due. Then you have to book and pay immediately.

Not after final payment is due. Then you have to book and pay immediately.

Not true. Just put a hold on the NCL Pearl two-day from Miami on October 12th.

Unfortunately I have been bit by the ugly because I had the same hold over the weekend for $100 less. Was too busy Saturday to pay and the mini suite guarantee category is now gone. $100 because I couldn't hit the pay button . . .

Yesterday I put the 10/12 2-day Pearl on hold. Today I went back hoping the mini-suite guarantees came back ($100 savings). Not only did they not come back, the next lowest mini-suite category is gone as well, now instead of $249 pp (1st/2nd) it is $549pp. This time I confirmed the booking :-)

Shows how dynamic fares can get in the last 17 days. I'm wondering if there are local / Florida sales going on because I'd been looking at this cruise for weeks with 0 movement in pricing and tons of rooms available.

Archived