Do you wait for specials to book?

chel2thec

I'm looking at a short cruise for my husband and me for November 2013. I'm not wanting to book right this second, but probably in late October/November. I'm planning on it being my Christmas gift to my husband. My question is - do you all wait until there is a special deal (such as reduced deposit, ect.) before you book? If so, are there any good specials I should wait for? I was going to book back when they had "free" upgrades until I realized that the free upgrade category from an oceanview to a balcony only consisted of certain categories of oceanview rooms which were the same price as a balcony anyways :rolleyes: (I know, if it's too good to be true, it's probably not legit)..

I'm looking at a short cruise for my husband and me for November 2013. I'm not wanting to book right this second, but probably in late October/November. I'm planning on it being my Christmas gift to my husband. My question is - do you all wait until there is a special deal (such as reduced deposit, ect.) before you book? If so, are there any good specials I should wait for? I was going to book back when they had "free" upgrades until I realized that the free upgrade category from an oceanview to a balcony only consisted of certain categories of oceanview rooms which were the same price as a balcony anyways :rolleyes: (I know, if it's too good to be true, it's probably not legit)..

First and foremost is price, then yes, if I have the time, I wait for a special offering on board credit. I book with a TA so I get everything NCL is offering plus extra OBC and a cheaper price.

When they do the free upgrades, they often reduce the price of the balcony to match the highest inside price so it looks like there is no deal.

No. I look for the ship and itinerary that i want. Then book as early as possible. Then go after price drops, sales, and discounts. Although booking early usually gets me the best deal.

Ditto - book what we want, and then if we change our minds, so be it - but we would ultimately have enough time to switch things before cancellation penalties start kicking in. We are also of the mind set to book as far out as possible so we can plan for the $$ part of things as far in advance as possible.

OP, IMHO this is something you will have to decide for yourself which is better. For us, being able to select the exact stateroom we want is most important. For others, it would eat them alive if they booked a cruise and had they waited a few months to book they would have saved money. For them, being able to choose the exact room is probably not as high on their priority list. If price is paramount to you (and there is nothing wrong with that) then maybe you could just print up a certificate to put in a gift box for your husband for the cruise and then just "wait it out" until you feel like you have such a good deal that even if the price dropped a little bit you would be ok. Do what makes you happy. 8-).

Once we book a cruise we never look back and see what the cost of the cruise has changed to, especially if it is after the 75 day final payment date. We will look often to see how many rooms are still available, etc, just to see how crowded the cruise may be, etc, but once we book, we are booked.

I personally always book when there is some type of special going on AND as early as possible to get the best price.

I always book with an online TA that gives me the best deal (some times cheaper than the cruise lines), I get OBC with my TA, OBC with the cruise line, (we never do the upgrades because like you said, it's for the higher categories to begin with in order to get the upgrade and we book interiors as cheap as we can so that we can cruise more often), we normally use a cruise certificate (purchased on the ship from a prior cruise and saving $100) but since you don't have one, taking advantage of the reduced deposit work good, and last but not least, we try to book when they have a "kids sale free" promo since we've been taking our youngest on our last 2 cruises. :D

Then of course I monitor the prices up until final pay off date and if there is a price drop, I try to take advantage of that as well. :)

Seems every week or 2 weeks there is some sort of special going on. If you have a MC, Amex or from the NCL Facebook's page.

I always use the links here on the cruise deals line to check prices. I also have AARP card and Bj's cards and use them to check what deals they offer.

So no need to wait just do some checking for the best deal.

At different times I have got lower rates, OBC, free bottom of wine, free soda cards, no deposit or $250 deposits - lots of stuff by looking around.

The one thing I will try this year is to see if they do some sort of Black Friday deal that knocks my socks off. I missed out on that last year as I did not know they did them and booked the Monday a day to late and would have saved a few hundred.

Archived