18 years after our 1st cruise we have officially given it up. The masses have won.

fig414

We went to Europe for three weeks in 20" carry ons. My husband wore/carried his sports coat on the plane. He had slacks and a couple of Oxford shirts for regular dining nights and tucked a tie in to his suitcase "just in case." We decided to eat at a restaurant in Athens that required a jacket, and were glad he had one with him.

Your point is well taken, however........Regarding the area that I have highlighted in red: It may not be possible or feasible for everyone to travel with a 20" suitcase on a cruise. For example, when I was younger and weighed only 120 lbs, my clothes were considerably smaller. A couple of thin cocktail dresses fold up to nothing and take up no space in a suitcase. A 20" roller case was all I needed. But, now in my forties and no longer skinny (but by no means fat) my clothes are not cut so "lean" and therefore take up more space in my luggage. Gone is the very short, size 4 cocktail dress, and in its place is the size 10 skirt that falls to just above my knee along with a matching size 10 top. Gone are the size 4 short shorts and string bikini, and in their place are size 10 Bermuda (almost-knee-length shorts) and a one-piece bathingsuit. I also do not wish to do laundry while I'm on vacation, so I must take enough to last the entire time that I'm away in order to forgo having to do laundry while on vacation. Consequently, I now have a larger suitcase. Living in Florida, though, I have not had to fly to board a ship for our Caribbean cruises.

Your point is well taken, however........Regarding the area that I have highlighted in red: It may not be possible or feasible for everyone to travel with a 20" suitcase on a cruise. For example, when I was younger and weighed only 120 lbs, my clothes were considerably smaller. A couple of thin cocktail dresses fold up to nothing and take up no space in a suitcase. A 20" roller case was all I needed. But, now in my forties and no longer skinny (but by no means fat) my clothes are not cut so "lean" and therefore take up more space in my luggage. Gone is the very short, size 4 cocktail dress, and in its place is the size 10 skirt that falls to just above my knee along with a matching size 10 top. Gone are the size 4 short shorts and string bikini, and in their place are size 10 Bermuda (almost-knee-length shorts) and a one-piece bathingsuit. I also do not wish to do laundry while I'm on vacation, so I must take enough to last the entire time that I'm away in order to forgo having to do laundry while on vacation. Consequently, I now have a larger suitcase. Living in Florida, though, I have not had to fly to board a ship for our Caribbean cruises.

I'm a size 8 and don't wear short shorts or bikinis. We sent out some laundry, and I handwashed my delicates every morning before we left for breakfast. I took a lot of mix and match lightweight items many of which could do double duty days and nights depending on how I accessorized.

PS--It's usually cheaper to send out some laundry than to pay baggage charges. Food for thought.

I would like Togas to be the norm. They were at one time. Maybe if a couple started it then it would catch on again.

Book a Caribbean cruise on Costa. They have a "Toga Night" and it is great fun. The cabin steward brings sheets and instructions for how to tie a toga, but some of the passengers bring their own really elaborate togas.

Book a Caribbean cruise on Costa. They have a "Toga Night" and it is great fun. The cabin steward brings sheets and instructions for how to tie a toga, but some of the passengers bring their own really elaborate togas.

LOL Memories of Spring 1992 Costa Riviera and amazing food and dining room service then..forgot about the Toga night...LOL....sarah

Archived