18 years after our 1st cruise we have officially given it up. The masses have won.

fig414

My wife and I will be going on our first cruise in a few weeks. I am packing my tux and she is packing a formal dress and we both plan on wearing them. If no one else has a tux on then I will take pride in being the nicest dressed person in the dining room. It's the experience I get out of it, not the experience everyone else gets that matters to me. All it takes is a few people to restart the trend of formal dress just like it only takes one sleeveless shirt person to ruin the experience.

In the end, I plan on having a great time so matter what everyone else does.

I love your logic! First cruises set the bar for all others to follow. Enjoy your cruise and let us know your thoughts when you return. We love to watch newbies (said ain respectful way) when they enter the ship for the very first time. Memories of ours.... Enjoy!

It's true - we don't dress like we used to, but that is EVERYWHERE, so I'm not sure why cruising would be different. As someone mentioned, people used to dress up to fly, but now they don't. People used to dress up to go to church, but now it's all casual. Heck, I can't count how many times I go to the grocery store and see young boys and girls (even into their 20's) in their pajama pants - when did that become acceptable? That has become one of my biggest pet peeves (mind you, I'm not necessarily talking about kids under 10 or 12).

I think the mis-matched couples are the oddest looking - the wife will be dressed to the nines in long gown, updo, fancy jewelry and heels - the husband in a polo shirt, khakis and boat shoes. It certainly makes for some great people watching.

Lastly, while for the most part it matters not to me what others are wearing, I will refuse to eat at a dinner table where I have to look at underarm hair while doing so. I don't even let my kids (17yo boy twins) come to the table in tanks.

First few cruises, I wore a suit on formal nights. Now I wear a dress shirt, tie, and blazer. How nice (or casually) others dress has no effect on my enjoyment of a meal (and a cruise).

Growing up (30-40 years ago), dining out for us meant dressing nicely - nice shirt, slacks, nice shoes, etc. Now, for the vast majority of land-based restaurants, just about anything goes. And I don't enjoy the meal any less. I don't look like a slob, but I don't dress up as nicely as I would have growing up unless it's a nicer place or a special meal. Same thing at church - I like it that at many churches people dress as they like, which means anywhere from jeans or shorts to the true "Sunday best." It has no impact on my experience how others dress. And working in an office meant wearing a suit everyday until not too long ago...we're far from that for most professions as well.

I got married in a rented tux and that was the last time I wore one. Do I miss it? Not really.

I do, however, wear a suit on formal night but have toyed with the idea of just wearing a nice pair of slacks and a collared shirt. Still debating that one but so far have lost to the suit. The funny part of it is that as soon as we finish supper, I dash to the cabin and change to more casual clothes to be comfortable at the Carnival Show. So why wear the suit?

It is probably just old age and custom. I still pay my bills using a stamped envelope. I have an I-pod that I play games with but I don't use as a phone. I still use my camera instead of the phone. I use the computer but I no longer use Face Book nor do I Twitter (Not even sure of the spelling). I did get rid of my type writer. On the other hand I got a 60 inch TV and I use the car camera to back up with the car.

So to Tux or not to Tux, that is the question. ..................... I think I will stick to the suit but don't let me stop you.

I think there is a correlation between price and clothes..

The lower the price, the more masses you attract....

this includes all types of people with different standards

This is true about airlines, many years ago it was

expensive to fly and people took pride in getting dressed up and

going on a flight, now anyone can fly.

Goodness. We could afford whatever cruise we wanted but still wouldn't don the tuxedo and ball gown.

I myself still dress in my tux but that is just me. I enjoy it so I do it. I miss the classy attitude that cruising used to have however I really don't care what others wear. The exception would be sleeveless shirts on me in the dining room which did happen at the table I was at on my last cruise. We just excused ourselves and ate at the buffet

NOBODY wants to see the armpit hair of a stranger. I would have left also.

NOBODY wants to see the armpit hair of a stranger. I would have left also.

Not to degrade the thread, but 4 weeks ago on the Victory saw someone try and come in on formal night with a tank top and shorts. Maire'd stood fast and refused to seat them (our table was 2nd large round inside the door). I made a point of going back out and thanking him for doing so.

The olden days of cruising really is a thing in the past, although there are other cruise lines Regent Seven Seas, Sebourn, etc. that people remain to dress up.

I not care what others wear and I wear what I want to wear. When cruise ships cut back (Carnival to me has cut back the most drastic) I not see any sense why people have to dress up. You get less you wear less hahahaha

Honestly each to their own on this subject. (although personally I do feel nobody should wear tank tops or men shouldn't wear hats) I not want to wear a gown, and my honey not want to even wear a suit neverless a tux, we want to be comfortable but always we dress nicely. Then there is the luggage weight restriction that airlines have now.

You can also blame the airlines, having to pay for bags these days. Not everyone can drive to a port in FLA.

My thoughts exactly. It's hard to cram a tux and formal gown into carry-on bags. And yes, Southwest allows free checked bags, but they don't fly everywhere.

Tried to talk DH out of the tux for our upcoming cruise, but no luck! He bought it, likes it, and will wear it. Must admit it looks wonderful wearing it. Love the idea of dressing up, it's the extra luggage that is a pain....oh well, guess we can deal with it.

I'm not sure I understand the OP. He complains about the lack of dress in the dining room, but then wears shorts and flip flops? Why complain if you were part of the issue.

On our Dream cruise this August, DH wore his tux (with long tie and vest, not the bowtie and cumberbund). I wore cocktail dresses. We didn't look out of place.

If you like to dress up and miss it, just wear it!!

Personally, I am willing to pay $25 baggage fee if necessary considering the cost of the cruise, the $25 seems minor. We try to fly Southwest if possible or United where DH has status and gets a free bag.

Maggie

I think it's high time we allow swim suits in the MDR . If we're paying more and getting less, then open the doors all the way!
Who is paying more? The price of the cruise fair seems to have stayed the same for decades

especially for balcony cabins . I think you should try wearing your Speedo to the MDR.

It's true - we don't dress like we used to, but that is EVERYWHERE, so I'm not sure why cruising would be different. As someone mentioned, people used to dress up to fly, but now they don't. .

You are so correct. When I was a kid my father took me to the Forum in Montreal to watch the Canadians.

Men were mostly in suits and hats. Half of them were smoking. Things change.

OP I guess you always have the option to cruise HAL if this is a big enough issue for you.

I still wear my Tux and will continue to do so.

Will wear it on the Imagination in few weeks

Still do not understand the folks that say they miss getting dressed.

What's stopping you?

Ditto. I wouldn't bring my tux for a short cruise and one formal night, but since we never take short cruises I always bring it with. How can you be overdressed on elegant night? I spend most of the cruises in shorts and tees so dressing up is a nice change of pace.

Really? That's too bad! For me, I don't let what others do affect my experience. We are each on our own path. I, for one, will be looking sexy and decked out in a nice dress. As for Mr flip flops, to each his own! :)

I don't usually care about what others wear, but just wondering: are you a guy or a girl?:rolleyes:

Why would my clean designer jeans and collar shirt affect your dining experience? Come on out of the 60's already, amazing you use a computer.

Maybe you should try HAL or Crystal, plenty of Penguin suits there.

And who says "dress" and "class" aren't related? LOL!

I dress for dinner because I am a gentleman. YOU may dress as you like. It's just makes me look that much better in contrast.

YMMV

I don't care what others wear (minus the hairy armpits at dinner), BUT We do still dress up on Elegant night. For years I rented a tux and had it waiting in my cabin so I wouldn't have to pack it. Then I bought one for less than a one time rental fee and carried it a few times. Now it's just a coat and tie for one night. Usually slacks and dress shirt on other nights. Shorts on first night and port days. I kind of miss the days when almost everyone dressed up because it was exciting and fun. Can't explain it, but it just was. Many still do dress up, women especially, on every cruise. I do admit that I like packing lighter and being more casual and relaxed these days. Our cruises used to be an EVENT and now they are a VACATION. Both are good.

Chris - I think you hit the nail on the head.

There you go! Right on!

Dressing formal for dinner says nothing about those who don't but speaks volumes about those of us who do.

Dress how you like, makes no difference to me. Just don't get upset if I ask you for more butter...

YMMV

Personally, I don't care what others are wearing. I worry about me, my self, and I. I just love getting dressed up b/c I usually don't in my everyday life so it's just something cool [and different] to on my vaca. Why would anyone get all bent out of shape b/c someone -that you don't even know or may never see again- chooses not to wear a tux? There are so many other things to worry about like, what drink to order or what bikini to wear... Chillax and enjoy your cruise :)

As a first time cruiser I made sure to research what would be acceptable to wear in the MDR.

With that being said, I'm lucky to be getting my soon to be hubby into a tux for our wedding, so him wearing one on vacation would never fly. Heck, thanks to the fee to check a bag we are probably not going to even bring his suit coat since it would just take up room in the bag and I'm not going to drag around a garment bag. So for formal night it's gonna be dress slacks, dress shirt and tie. As for non formal night I bought him a pair of chinos... better option than jeans but not as dumb looking as khakis (sorry I can't help it... I hate khakis :p), along with a short sleeved collared shirt that I am not sure he will even button up and just wear a T-shirt under.

So I know by now many of you are clutching your pearls and gasping while saying "I nevah!" but I can assure you, while his dress in the MDR is going to stress you out and make you never want to cruise again in your entire life and you probably won't even be able to sleep at night, we won't be caring one bit because it will be our honeymoon, and our first cruise, and we will be enjoying ourselves!

I truly miss it though. We really loved the old style. It's not necessarily a bad thing. We pack way less. I now wear nice shorts and flip flops to dinner in the MDR. I was truly happy to see 2 guys getting turned away with sleeveless shirts on the 1st night. When jeans started to get through it pissed me off. I happen to think a nice short with a nice shirt looks better than jeans and sneakers, but that's just me. On my first cruises I actually wore a tux twice and a Dinner Jacket once on formal night. I LOVED it. Last week, I swear to you I saw not ONE tux on our Valor cruise. So sad. Mostly everyone was dressed very nicely on Elegant nights with many suits and, of course, the women went full out. Nary a bum in the MDR. Yet my outfit of slacks and dress shirt with no tie or jacket matched every other guy. My previously every night dress has now become "elegant". Forget about formal. I, of course, realize I can still dress to the nines. I just miss the tuxes. It's really strange. In my 30's I didn't want to get dressed up and I did. And in my 50's I want to get dressed up and I don't. Pathetic. Someone bring back tuxes PLEASE. I don't want to go on a stuffy line. Our line was way fun and we still dressed up. Oh well....

Hi Fig414:)

I'm confused & do not understand this philosophy. You're giving up cruising because

of what other people are wearing in the main dining room??

I will never comprehend why people permit themselves to allow others to tarnish

their cruise experience because of what people are wearing.

This is taking 'people watching' to a exceedingly unusual & disheartening level if it

has ruined your cruising experience for good and you no longer wish to cruise again because of it.

Too many people say formal/elegant evenings are not what they used to be.

Just because some people are jumping off a particular bridge does not mean you have to do the same.

You wish to dress in a tux, then do it.

My wife & I will always dress up like we're going to a wedding on formal/elegant evenings.

And the rest of the meals in the main dining room we dress as if we are going to a fancy restaurant.

That said, I in turn respect the choices of others when it comes to attire. They have their

reasons, and they are on vacation too.

To tell ya the truth, I have yet to be turned off or grossed out by what someone was wearing in

a main dining room on a cruise ship because I am far too busy enjoying MY vacation with MY wife.

We all spend a lot of precious time and $$$$ planning/saving for our voyages.

A vacation is what YOU make of it, not what others are making of theirs...

:)

I truly miss it though. We really loved the old style. It's not necessarily a bad thing. We pack way less. I now wear nice shorts and flip flops to dinner in the MDR. I was truly happy to see 2 guys getting turned away with sleeveless shirts on the 1st night. When jeans started to get through it pissed me off. I happen to think a nice short with a nice shirt looks better than jeans and sneakers, but that's just me. On my first cruises I actually wore a tux twice and a Dinner Jacket once on formal night. I LOVED it. Last week, I swear to you I saw not ONE tux on our Valor cruise. So sad. Mostly everyone was dressed very nicely on Elegant nights with many suits and, of course, the women went full out. Nary a bum in the MDR. Yet my outfit of slacks and dress shirt with no tie or jacket matched every other guy. My previously every night dress has now become "elegant". Forget about formal. I, of course, realize I can still dress to the nines. I just miss the tuxes. It's really strange. In my 30's I didn't want to get dressed up and I did. And in my 50's I want to get dressed up and I don't. Pathetic. Someone bring back tuxes PLEASE. I don't want to go on a stuffy line. Our line was way fun and we still dressed up. Oh well....

Consider something in between. I cruised on Wind Star this summer and it was amazing. No tuxes, but everyone dressed in elegant casual attire for dinner--without being reminded to do so. No tank tops, t-shirts, jeans, flip flops, etc. People were stylish and smart, not sloppy, but yet there wasn't a tie in sight. Most of the men wore either linen slacks or Dockers style pants with a combination of polo's, Cuban/Bahama's style shirts, or Oxfords. Sport jackets weren't uncommon but weren't required.

The ladies wore pant suits, skirt or slacks and chic tops, or dresses.

People actually showered and changed before dinner, there were no robes at breakfast and no bathing suits except at the pool.

There was no stuffiness, it was fun and energetic. They didn't need to enforce a dress code, because the people who were sailing with us knew how to dress (and act) like decent humans instead of pig farmers. (No offense to pig farmers, it's simply a euphemism.) We only met two couples who we found "stuffy," and it was easy enough to avoid them.

Archived