Would you 'upgrade' from an MA to SJ on Dawn?

bob brown

We have a nice midship minisuite on the Dawn 26 Oct. repo cruise. Due to the big price drop, they offered us an 'upgrade' to an SJ suite. It has no balcony, and is far forward.

Would you take that offer, or keep the midship mini with balcony, and why?

Would appreciate good feedback.......

The SJ is $2599 so if you are allready over that (BA were over $2700 at one point) what about looking at the SF,SE,SD at $3349

The main advanatage will be the suite perks.

It's anyones guess how much use we can get from the balconies for at least 1/2 the cruise.

If the SJ was a low/no cost upgrade I think I would take it, they are quite a bit bigger tub and shower

DAWN.Mini-Suite.AF-modal-02_1.jpg

dawn_modal_fp_familyste_r_2.jpg

Edited by insidecabin

We have a nice midship minisuite on the Dawn 26 Oct. repo cruise. Due to the big price drop, they offered us an 'upgrade' to an SJ suite. It has no balcony, and is far forward.

I am assuming you are being upgraded for free. I would take the suite just because you will get to enjoy the perks.

I tend to be the lone dissenter in these types of conversations, but I wouldn't give up the balcony for suite perks. We love sitting out on the balcony in the evening, or racing out in the morning to see the ship pull into port. That's worth more to me than breakfast/lunch at Cagneys and priority embarcation/disembarkation, or some extra space in the cabin. Everyone is different.

Hello fellow Colonial Cruiser!:)

I would definitely take it. Our friends who are also on this cruise just did the same. Much more space, giant bathroom, Cagney's for breakfast and lunch and all the other suite perks. Insidecabin is right....it is most likely going to be cold for a lot of the cruise and balcony sitting might be a little iffy. But you'd have a huge wall of windows and a short walk to the pool deck! Go for it!!!:)

I guess it comes down to the balcony, the SJ is a great space with a huge beautiful bath, but the lack of a balcony is a deal breaker for us and many others I'm sure. That's why they tend to go cheap.

The suite life is great and perks are super but without the balcony I wouldn't do it. We had the same option on our upcoming Star trip in Oct. and passed, though when we saw a SG come available last month we jumped without question.:D

I tend to be the lone dissenter in these types of conversations' date=' but I wouldn't give up the balcony for suite perks. We love sitting out on the balcony in the evening, or racing out in the morning to see the ship pull into port. That's worth more to me than breakfast/lunch at Cagneys and priority embarcation/disembarkation, or some extra space in the cabin. Everyone is different.[/quote']

I totally agree, we also don't see why everyone is so excited about the "suite life". None of those things are important to me but we feel the same way about the balcony. That is the best part of the cruise for me. We spend a lot of time on the balcony, preferring that to the upper decks of the ship. To me there is nothing like sitting on the balcony with a cup of coffee and watching as the ship sails into port or relaxing on the balcony at night with a book before going to bed.

I guess it comes down to the balcony, the SJ is a great space with a huge beautiful bath, but the lack of a balcony is a deal breaker for us and many others I'm sure. That's why they tend to go cheap.

Cheap.....??? Right now on the Star for the Nov 18th sailing that SJ will cost you $6200 for four people.

Dave

The SJ is $2599 so if you are allready over that (BA were over $2700 at one point) what about looking at the SF,SE,SD at $3349

The main advanatage will be the suite perks.

It's anyones guess how much use we can get from the balconies for at least 1/2 the cruise.

If the SJ was a low/no cost upgrade I think I would take it, they are quite a bit bigger tub and shower

DAWN.Mini-Suite.AF-modal-02_1.jpg

dawn_modal_fp_familyste_r_2.jpg

Without blinking an eye.

It's not just the priority EVERYTHING, but also just having the concierge & butler available... plus an expanded room-service menu (basically anything, anywhere on the ship....brought to your room).

It's having twice the space, the Lavazza coffee maker, the 21" tv screen, dual sinks, shower AND tub (separate)

Breakfast & Lunch at Cagneys are nice not just for the type of food, but also just a quieter, more relaxed / refined experience.

Plus, you have these gigantic picture windows..without the sea-spray, or birds, or cold :)

And as others have mentioned...1 flight up for the deck, or just down the hall for the pool.

And yes, I'm booked in an SJ next week :)

Absolutely. We did this on the Star in July. Upgraded three minis to 3 SJ's. No regrets at all from any of us. Did we miss the Balconies? Those gorgeous wall to wall windows more than made up for the lack of a balcony. The deck above us and the pool right down the hall from us gave us much outdoor space to enjoy and the suite perks were fantastic - great butler - Cipriano - is one of the best.

Cheap.....??? Right now on the Star for the Nov 18th sailing that SJ will cost you $6200 for four people.

Dave

Right now for our 14 day Star trip on 10/21 they are only 200.00 more than a Mini. A great deal if you don't require the balcony, and I think there are still 5 available.

I wish to thank all of those who contributed their feelings on this move. After careful consideration, and weighing of the pros and cons, I decided to take them up on the free upgrade.

Looking forward to my first experience in a suite....

One other bonus....the double credits I will earn on this cruise will push me over into the Platinum status for our next cruise....:)

I wish to thank all of those who contributed their feelings on this move. After careful consideration, and weighing of the pros and cons, I decided to take them up on the free upgrade.

One other bonus....the double credits I will earn on this cruise will push me over into the Platinum status for our next cruise....:)

Good for you!!!!!!! You're going to love the suite perks, and you may find it very difficult to ever book a non-suite again. Have an absolutely fabulous vacation. :D

I knew you would make the right decision. Your only regret will be after being spoiled by the suite life it is hard to go back.

You made the right decision taking the suite. The perks and VIP status WILL make your cruise. On the down side, you only earn latitudes points based on your initial booking. Upgrading to a suite does not earn you double points.

You're going to love it! Don't bank on those extra points, they wouldn't give them to us last time because it was an upgrade and not paid for. I tried to argue for them to no avail:D But who knows, policies may have changed.

The wall of windows more than make up for the balcony. And I love a balcony!!!! We loved our SJ on the Star in May and are looking forward to a SD on the Dawn in December. (More of us to split the costs) Not sure if I will like the uncovered balcony but we will see.

Edited by peg013

I totally agree, we also don't see why everyone is so excited about the "suite life". None of those things are important to me but we feel the same way about the balcony. That is the best part of the cruise for me. We spend a lot of time on the balcony, preferring that to the upper decks of the ship. To me there is nothing like sitting on the balcony with a cup of coffee and watching as the ship sails into port or relaxing on the balcony at night with a book before going to bed.

Isn't it wonderful that we can embrace our different perspectives.

Doesn't make either answer right or wrong. Because what's right for me might not be for you or others... Or vice versa.

I will say I have cruised in a balcony (no perks) and in a suite (with perks, albeit with a balcony). And my choice is still perks over balcony.

But how many on here who say balcony over perks have never cruised in a suite so can't really say which scenario is better, because they can't draw from personal experience... Only guessing.

You made the right decision taking the suite. The perks and VIP status WILL make your cruise. On the down side, you only earn latitudes points based on your initial booking. Upgrading to a suite does not earn you double points.

You're going to love it! Don't bank on those extra points, they wouldn't give them to us last time because it was an upgrade and not paid for. I tried to argue for them to no avail:D But who knows, policies may have changed.

Hmmmm.....My travel agent assured me that I would receive the extra points, but I just read the fine print on the Latitudes page, and I see where they say that suite must be booked on original reservation.

That would be a disappointment, for sure. Since the fare I paid, is the same as what the SJ is selling for now, perhaps that will help my case. I'll let my TA battle it out with them if they don't give it to me. Will have to wait and see.....