The Truth About Tipping

P&OMAN

Scotty G - thanks for a very informative post. I almost didn't open this thread b/c I've read too many tip threads, LOL, but I'm glad I did. I have one question: the auto tip amount, meaning they have to take cash from their own pockets to cover it, right?you mention that if a crew member receives a cash tip from a passenger who opted out of the auto tip and the cash amount is less than what the crew member would have received through the auto tip the crew member has to pay the difference between the cash and I could understand having to hand over the whole cash tip but supplementing it with their own cash seems wrong to me (not saying you are wrong, just the practice). In any case, again, thanks for a very informative read.

Ginnie

I dont think so. I believe (and I may be wrong) what navylark was trying to say was that if a passenger removed or opted out of aut grats and only tipped cash, then the crew member has to give in only the amount he/she would have recieved under auto grats and anything above he/she keeps. basically if the passenger cash tipped less than the auto grat amount it all gets turned in. if the passenger tips more than the auto grat amount, the auto grat amount gets turned in and the rest gets kept by the crew member.

In the US Tipping is an understood part of the customer / server relationship.

In the UK and other parts of the world however a tip / gratuity is "a voluntary additional payment made for services rendered when service excedes expectations"

and the 2 key parts there is --voluntary -- and -- when service excedes expectations --

I don't like being told that I have to do something when it a voluntary thing.

I do tip on board but I think that the simple soloution is a name change -- 'Service Charge'

The crew has access to their RCL accounts on the ship's network. As soon as gratuities are collected for a person or group who complete the form on board they appear in the crew members's accounts. If you prepay it appears in their account as soon as you are issued your Seapass and bing onto the ship.

A few weeks ago on Oasis, our room attendant thanked us on night 6 for our pre-paid tips. She told us they were just told that day who all pre-paid. So, what you said, I think, is another one of those things we really don't know.

But I agree with some of the others. Just pay at least what is recommended and don't worry about others' chosen salaries.

I just wonder how much the services rendered to those who pre-pay differs from those who do not pre-pay, since they are assured those gratuities. Carnival on the other hand claims that it does not tell its employees who has removed the gratuities that they auto charge to the onboard account.

We always pre- pay our tips with final payment and then tip extra in cash to waiters, assistants, room steward, and of course we tip the Concierge and CL bar waiter etc.

I find it reprehensible that guests would quiz the staff about their wages and how much they get from tipping. How would the guests feel if it was the other way around? Of course you would immediately report that person and get them in trouble. Imagine having a 6 figure income and having to justify why you don't believe in the tipping scheme. It would sure shine a light on the cheapskates.

I have always auto tipped in advance and still presented the stateroom attendants and waiters a top up at the end of the cruise.

I intended to just cash tip for my next cruise as I wanted to ensure that it all went to the staff that looked after me during the cruise. I do not want the cruise line taking a cut of the tips.

Having read this string I may revisit my decision. The thought of the staff having to pay cash tips back to the company is so wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 4 weeks later...

Tips are for service they are not for salary. And I will not be forced to prepay tips.. That being said, I usually tip at least three times as much as is required, but to different people across the ship, including my waiter, room steward etc...

When I was younger I worked at an amusement park at a set salary, but I specifically worked in the gaming part of the park. If we beat quota then we got an hourly bonus. If we didn't nothing additional was paid to us. My guess is this is how the cruise lines use tipping to benefit everyone and punish no one. If the room steward was supposed to get $100 and he received 90, he would have to make up the difference, but at payday he would get that money back and a bonus if total ship tips were above the quota.

On the ship you add a gratuity to almost everything. I believe all those tips are shared among the ships service staff. Some might state that the think drinks only benefit the bar staff, but what about wine in the dining room. No bar staff sold the bottle, brought the bottle, or poured the bottle (my waiter did)

However even in the scenario given by the OP the crew loses nothing if you pay the correct amount or more. And assuming the tip pooling scenario is correct, they loose little if 10% of the passengers out out and pay nothing, since they will still get 90% of what was supposed to given to them.

The only way those 10% would hurt the service staff is if the cruise line kept all of the pooled tips to themselves.

I too do not come from a big tipping culture, we do leave some tips after restaurant lunch or dinner, but we don't generally tip for anything else.

I have prepaid gratuities for my upcoming suite. I have read that Concierge Lounge staff need to be tipped on top. We don't expect to be using CL much, definitely not every night. How would this work? Do I have to go back on the last night / last morning and give them tips (in cash or what?).

I have read that Concierge Lounge staff need to be tipped on top. We don't expect to be using CL much, definitely not every night. How would this work? Do I have to go back on the last night / last morning and give them tips (in cash or what?).

If you go in for drinks then you can tip as you go. I usually figure out what they would get if I bought the drinks and add a little for the extra service provided. The Concierge I tip based on service provided.

I have always tipped at least what is the sggested amount, even for what I thought was less than quality service. That said, I still do not like the auto-tip practice. I enjoy giving a card with my tip on the last night. It is something that just "feels" right. The staff works hard and except for on cruise back in 98 I have never had "bad" service. That cruie was a nightmare and I actually contacted the manager on day 4 of a 12 day cruise because I wanted some fresh towels (had mine on the floor and there they stayed!!! I asked a steward in the hall for linen). I do understand why pre-paid tips came about (too many people not tipping) but I still am not a fan. Now, OP, if you want to or don't want to tip...that is up to you on Royal but at some point Royal may become like some other lines and only have pre-paid that must be paid.

• 4 weeks later...

I am taking my first solo cruise and will be paying a 200% fare. I assume I will be expected to pay a double tip also. While I think that's fair for a cabin steward since his work will be the same for one or two, I resent being expected to pay everyone else. What is the policy here? I want to pre-pay for one and then leave the cabin steward an additional amount. How do I handle this without looking cheap?

I am taking my first solo cruise and will be paying a 200% fare. I assume I will be expected to pay a double tip also. While I think that's fair for a cabin steward since his work will be the same for one or two, I resent being expected to pay everyone else. What is the policy here? I want to pre-pay for one and then leave the cabin steward an additional amount. How do I handle this without looking cheap?

It is not expected for you to pay double tips even to the room steward.

What I do (and I do not travel solo) is leave a couple of bucks every day for the room steward, a piece of snack candy, and a note thanking him for something/anything be it keeping my cooler full of ice, towel animal, or the cabin so neat. One of the first things I thank them for is promptness of making my cabin up in the morning when I am at breakfast and while I am at dinner. I put the make up the room thingee out so they know when I am not there. They have so many cabins, typically 16 or so, to service that it can been noon or later in the morning and nine or later in the evening before they can get to them. This is in addition to the auto tips that have to be prepaid for MTD. The tip money I leave in the cabin goes directly into their pocket vs. what has been alluded to in other threads a portion of the auto tip going to support staff.

At the least, I've had a newbestfriend and, on occasions, amenities have appeared that ordinarily go to suite guests.

So rather than double tip the steward who will not expect it, try dribbling out extra money over the week and see if you get more bang for your buck (pun intended).

Another thing that is almost worth more to service crew than cash is a mention by name in the exit survey. This gets them promotions and extra days off.

Tucker in Texas

I will not mention any names but i was on a cruise in june 2012 and on speaking to my cabin steward about auto tipping he told me that if two of the cabins he looked after did not give him an excellent report half way through the cruise he lost his tips for that cruise. He informed me that all crew members felt the same as he did, and would prefer getting cash. So i cancelled my auto tip and gave cash instead. Did i do the right thing?

I cruise solo and use the prepaid tips. I also double the tip for the cabin attendant and add additional cash for the MDR waiters but I don't double the amount. I agree that it is fair to double the tip for the cabin attendant, whether you give it daily or at the end of the cruise, because in the ordinary course, there would be at least two people in the cabin. With two exceptions I've always gotten very good to excellent service from my cabin attendants.

I never prepay. I give what I believe is fair to the one who is doing a good job. My last stateroom attendant became a FB friend. He was an amazing worker and very kind as well. I gave him cash - twice. I overtipped him because he deserved it. I'm hoping he got to keep the extra I gave him! He's the BEST!

I normally overtip when we go out to eat, when I get my hair cut, when a service worker has gone above and beyond. I'm not cheap, but I don't want anyone telling me what I HAVE to tip. If that's the case, like someone else said, call it a service charge, as that's exactly what it is.

I will not mention any names but i was on a cruise in june 2012 and on speaking to my cabin steward about auto tipping he told me that if two of the cabins he looked after did not give him an excellent report half way through the cruise he lost his tips for that cruise. He informed me that all crew members felt the same as he did, and would prefer getting cash. So i cancelled my auto tip and gave cash instead. Did i do the right thing?

Sounds fishy to me. I've yet to see a procedure, nor have I've been asked, to "rate" my cabin steward half way through the cruise. Why would he lose his tips, and to who?

I don't understand why you guys keep asking about this, they don't ask me about how I get paid, why should you?

Sounds fishy to me. I've yet to see a procedure, nor have I've been asked, to "rate" my cabin steward half way through the cruise. Why would he lose his tips, and to who?

I don't understand why you guys keep asking about this, they don't ask me about how I get paid, why should you?

I agree there is something off b/c I've never been asked about my cabin attendant during any cruise except on the evaluation form at the end of the cruise.

I think these stewards are playing games with the nosy people. I know I would, making it a game to help pass the weeks. Seems some cruisers attempt to befriend these hard working people like they are some long lost relative. Or they are trying to be charitable to feel better in some way.

I just try to be polite and respectful. First thing we tell the steward when we meet for the first time is "Relax, we will not be a pain in the butt" and not wave half a $50 bill in their face commanding that our ice bucket be filled 24/7.

I think these stewards are playing games with the nosy people. I know I would, making it a game to help pass the weeks. Seems some cruisers attempt to befriend these hard working people like they are some long lost relative. Or they are trying to be charitable to feel better in some way.

I just try to be polite and respectful. First thing we tell the steward when we meet for the first time is "Relax, we will not be a pain in the butt" and not wave half a $50 bill in their face commanding that our ice bucket be filled 24/7.

Well said!

He may have been referring to another line. On NCL, supervision provides a form in the room, mid cruise, asking for any problems/comments. I don't know about the losing tips thing though.

Okay, but I don't see the problem if you tip the recommended amount or more in cash. When I sailed on the NOS last year I tipped in £ sterling (which was easier for me as a brit) although didn't convert the currency, for example instead of $10 I would have given £10, thus giving more than the recommended amount.

If my waiters or room steward then had to pool only the recommended amount they would not have had to give all the money tipped. auto tipping forces people to tip which is fair enough, but if you are going to tip and are not trying to get out of it or give less what is wrong with tipping in cash?

He may have been referring to another line. On NCL, supervision provides a form in the room, mid cruise, asking for any problems/comments. I don't know about the losing tips thing though.

I have been on a number of NCL cruises. I recalling seeing such a form, but I do not recall being encouraged by stewards (or anybody else) to use the form. If they "needed" a couple positive reviews mid cruise to earn tips, I imagine, they'd have asked me to please complete the form (as Royal Caribbean staff regularly do near the end of the cruise). Perhaps having a daily service charge on the bill (vs optional gratuities) gives NCL more incentive to identify and fix any service issues (real or perceived) sooner. Or maybe NCL just wants to get reports of service issues sooner.

Of course, incentives offered by management could vary. Some ship(s) on some cruiseline(s) may have tried adding incentives for people earning kudos from guests by midcruise.

Archived