Sickness Patches - (Transderm Scop)

ticktoneer

Can anyone tell me more about these sickness patches from experience please?

I'm doing a 23 day sailing on Independence shortly which starts with a TA going through the Bay of Biscay. I'm not usually sea sick but feel like I want to make double sure this time.

Thanks - Mark :-)

We never had a problem with them but I have read where people do have adverse side effects. One key thing to remember is you wear a patch for three days. On the fourth day, remove the old patch and place a new one "on the opposite ear."

Ask you doctor is he/she will be willing to prescribe one patch to try out to see if you are suitable to wearing them. That way if you do have any side effects you have time to come up with an alternative plan to prevent sea sickness.

I wore one recently on Majesty. I am extremely prone to motion sickness. I did feel sick one night, but I didn't have any side effects from the patch. I tried it out a few weeks before the actual cruise to make sure I didn't have any. I took Bonine with it. My pharmacist's wife uses both and he advised me that it would be okay.

I'm one who cannot use the patch. The side effects for me were very blurry vision (couldn't even focus to read anything!) very dry mouth and I just didn't feel good. I never used it again. I use chewable Bonine and it works great for me. Non-drowsy (although some say it makes them sleepy) and you can drink with it. I haven't been seasick since I started using it.

I've used the transderm scopolamine patch on many cruises over the past 29 years, and they work very well. I'm very prone to motion sickness, and get car sick riding to the store. That being said, I'm willing to tolerate a few side effects. Dry mouth is the most noticable side effect that I've had, along with some mild blurred vision. I have noticed no increase in side effects with alcohol consumption, either. For me, these have been a godsend!

Transderm scopolamine patches work very well for a lot of people for seasickness. That said, they have a lot of side effects, some of which may or may not be tolerable for you. I personally cannot use them--side effects were too uncomfortable for me.

You really should have this conversation with your own physician. He or she will be the best person to help you determine what will work best for you with the least side effects. What works for one person, might be the wrong meds for someone else.

What is Bonine? Everyone on here says its good but I can't get it in the UK

:-( :-( :-(

RCCL sells bonine on their ships. I have used the scopolamine patch and it work out really well. The problem was the blurred vision, I love to read and I couldn't. It was either the patch or reading, I choose to read and use bonine. I have to tell you that crossing the Bay of Biscay on the Independence was rough, to say the least. Even the Ice Show had to be cancelled!! The IOS is a beautiful ship, hope you enjoy it!!

What is Bonine? Everyone on here says its good but I can't get it in the UK

:-( :-( :-(

Hi,

bonine is a brand name medication sold OTC in US. The active ingridient is a generic medicine named meclizine or meclozine.

There are many more brand names for this medication - depending how they want to market it and how they want to price it.

The most economical way to purchase it ( in US ) is to buy it as meclizine. I have seen in it ( there might be 12.5 mg as well), 25 mg and 50 mg dosage. The 50mg is sold when Rx is written - it also might be called Antivert.

You should be able to find it in UK under the name Sea Legs or some other names as well.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/travel-health/medicines/sea-legs.html

I am extremely prone to motion sickness. My first few cruises I used the patch with no problem. Then it started bothering me - not just the dry mouth I was just tired and not able to focus mentally on the cruise.

The past few cruises I started using Bonine. I take one the night before the cruise and each night during the cruise. I like the non-drowsy chewable version because I can take one and almost immediatly get relief. I also take ginger capsules.

I have to use them for flying and car trips if I'm not driving.

Wow, two threads running at the same time on a close subject.

I posted on the other thread our family uses the scop patches, and yes some times people complain about the blurry vision and the dry mouth.

The key to any remedy is find what works for you.

But, remember what ever you use keep HYDRATED.

With non alcoholic beverages, ideally water.

Some other choices:

Bonine

Dramamine

Phenergan

Ginger (tablets, snaps, ale)

Scop patches

Wrist bands.

Hypnosis

Whatever you choose, good luck.

safe travels.

Sue and crew

How about : traveleeze ?

"Active ingredients

Meclozine Hydrochloride"

Hooray ! You're a star !!!!!

The websites I looked at were obviously wrong - lol

They are 12.5mg in each pastille. Do you know a good dose is for a rugby player build guy as I've seen 30mg on here previously?

"Active ingredients

Meclozine Hydrochloride"

Hooray ! You're a star !!!!!

The websites I looked at were obviously wrong - lol

They are 12.5mg in each pastille. Do you know a good dose is for a rugby player build guy as I've seen 30mg on here previously?

The dosage might be different for different people - my wife ( about 120lb) takes 12.5 mg and is OK with it, someone 190 or 200 lbs might need 25mg.

Try and see what works for you.

I'm doing a 23 day sailing on Independence shortly which starts with a TA going through the Bay of Biscay. I'm not usually sea sick but feel like I want to make double sure this time.

The scop patches are ok just be careful, and a lot depends on your age and also mixing alcohol....I observed more side effects, ie blurry vision confusion, imbalance in folks >60yo

For a long trip, I would suggest taking bonine(meclazine) with you, and just take 1/2tab, a whole one may make you sleepy. Usual dose is 12.5-25mg.

I can attest to GINGER CAPSULES!!!! ABSOLUTELY NO SIDE EFFECTS WHATSOEVER!!!!!!!! You can drink to your hearts or livers content on these & all you'll feel is NO SEA SICKNESS!!!! My husband gets terribly motion sick & we've been using them since our first cruise & won't leave home w/o them!!!! He'll take 2 capsules 45 min to an hour before we sail & then 2 more every 2-4 hours, depending on how rough it is out there. He keeps them in the night stand so in case he wakes up in the middle of the night they're right there to pop 2 more & go back to sleep. NO sleepiness or anything else from them!!! You can buy them anywhere.

**talk to your doctor to see what he/she believes is best for you**

that being said, i never get motion sickness, but I did use the patch for our last cruise (honeymoon!) just to be safe. as others have said, it is important to change as directed and use as directed.

DH and I had no side effects that we identified, including those connected to alcohol consumption ;)

Mark,

scopolamine is a powerful drug so be careful if you decide to use the patch.

I have used the transderm scopolamine patch in my younger days, on one cruise it worked well with just some blured vision, on another I could not even see, or walk straight. Many people use them and they are OK with it and some are worse off. Maybe your doc can advise you.

Look at the link about scopolamine - it is a strong medicine:

http://rense.com/general38/frug.htm

I have tried Ginger tablets when going deep sea fishing and I still got sick. I have also tried the patch when going deep sea fishing and it worked great once and I got sick the 2nd time. My first cruise I didn't know if I would get sea sick and sure enough the first night at dinner I was feeling it and went to guest relations and they gave me pills to take free of charge and as long as I took them every 12 hours I was fine. So all of my following cruises I have been taking Dramamine.

I'm one of the people the patch does not work on. I used it on my cruise in June and was miserable. Nauseous, and sleepy the entire cruise. Prior to trying the patch, I used Bonine. I will definitely be going back to bonnie for my November cruise. Some people swear by the patch. But just know that what works for others may not work for you. Always have a back-up plan. I didn't and my experience suffered.

Archived